“Moderate - but I guess it's the value for the money you pay there”

Motel One Wien Westbahnhof
Ranked #83 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We came to this hotel for 5 nights as a part of our Berlin-Prague-Vienna-Budapest trip.
We booked this hotel because it was highly rated in TripAdvisor and relatively cheap for Vienna.
The location is good, near Westbahnhof so it's comfortable to move around through your visit by U bahn or international trains and you don't have to walk with your luggage.
There's also a pretty good mall inside the Bahnhof (DM, supermarket, Deichmann, clothes, fast food...everything!), I enjoyed shopping there.
The hotel is big, I'm not used to big hotels in Europe, tidy and looks pretty new.
BUT
I have few things to say. I don't think I had high expectations, just the usual things I can find in any European hotel.
1. They don't have minibar. I don't eat or drink from it but use it as a refrigerator for food . And they don't have that. So in case you wanna eat in the hotel things you buy at the supermarket - it's impossible. (Or keep refrigerated drugs...)
2. The breakfast is standard and ok (salami, ham, boiled eggs, croisons, buns, butter, hot and cold drinks, cucumber and tomato. fruit salad, yogurts...) but it's the SAME every morning, they don't change ANYTHING. So unless you love all this particular food, you'll want something else after eating it twice. Somethig that bothered me a little - you cannot peel the boiled eggs! the egg falls apart. They forget to put it in cold water or something. Really bothers me dealing with "unpeelable" eggs. But maybe it's just me...
3. They barely give you a soap. The only thing they give you in the beginning is 2 little bottles of a general shampoo-soap-everything fluid (great smelling though), and refill just one each day. My boyfriend used it and it wasn't enough.
No body lotion, no shampoo, no shower cap, no ear cleaning things...
4. Although it is October in Vienna, inside the hotel was really hot. We wanted to use the air conditioning but it didn't work. When we asked the receptionist about it she said that it's not so hot and it's not so cold, so they turned it off. There are warm blankets and really hot inside, and it's difficult to sleep that way. We opened the window but it was noisy...
5. It's really crowded on the weekend at the breakfast time (8:30-9:30), and hard to find a place to sit, although the waiters clean really fast.
6. Somehow the receptionists aren't that nice to you...

The good things:
1. Clean and tidy.
2.Great hairdryer (for those who need it)
3.Nice soap. But too little.
4. Quiet although in a central location.
5. WiFi in the rooms - free with a code, but just for one devise. So if you have laptop and smartphone - you can use the WiFi on one of them only.
6. Great towels! Fluffy and white.
7.Great coffee machines at breakfast, have a great variety of hot drinks!
8. Quick check inn and check out.
9. Great shower! Big and clean.

So I will give this hotel 3 stars, mostly because I really need a mini bar in a room and cannot sleep well when it's hot. If this doesn't bother you -it's a moderate hotel with a lot of rooms, and it is cheap for Vienne and has a good location.

Room Tip: The windows are good so It's quiet everywhere unless you open them
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank InnaMiznikov

Reviewed 8 October 2012

Stayed in this property for 1 night in Sep 12. Overall it was a good stay and I recommend this place.

Pro:
- Clean, modern, comfortable bed
- Location near train station, metro and tram. Also near to ATMs and shops. However it was far from the old town centre
- Can store luggage before check in
- Value for money
- :Have air con, lcd tv
- good water pressure
- linens provided

Cons:
- No early check in (not sure whether its policy or just my bad luck)
- Free Wifi only available at the lobby and even that was a bit on and off. Need to pay extra for the in room wifi. For some reason from their ad I got the impression that it would be throughout the hotel (not sure whether it’s just me who misunderstood)
- Reception seems to be understaffed as need to wait for a 10 mins or so each time you want to store/take from luggage room (I store it before check in and after check out

If you find my review helpful, appreciate if you can press that "helpful" vote. Thanks!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank Ti_Chan
Reviewed 8 October 2012

A new stylish hotel with very poor facilities. It's locate near Westbahnhof Station, (train and metro). The breakfast was ok but nothing special.
No telephone at the rooms,the only way to communicate with hotel staff is to queue at reception, no mini bar and soap for hands, The rooms are quiet with double facing windows.
The staff was friendly but they don't give you any information or help about the sights or tour in Vienna.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Seleari M
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I was bitterly disappointed with this hotel – and deeply grateful we were only spending one night there. Yes it is extremely elegant. I take design much too seriously, and there's no faulting the design at this hotel. But the unpleasant discoveries start soon after check-in (which itself took more than 20 minutes, thank to the hordes of other people queuing at the check-in desk. We'd soon find out why).

