“Total Rubbish. Avoid like the plague!!!!”
Review of Red Bus City Tours

Red Bus City Tours
Ranked #119 of 146 Tours in Vienna
Type: Bus Tours, Tours
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The worst bus tour I've ever been on. Why?

1. The audio guide spoke English so quickly it was nearly impossible to keep up with what was being said.
2. The audio system kept breaking.
3. We were forced to stop for 20 minutes at a gift shop in a nothing part of town.
4. Getting back from the gift shop required a lengthy drive through a boring part of the city.

2  Thank fussy_bear2010

Reviewed 14 July 2013

They really don't get it - I've been on bus tours in many a city. The rest were great - this was a huge disappointment, was frustrating, and really, I just wanted my money back. When purchasing the long tour I thought, wow, we're going to see a lot on one of the open buses, have a stop at the Schloss, great. They put us on a loudly air-conditioned bus with tinted windows and drove around. Reading other reviews now, I should have read the reviews before! They don't tell you about the first 20 min trashy souvenir stop where it's actually about the architecture living building around the corner. You can't really take pictures through these windows (the reason to go) and the driver was all, 'sorry, problem' like my concern was un-based when the audio isn't in sync with the travel and most of the headphones didn't work. I happened to see the office of red bus around the corner, went in, and the woman there got immediately on the phone to some friend about something else, knowing the stop is only 20 minutes. There was a group of Asian tourists traveling together and they had to plea with the driver not to take off without them as they were running beside the bus! Not a professional company. I asked if I could go on one of their shorter tours afterwards to be able to take some pictures on one of their open buses since I had paid the premium price and had been locked on the bus. "Sorry, problem" (shrug) answer. Banging my lens every time I tried to take a shot at breakneck speed at actual scenic views (which we didn't stop at) and then waited while we paused at stop corners that made no sense. Totally DO NOT use this tour company to see Vienna. You are better off going on the subway to the Schloss for a day. Then go on the subway to the Museum area for a day. Then see if another company strikes your fancy that has an open top bus. The arrogance of this group really turned me off Wien in general...luckily I met lots of nice people in different places we went on our own...

4  Thank ErinDCTO
Reviewed 2 July 2013

This little tour was perfect for a good overview of the area. Our tour today was fine, the audio in perfect sync with what we saw and lovely music in between. I want to comment on one complaint I have seen consistently re this tour company...the 20 minute stop. It is NOT for the souvenir shops! It is so you can walk around the corner and see one of the most photographed neighborhoods in Vienna, Hundertwasser Kraeins Haus! BUT,you would never know why you are stopping unless you had done a little research. That stop was one of the primary reasons I took this tour. It is a shame that the company does not do a better job of highlighting this and actually tell you on the audio why the interruption. So many people seem to miss it and end us angry...it is a shame.

2  Thank Mandi1Mom
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

Other reviews are pretty accurate. I did the 1.5 hour tour of which 20 minutes the bus stopped at a terrible souvenir shop. The headphone systems on most seats don't work. The explanation of locations are very brief. My parents were listening to the guide in Hindi - the guide spoke terrible Hindi. English guide was OK.

1  Thank TitterTot_Reviews
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Four of us took the Redbus 1-1/2 hour of Vienna yesterday. It was atrociously bad.

Avoid this tour!!!

The tour involves a bus driver and a recorded sound track that the driver cues up site by site as they drive the route. Our driver repeatedly miscues the narrative sound track, so the description didn't match what we could see (no statue visible, etc.). He also kept re-cueing sites, apparently as he thought he'd done something too early. The result would've been funny if it wasn't so obviously off.

Also, the sound track would describe a building 1-1/2 blocks down a side street -- but didn't tell you to look there. If you didn't figure it out, you'd assume it was describing the building adjacent to the bus. We discovered this during the mandatory 20 minute "souvenir shopping" stop. We skipped the cheap seen-one-you've-seen-dozens souvenir stand and walked down an interesting side street for a few minutes. Lo and behold, there was the building described in the narrative. Who knew?? We certainly didn't because the narrative didn't tell us where to look... and with the moving bus, we would've only had a milisecond glance of the building if we'd known it was there.

The tour was amazingly bad.

One bad Rick Steve's recommendation.

We've learned well -- only take a tour with a live tour guide who can direct your attention to the sites.

Avoid this tour company!!!

2  Thank Richard S