“Good experience, on balance”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of K+K Palais Hotel

K+K Palais Hotel
Ranked #40 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Washington, DC
“Good experience, on balance”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

I stayed at the K&K Palais for four days in August while on a small-group tour of Austria. In recent years, I had enjoyed my stays at K&K hotels in London and Paris, so was looking forward to this stay. I must say that overall, my experience here didn't measure up to my previous K&K stays, but it was more than decent, after some initial problems. If I could have given it a TripAdvisor rating of 3.5, that would have been the most accurate rating.

The hotel was fully booked during my stay, and the initial room I was assigned (#601) was claustrophobic, dark and depressing - of a much, much lower standard than any other K&K room I've ever seen. The worst feature of the room was the absence of a working window, which seemed well below acceptable standards for a four-star hotel.The window was tiny and so high above the ground that you'd have to be ten feet tall to see out of it, unless you stood on a chair. It's the kind of attic room that I imagine used to be allotted to the second housemaid in a bygone era. I promptly called reception and requested a more acceptable room, and had to wait a couple of hours for another one to be made ready for occupancy, but I'm glad I went to the trouble. The room I ultimately got (#401) had exactly the same amount of floor space as the original room, but because it had normal ceilings instead of low, slanted ones, and a normal, working window (even if the only view was of a bare wall), it was an acceptable amount of space (though, again, not nearly as nice as other K&K hotel rooms I've stayed in). The room lacked storage space, so it was necessary to live out of my suitcase throughout the entire stay. On the positive side, it was clean and quiet, the bed was comfortable, and Internet service worked well. And fortunately, I didn't have to be in the room very much, except to sleep, so it didn't feel too claustrophobic.

The hotel had a good breakfast buffet, with very nice, hard-working staff; the front-desk staff was also generally pleasant and helpful. Would I stay at the K&K Palais again? I'm not sure; despite the positives, the quality of the rooms was rather disappointing. Next time I travel to Vienna, I think I'd search elsewhere for a true four-star experience.

Room Tip: Avoid attic rooms on the sixth floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank travelbug61

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

I had a weekend city break and chose this hotel because of the location within Vienna. It is situated just outside the city centre but close enough to walk to and it is situated in a quite square. The rooms are what I was expecting, well equipped and clean. The buffet breakfast was very well stocked. I got the airport bus to the city centre stop which was a 5 minute walk to the hotel at a cost of €8 for a single ticket , which took 20 mins, and compared to the taxi at €40 was a no brainer. The underground is also about 10 minute walk away. Fully recommend hotel if you are in Vienna.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

A great hotel offering everything you expect from KK. Comfy beds, pleasant bar area, excellent breakfast buffet, fluffy towels and plentiful toiletries. Quiet location, yet close to old town Vienna. Good restaurant next door as well. Would definitely use again.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 6 nights. I had a classic room, which was very comfortable and quiet The mattress was one of the best I have ever experienced at a hotel. No searching for that sweet spot. The rooms are cleaned daily and are spotless.
The front desk personnel are very professional and friendly. The breakfast was quite varied, fresh and very, very good.

The hotel is located across the street from a small park, Rudolphplatz, and is within walking distance to two different U-Bahn lines (subway) and within walking distance of the Inner Stadt. The hotel has free Wi-Fi, as well as a business center room, with a computer and printer, and there are other computer stations in the lobby.

I would highly recommend the K + K Palais, and would stay here again.

Room Tip: some top floor rooms have slanted ceilings.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

Good service: clean, quiet, cool suites, in the August heat. Breakfast good Staff courteous and friendly. Well located for walking round Vienna's (Wien) Inner Stadt, however Vienna's key attractions are fairly spread out (so would recommend the city bikes).
Eventually we found some useful guides to concerts and walks near the breakfast room, but wish they were offered on arrival or put in a more obvious place. Also regret that we didn't discover the City Bikes until day 3 of our stay. It is a typically executive hotel. Thank you

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie Z
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2014

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for three nights last week and we totally loved it. We stayed in an executive room which was very well appointed and the inclusion of the Samsung tablet was a welcome extra. Decor was lovely and despite our room being in close proximity to the elevator we heard no noise whatsoever, Breakfast was included in the price and offered a good selection and was served by friendly and attentive staff. Location was incredibly good and you are literally only a 2 min walk to the metro station and a two min walk to the airport shuttle bus which goes every half hour and is a fast, reliable and a good value option of getting to the airport (journey took 20 mins). I do have to say that the highlight of our stay was the attention and friendliness of all the staff in this hotel. They made us feel so welcome from the minute we walked in the door and were a wealth of information. We had travelled from Prague where we had also stayed in a K&K hotel and this one in Vienna was so much nicer and friendlier. Thank you very much to all the staff especially those on reception who were always ready to give excellent advice re where to go. If anyone reads this review and are travelling to Vienna before the end of August.... be sure to go to the Rathaus in the evenings/nighttime. There is an international food market in the park in front of the Rathaus and a free concert is screened every night. We went two nights and totally enjoyed the atmosphere. It is very popular and ends at the end of August. Thanks again to everyone at this wonderful, pretty, friendly, well located hotel
Many thanks
Niamh (Ireland)

Room Tip: Executive rooms are lovely but I would imagine that all rooms are of a high standard
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank banSHEIreland
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

I found all of the staff extremely attentive, and was pleased to find out that the rooms are cleaned daily. Quick tip: if you like stocking up on free soaps, keep taking them, as they get filled up every day! In a hot city like Vienna, the excellent air conditioning was much appreciated and was effective, even in 30 degree heat. The best part, for me, was the location - city centre in walking distance and a U-Bahn station nearby.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family