“Student accommodation used as a hotel during the summer”
Review of Academia

Academia
Ranked #314 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
London, United Kingdom
“Student accommodation used as a hotel during the summer”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

I was told that this hotel is student accommodation used as a hotel during the holidays, so I went with that sort of expectation. I had booked a triple and a double room, but then I emailed them to ask for two single beds in the double room (I booked through travel republic and a double was a fair bit cheaper than a twin), and they replied and said that that would be fine. When we arrived I was informed that that request would not be possible, but they offered us two single rooms instead of the double with no price change, which I felt was a very considerate gesture. I shared the triple room and I can't really complain at all, it was clean, the beds were quite comfortable and we had a room with a toilet and a bath/shower and sink separate to the toilet. There was enough room for the 3 of us and our stay was comfortable. Breakfast was 6 Euros per person, and when we went to reception on our first morning to pay for it we were told to pay in the breakfast room. There was no one there in the breakfast room for us to pay - on all 3 mornings. Therefore all 5 of us had breakfast for free and I'm glad of the fact because what was on offer was not worth 6 Euros at all. There was bland cereal, bread with either honey or hazelnut spread, hard boiled eggs, some continental breakfast stuff (ham, cheese, yoghurts etc.) and hot drinks. The juices were more like squash than juice (I was told, I didn't have any). There was free wifi in the lobby only, but there were plenty of sofas there so we could sit and use our iphones. On our last day we left Vienna on a night train to Florence, and there was space for us to leave our luggage for the day, which was great for us because it meant that we could do more sightseeing on our last day without being burdened with our luggage. Vienna is a very nice city and I would definitely recommend a visit. The Academia Hotel is not very central, it's about a 10 minute walk from the Rathaus but if you're looking for somewhere reasonably priced and are willing to walk a bit and use public transport then it's fine. There is also a nice pub down the road (called Strozzi Cafe), if you walk south east for the hotel it's the first corner on your left on the next block. It does good food and beer and we used it more than once, and I would definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: Only have breakfast there if you can get away with not paying
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank davidphillips2803

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Canada
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed in the Hotel Academia for 5 nights. I was extremely disappointed to see how small a 2 single bedroom was, as my friend and I were very cramped in the room. I walked into my room and there were insects on the wall, however the beds and bathroom seemed very clean besides this one incident. The breakfasts, I felt were dreadful. They had hardly any selection and I often only ate bread. I would recommend going to one of the many cafes near by. The hotel does have a good location, and is in walking distance of many popular sites. Another bother was that there was 1 key to the room, and you had to return to the front desk every time you left the hotel (although I rarely did this.)
I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for a cheap stay, but getting your own breakfast is advised.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Kelly425
eastham
Reviewed 23 October 2011

We ovecame our fear of the reviews and stayed for 10 nights. We payed £440 including flights from the UK for a hotel that is 4 tram stops from the centre. The room service was every 3 days, but no problem getting towels though you will need shower gel. At reception seek out Stephanie - really helpful. Breakfast is basic and there is enough of it but beware - the hotel operates a shoot to kill policy for anyone found lunch packing! The double bed was fine and comfortable. Would definately recomend it as you need a lot of time to see Vienna and you can do that at these prices.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rexel087
Olympia, Washington
Reviewed 14 October 2011

My wife and I spent a week in this hotel starting on Aug 27 2011.
It is well located; close to the tram that takes you into the old town in a few minutes.
It is a large hotel with many floors and has several elevators which is wonderful.
The front desk persons were exceptionally friendly and helpful.
Internet access computer available.
The breakfast was very good in a large and very nice dining room.
Our room and private bath were very clean and the beds were comfortable.
The room was small with 2 single beds.
Ventilation was a challenge since the weather was hot and no ac. The windows (typ for many buildings I noticed later) opens only at the top on a pivot hinge at the bottom. We had to crack the corridor door to get some through ventilation.
We learned here and at later hotels that the no ac means open windows and noise from outside during the night. One night a busload of young people from Prague were partying late into the night on a floor below; the other nights were ok.
The room faced west so soaked up a lot of heat all day.
Aside from the heat it was a good experience.

Room Tip: Avoid a west facing room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank curtis c
UK
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Was in Vienna for a conference, stayed for a week. The hotel is 5-10 minutes walk from Volkstheater and Rathaus U-Bahn stations, easily found. Service was very prompt and good. Rooms were clean and basic, with a hot shower. Breakfast was perfectly adequate - cereal, bread, ham & cheese, yoghurt, spreads, hot and cold drinks, (though no real juice, which was disappointing...). No luxury experience, but all in all, great value for money!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

2 Thank doratai1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2010

We had been to Austria last year for 4 days to see around the places there. We booked Hotel ‎‎Academia as it was very cheap. And by the fact we did not have many expectations from the hotel. ‎‎But the hotel lived up to our expectations.‎
The hotel was located quite far from the city centre but there was a tram stop (7 minutes walk) ‎from ‎the hotel. This tram ran into the city centre. Also there were buses which connected into the ‎city so ‎commuting was not a problem at all.‎
Travellers must understand that this is a hostel converted into a hotel during off peak season. So ‎the ‎rooms were quite small and bathrooms were small even. Rooms were hot; they did not have air ‎conditioning or fan. TV was not available from ‎rooms but there was one in the reception. But since it ‎is only 4 days we could live with it. But no ‎one could expect more for the money that these people ‎charge. I would say it was handsome for ‎the money we paid.‎
Breakfast did not have much of bread options. it was hard bread. But they had cereals and milk. ‎‎There was a lot of meat. They provide you with packed breakfast if you have to leave early for a ‎day ‎tour or any other arranged tours. ‎
Staff were helpful in giving directions, local knowledge and arranging conducted tours. Also most of ‎‎the tours voluntarily pick you up from the hotel so touring is not at all difficult if you choose to stay ‎‎here.‎
Overall there are some pros and cons of this hotel but as I stated earlier it is a good bargain.‎

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tssurya
Reviewed 27 September 2010

If you are expecting to stay in a conventional hotel you will be disappointed. The building is a student hall of residence that is used as a hotel during the holidays. If want accommodation to take you back on a nostalgic trip back to your university days this is the place for you!

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank SlowDuck

Travellers are raving about these Vienna hotels