“I hade a nice accomodation at this hotel”

Boutique Hotel Donauwalzer
Ranked #65 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 18 November 2009

I have been twice to this hotel. The first time with my husbund in December 2008, we were very sutiscfied with the room, small but clean and comfortable, the stuff nice and helpfull, the breakfast rich and delicius the price was low and the location very convinient, the tram station right in front of the hotel entrance and the U6 station 3-4 miniuts walking. That's why the second time I visited Vienna, with my mother in November 2009 I stayed again in Donauwalzer and I had the same excellent experience.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank SAPXanthi
DonauwalzerOwner, Owner at Boutique Hotel Donauwalzer, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2010

Dear SAPXanthi,

thank you very much for your comments on our hotel.
I am glad to hear that you visited us already twice - and fore sure also next time when you come to our city.
As we are always improving our services and constantly renovating our hotel, you will be surprised how things change in here.
Looking forward to your next visit,
Best regards from snowy Vienna,
Katharina Kluss

Write a ReviewReviews (1,009)

Reviewed 20 October 2009

I stayed at the hotel with my wife during April 2009. I asked for a room at 5th floor in order to avoid street noise, but on the contrary I had the noise of the train passing by the hotel, on a bridge. Room was spacious enough, not as clean as it should be (but I' ve seen worse), furniture rather old. I think that another part of the hotel had been renovated, but not the one I've stayed. The best thing of the hotel was the breakfast. Breakfast room is very very nice, spacious and confortable. Breakfast itself is typical German and top quality and buffet is very rich (and you hear classic while eating). Location is not so central. Metro stop is 5-7 mins away, Mariahilfer str. is 4 stops away (if I am not mistaken), but you need to change line for historical center (downtown). Better way to use the tram, whose stop is in front of hotel's main entrance. Neighborhood is a bit strange. Although there are shops, S/M ang fast foods opposite the main str. there are also strip bars, cabarets around, so it makes the whole thing a bit creepy at night. As a conclusion it is an average hotel near and far from everything.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vayio

Dear Vayio,
thank you for your interesting and details review on our hotel.
I am glad to notice that you liked it and especially enjoyed our rich hot breakfast buffet. Indeed it is one of the biggest and richest that you will find in this price and hotel category.
I just have one question? Why did you take the metro (and changed once) if the hotel is located in walking distance to the city centre, and therefore all cann be reached wlaking? or did you mean the imperial summer castle of Schönbrunn? This one (formaly located out of town) is reached with in 20 minutes by changing the metro once.
You inform us also, that there was a strip bar around. My family is runnign this hotel for now nearly 30 years, and I remember, that there was a bar. But it closed 10 years ago. Please be so kind to indicate me where you found this bar (directly on the street or hidden in an appartment or in a backyard?).
As you write youself, we are a middle classs hotel (which corresponds to our 3 star classification) with really good value for money (spa area, rich hot brekfast buffet, car parking, WLAN in the whole house, 24 hours open hotel bar, ...)
I hope you still have nice memories of your visit in our town and wish you a properours year 2010!
Katharina Kluss

Reviewed 22 August 2009

Our stay was fantastic. We stayed on the 4th floor with a tiny balcony overlooking the Alser Strasse station and the other quaint buildings in the neighborhood. We spoke with a couple of other guests staying on the 5th floor and I agree that the 5th floor is NOT the place to be at this hotel. As long as your room is on the 4th floor or lower you should be ok. Our room had a funky design to it, chandalier in the bedroom, a large tub in the bathroom. The bathroom was recently remodeled so everything was nice. It was easy to get downtown to all the touristy type places and we enjoyed taking the train everywhere. I would definately stay here again when/if I come back to Vienna.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank FloridaKat5
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We were travelling Switzerland, Austria, Italy and Germany and this was the worst hotel of all.
I have to say the reception staff were very polite, the breakfast adequate and the dining area looked newly refurbished.
Our room however was shocking. ....dirty walls, carpet and drapes and lots of cobwebs. The bed was so low, no box spring, so really a struggle to get up out of it and though a double, had two twin sheets wrapped sideways to cover the mattress. The bed sheets and towels were clean. We stayed 2 nights but our room was never made up, the maid thought we were leaving, so didn't bother, she did apologise though on the morning we left.
There was a sign saying the hotel was being renovated, obviously not reached the floor we were on, so maybe things can only get better.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lynsal
FamilieKluss, Inhaber at Boutique Hotel Donauwalzer, responded to this reviewResponded 4 days ago

Dear guest, as you might have seen, the hotel is now - since many years - under a new management. Since your last stay many renovations and improvements have taken place. We would love to welcome you here in our beautiful Boutique Hotel Donauwalzer and show you the many nice features and services our centrally located hotel offers. Looking forward hearing from you, sincerely Kluss Family

An Agoda Traveller
Reviewed 18 February 2009

• Stayed: February 2009

Reviewed 29 July 2008

I have booked this hotel due to its location and (low) price, after it was suggested by my travel agent. Before booking I have checked its website (in German), plus various reviews on the web. I must say that the room we've got was nothing like the pics I have seen here or on the web site. To be honest, I had a shock when we first entered it. It was a double (twin) on the 5th floor (actually the attic) and everything looked close to falling apart. Although we have waited for about 30 minutes as it was not check-in time yet, the room was not cleaned, bed-linen not changed etc. But that was solved pretty quickly and when we returned even the light bulb in the bathroom was replaced (the light was not working in the first place). The falling apart with stains wall-paper was still there, the so called furniture (in fact a tv table with the mini-bar and a drawer that were looking like "home-made") was still there, the minuscule, dirty-looking bath"room" was still there etc. But overall, it looked better than during the first encounter. At least the beds were comfortable. We stayed for 4 nights and in the end we got used to it, with the help of the friendly staff and the wonderful Vienna itself. One additional minus: the attic room can get quite hot in the summer and there is no AC. But you can sleep with the attic-window open and there is no noise whatsoever. Only the morning light gets right in your face so sleeping late is out of the question. Overall, as a cheap alternative, an acceptable stay if you're not picky.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank ontheroadsrl

Reviewed 20 June 2008

Hotel location is good cause it is near metro, and tram station is right in front of hotel. Everything in hotel is basic, it is a good place to stay if you want to save money and if you are travelling alone
(I would never bring my girlfriend there)

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dinamo8