“Not up to Accor Standards”

Mercure Josefshof Wien am Rathaus
Ranked #82 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 August 2014

I had taken a Group to stay at this Hotel in Aug 2014. Except for its location, which is walking distance from all attractions, I think Accor should review about keeping this Hotel on its Franchise List. I had booked this Hotel directly instead of my Agent in Vienna, only because of the mails sent by the Reservation Head, that the Hotel would provide us the best of services. We were promised Tea/Coffee Makers in the Rooms, but when we arrived we were told that the Hotel only provides the Kettle & would charge 2 Euros for one set of tea/coffee/milk & sugar sachets per room per day. Being a Group Leader, I spoke to the GM, a lady, & was told that the Hotel does not follow Accor Rules because its a Franchisee.
I had never heard of such a rule during my long association with the Tourism Industry & especially in Accor Hotels, which I have been promoting because of the wonderful standards mantained by them worldwide. After a rough talk, I was able to convince the Manager & we started getting the sachets for the next 3 days.
Next point that came up from most of my Group members was that the they were experiencing electric power failure in their rooms & I was given the excuse that it was due to the switching on of the kettle, which means that the Hotel does not cater to this load in the rooms.
The Lift had a problem & some of my Group members felt the lift fall a few feet before coming to a halt, which is dangerous & could happen to anyone.
This just shows that the owners of the Hotel take the Accor for granted & do not take any negative reviews seriously.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
MercureJosefshof, Manager at Mercure Josefshof Wien am Rathaus, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Sumant48,

We are very sorry, that you now on tripadvisor say that you were not happy in the Mercure Josefshof Wien. I talked with you several times when you satid with your group in the hotel.
For the problems with the coffee and tea facilities we have to explain, that it is normally not included in the roomrate. Therefore there was a missunderstanding with the receptionists and your clients, but we changed it when I was informed by one of your client on the next morning. And they got tea and coffee for free. We are very sorry about that troubles.
The second point is that it is really very important for us to offer our Clients the Accor Standards. There is no difference in being Franchise or not. We offer the services in our best way and when we know the guest wishes we try to offer it.
The problem with one or two kettles was really that they did not work. When we were informed, we changed the kettles at once and there were no more complain.
We got no complain about the lift, but we w´ll check it today, because as you mentioned, it is dangerous for our guests.

E. Neubauer

Write a ReviewReviews (1,474)

Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights from 12-15th August, was very satisfied with the room size and facilities and the bed was very comfortable. Towels changed daily and room kept very clean. Staff also very approachable and helpful with almost flawless English spoken. Check in and out were both prompt and efficient. Location excellent, very close to tram and U Bahn services to the centre of Vienna. The staff kindly loaned me a hotel umbrella when it was raining heavily outside.

Only three minor criticisms: not much of a view (but I didn't have a privilege room), they insisted on deposit in advance to cover the mini bar/room services (but this is fairly standard across a lot of hotels now). & the breakfast was very overpriced so I didn't take it, was cheaper to go to nearby cafes and pay half the price for English/Vienna breakfast (also 5 Euros more than the same chain of hotel in Budapest!).

It was also not clear if I had received points towards my next stay, despite being a Mercure cardholder.

Overall very good value for the price paid but worth going out to eat at the moment!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the superior or privilege rooms, more space and better facilities.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
MercureJosefshof, Manager at Mercure Josefshof Wien am Rathaus, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear Ted,

thank you for your comments. It is fine to read that you had a pleasant stay in Vienna.
For your Le Club Points, please send me an Email with the LeClub cardnumber. Than we can check if everthing is booked on.

Hope to welcome you again in the Mercure Josefshof Wien.

best Regards from a sunny Vienna

Elisabeth Neubauer

Reviewed 15 August 2014

The location is super good, very close to museum quarter and other important places, the hotel is located in a quiet street which ensures there is no noise in night. I got a mercure privilege room and the staff helped me to locate my room.
The folks in the reception were very friendly and helpful.

The only glitch: I am still waiting for the amount to be unblocked on my card, which i will have to write an email to them now :(

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
MercureJosefshof, Manager at Mercure Josefshof Wien am Rathaus, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Dear Amit,

thank you for your comments on tripadvisor.

Please send us an Email to Office@ josefshof.com to check what is happend with your blocked amount.

Best Regards from Vienna

Elisabeth Neubauer

Reviewed 10 August 2014

The hotel is on a lovely quiet street facing some warehouse though. Reception is small and overly busy. There's another entry which is deceiving bc no ones there. There was no help with luggage . Wait at the check in desk was excessive but staff was polite. The inside looks pretty nice and well maintained but not 4 star. I'll say this is solid 3 to 3.5. The room is small but comfy and well kept. Bathroom is small but well stocked. Place seems clean. The lighting is very good and good storage. The restaurant was closed when I passed it at 5pm and I don't see room service menu. There are drinks and wine service. I might stay here again as the rooms are pretty good and location is quiet.

Room Tip: High floor, new building
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
MercureJosefshof, Manager at Mercure Josefshof Wien am Rathaus, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear guest,

thank you very much for your review on tripadvisor.com.

It was nice to read that you liked the room and the location.

Usually we do not provide luggage service, but on request it is always possible during the day.
Unfortunately you arrived during a short term period with many guests arriving - a few minutes later it was more quiet again.

We would be very pleased if you would stay with us again and wish you all the best.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The location is almost ideal for getting round on the first-class Viennese transport system, with trams, buses and Underground less than 50 yards away. Close-by are a lot of good restaurants, bars and places to visit.

However, the room that we had was a garret with no view at all. It was to be fair a good size, with a good bathroom and very well serviced. The air conditioning was totally inadequate and we had to run the fan at full power (noisy) to get to a liveable temperature for sleeping. If we had known, we would have paid extra for a “Privilige room”

Room Tip: Get a privilige room and make sure A/C works.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jackb39

Dear user jackb39,

thank you very much for your comments on your stay at our hotel in August .

We are very happy that you liked our great location, but feel sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your room.

During this time of the year with quite high outside temperatures it is sometimes a challenge to cool the rooms to about 21 degrees celsius as very often guests leave the windows open.
In this case we can only cool the rooms adequately by using the maximum power of the AC.

We do hope that you give us the chance to convince you of the quality of our services by booking again our hotel.

In the meantime we remain with best regards from Vienna.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

The room (524) was great in the way that it had electric shutters on the windows. It made it really dark at night - something that is a necessity for me to sleep.

The furnishings were a little tired and dated. The location was excellent - it was right by all of the museums and about a 7 minute walk to the centre of the city.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo

Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback on your recent stay.

We are currently renovating our furniture, but even though we recommend our top modern designed privilege rooms including the free use of an espresso machine and a bottle of mineral water free of charge everyday.if you should return to our hotel someday.

We wish you all the best and send best regards from Vienna

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hotel Josefshof is centrally located in a quiet street close to the underground and a tram that takes you past the Rathaus, Parliament, the Hofburg, and the Opera. The hotel is within walking distance to the Stephansdom right in the heart of Vienna. The breakfast is magnificent and the staff attentive and friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Randi V
MercureJosefshof, Manager at Mercure Josefshof Wien am Rathaus, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear guest,

thank you very much for your great feedback on your stay at the Mercure Josefshof.

It was a pleasure to read that you liked our location and our services so much.

Hopefully we may welcome you once again if your travel plans guide you back to Vienna.

Best regards and wishes