It was a boiling late-September day in Vienna. When we got to the room – which was even hotter than the street outside – we went straight for the air con. Except that it didn't work. I wanted to phone reception to report this problem, but there's no phone in the room! So back down to reception, where there was another 20-minute queue. Not everyone is checking in, you see. The only way to communicate with hotel staff is to queue at reception.

When I got to the front, I was told that there isn't actually a problem with my room's air con. The previous week was quite cold, you see, so the air con now only works for heating. If I switch it to 25C, it will start working. But I don't want the room to be 25C, I said. I want it to be cold. Well that just can't happen. The entire building's air con is now set to heating mode, and it will be like that until March or April, at which point it will be set to cold again. (What happens if you visit Vienna in spring during a late cold snap? You'll have no heating, that's what.)

And then the person at reception actually suggested that, to cool down the room, I sleep with the window open. Really? You mean the window that looks out on four lanes of traffic, a massive tram stop and all of Vienna West railway station? That's guaranteed to give me a great night's sleep! (I did open the window to check. I will say that its soundproofing is truly excellent.)

We had breakfast, which was €7.50 and included "free" wi-fi. Like the rest of the hotel, the breakfast area was incredibly stylish, but overrun with people (with whom you have to share a table). It felt a bit like having breakfast on the Starship Enterprise – and not in a good way.

The large billboard outside the hotel (and the website) advertises rooms from €69 a night. We paid €159 because there was a conference in town. (A useful policy for the hotel: this is Vienna, where there is almost always a conference in town.) Had we paid just €69 for the room, I might have gritted my teeth and figured you get what you pay for. But if you pay €159, I'd like some air con, please, and a telephone, so I can phone the hotel when there's a problem.

Avoid avoid avoid.

Room Tip: If it's the middle of summer or winter, a street view would be nice. If it's spring or autum...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ThereGoesDeon
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I stayed at this hotel for two nights after flying a long haul flight from Australia. The room was comfortable for one person but would be slightly over-cosy for two people. The bathroom was well-equipped. I stayed on the 5th level which was relatively quiet from street noise. The rooms were a little hot, as were the hallways. I did not have breakfast at the hotel so cannot comment on the quality of food. I do note they do not have a restaurant operating in the evening. The hotel is conveniently located at Westbanhof train station where you can board regional trains (although not to Slovakia which I needed). There is also an underground and tram stop across the road. The aiport bus has the second of its stops just outside the hotel which is very convenient. I would recommend this hotel, although they did allow pets in at least the lobby area of the hotel which is a bit of a turn off for me (not sure if they were permitted in rooms).

Room Tip: The higher floors are better
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank sydcarnie
Reviewed 4 October 2012

Bed was very comfortable, room was tiny, I had to ask for a change as was not as requested/booked. Reception staff were fairly indifferent to questions and issues.

Overall if you get it cheap ie less than 80/90€, its fine. I paid 150 and its DEFINITELY not worth that at all.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Mark O
Reviewed 2 October 2012

Motel I is a very tidy, functional hotel and serves the purpose of protecting peple from the elements for a couple of nights very well. However if you, as many of us are these days, heavily reliant on the Internet then you are in for a shock. Their system is completely and utterly useless. It is reliant on reception handing scraps of paper with codes and numbers that either don't work at all or at best work showing no more than 1 bar, so you spend 10 minutes trying to retrieve one email. I tried signing on with yet another scrap of paper with codes, in the lobby and spent half an hour tearing what little hair I have left out in frustration and in the end gave up. I went back to the reception and complained and the pleasant man behind the counter announced, "I will fix it now, mein Herr!" at which he started tapping furiously on his keyboard at a rate that looked like he was entering a pile of launch codes in to organise a landing on Mars! Finally wiping the sweat from his brow, he proudly handed me anther scrap of paper and said, "THIS IS THE NEW CODES HAVE A NICE DAY!!" So I went back to the bar and said to my wife, "Sorted, dear!" to which she dryily observed, "Yeah right, I'll believe that when I see it!" and guess, what SHE WAS RIGHT!!! I spent another half an NOT GETTING ON LINE and just decided to go in to Vienna centre to the fabulous "Cafe Central", and stuff myself with cakes and where they have a perfectly, fast internet connection that just WORKS!!!

Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business