“Nice overview of the city”
Review of Red Bus City Tours

Red Bus City Tours
Ranked #119 of 146 Tours in Vienna
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
Reviewed 1 November 2012

I arranged for us to take this tour the very first day we arrived in Vienna in order to get our bearings. With the tour I bought (tour 2), we also got a free walking tour of the city (tour 3), that we did the next day. Both were great. The tour guides were very helpful and knowledgeable. During the tour we got a small break and time to look around the Schönbrunn Palace. It was a short stop. We looked around outside and then came back later on our own time.

1  Thank Busy Marie

Reviewed 18 September 2012

I would have to agree with some of the other reviews here - for your money, you'll get a lot better quality elsewhere.

We paid for the €24 tickets, which entitled us to the longer 2 1/2 tour, plus a free walking tour in the afternoon. The tickets we purchased the day before, and after some confusion with who we thought was our "tour guide" the next morning, but ended up just being a ticket salesman, we found our way onto the bus with a driver who was well versed in Russian and German, but no English. That wasn't too much of a hassle.

For a company that advertises "no waits, we depart on time", we left 15 minutes late, and the 20- and 30-minute stops were about 5-10 minutes longer, also with very little communication from our driver.

I must say the commentary was terrible. As mentioned before, the timing of the commentary was off many times, so you either had already passed what it was telling you about, or you had to wait to see it - it left you very confused as to what you were actually seeing.

The walking tour in the afternoon didn't improve any - we were out of luck again, being two English-only speakers in a group of around ten, which in a way meant we got our own personal spiel from the tour guide, however for a tour that is supposed to take you around the main sights of downtown Vienna in 90 minutes, after an hour we had still barely gone 500m because our guide kept getting sidetracked by the other people on the tour asking continuous questions about the entire three places we managed to see. We excused ourselves from the tour and kept walking ourselves.

I would definitely recommend a different tour company if you are in Vienna.

2  Thank N M
Reviewed 15 July 2012

Me and my family wanted to see most of the city so we took the longer two and a half hour tour by Redbus city tours, this was a bad choice.

Since we're a family of 5 we had to pay 84 Euros, much more expensive than any other hop-on, hop-off tour we've been to.
Along the way we lost one of the tickets and they made us pay for another one DESPITE us having purchases the tickets all together from the same person and they had serial numbers in increasing order.
Since we're a family we would have no other use for the ticket other than the tour.

When we first saw the bus we were pleased that it wasn't too large but it certainly moves just as slow and slugishly as a truck, I think the driver was sleepy because he himself was bored by the tour.

As soon as we chose our seats we realized how uncomfortable the seats were, they were small and rigid and we were squeezed between the front and back seats.

The audio commentary for English had a sometimes difficult to understand accent

The commentary seemed to play BEFORE or AFTER the sights were in our view, so sometimes you couldn't tell what they were talking about.
The bus driver had to point to the sites and only spoke in Gerrman, regardless he was very nice and helpful and tried to do his part by making the tour better.

We had 30 and 20 minute "Resting" periods which wasted a lot of time and did nothing but leave us in the freezing cold, we could have done with just two 10 minute breaks.

The people on the bus all agreed that the tour is bad, and when the commentary abruptly ended at the end of the tour, no one really cared and we were all HAPPY to leave the bus and go home after this utterly miserable tour.

2  Thank samer131
Reviewed 21 June 2012

As an introduction to any city, a city tour is worth doing, but this tour was just OK - or as I was told at school "can do better".

The tour lasted 2 1/2 hours and covered all the major attractions. It happened to be a very hot day and the big coach had just two couples - the driver was 10 mins late and left us sweltering, when he could have left the engine running to power the air con to help the attending tour guide and lonely customers.

The multi-lingual headsets were like rejects from Aldi and consequently the narration was a bit of a challenge. The pre-recorded narration was not checked for accuracy as even I know that the the 2nd world war did not take place in 1918 ! I have no idea what other mis-truths I was told.

The driver would occasionally wave an arm left or right accompanied by a German expression - it could have been a swear word for all I know. I think it was designed to indicate something that we just heard about or were about to hear about - never did quite work it out.

It was very hot and we were all uncomfortable, but having the driver curse the traffic and an occasional driver did not help. Naturally we stopped at the 'RedBus' Tourist shop selling 'souvenirs', but one gets to expect that.

However, without the tour we would have wasted a lot of time trying to understand the city - just choose a better tour company.

1  Thank sbadert