“Fair Value for Price, but I Wouldn't Return”
Review of Pension Nossek

Pension Nossek
Ranked #169 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
New York City, New York
“Fair Value for Price, but I Wouldn't Return”
Reviewed 4 December 2011

I stayed in a single room at PN for four nights at the end of November. The room was adequately sized, and spotlessly clean and neat. The shower and toilet were in a raised, enclosed area in a corner. The mattress was fairly comfortable, but Austrian pillows are much too soft for my taste. I just make do by scrunching up some towels into a firm roll.

The location on the Graben can't be beat, and the staff was friendly and helpful. The flat-screen TV had a variety of German-language channels, plus the BBC and CNN. Other channels faded in and out, but I didn't ask for anyone to fix it. There was a combination alarm clock/radio installed above the headboard; I heard static on the radio and left it alone after that, as I use the alarm on my iPhone.

PN was just about exactly what I expected: You get fair value for price, and that doesn't include any charm or amenities. The furnishings are dowdy, and negotiating the step to the shower/WC is awkward, especially when you're dripping wet. I was always afraid of falling, even with the bath mats. The shower is tiny, and water always leaked on the floor.

Others have described the basic breakfast, which is served in the breakfast room from 7am-10am, or in your room from 9:30-10:00am. The room was packed when I went in the next day at 9:15am, so I left and went to Aida, and just skipped the whole thing after that. You should plan to arrive early if you want a place to sit. Frankly, I don't want to have to get up at 7am or wait until 9:30am. Because I was leaving very early on the last morning, they brought a kettle with teabags and sugar to my room the night before, which I appreciated.

All hotels have signs, but I really don't want to look at one that says "No hair-coloring in the sink." I completely agree, but . . . I'm going back to the Kaiserin Elisabeth next time. I stayed there in 2010 and the higher price was completely worth it. I enjoyed my stay so much more. I'm usually in the hotel most of the evening, as I get exhausted by 7pm or so, so I want to enjoy my surroundings (and not worry about falling from the shower!)

It was pretty quiet (my room overlooked the courtyard), except that you could hear the keys turning in the locks of the two rooms nearby. One night around 11:00pm, I heard the TV in the adjacent room as clearly as a bell; fortunately, the occupant turned it off after 5-10 minutes.

I wonder, too, about how much help you could expect in an emergency with just a porter on the premises overnight.

PN is a good accommodation in the budget category, but I'll go back to the Kaiserin Elisabeth for a higher level of charm, comfort, and safety -- and plenty of room at breakfast!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank penguin65

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Very well located in the heart of Vienna. Charming, oldfashioned rooms. Unfortunately we were disturbed during our three nights of a sound in one of the walls. Sounded like a drill. The hotel were not able to locate and put a stop to the sound. Breakfast on the frugal side, but ok Had to pay extra for an egg and for more tea. There may be a security problem as rooms are located over several floors, and there is nobody in the reception during night and the reception is
locked. Furhermore there was no telephon numbers to call in the room in case of need for assitance.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jorsalfar
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 28 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at Pension Nossek for 3 nights, and had a great experience. It is centrally located on the Graben, which makes it easy for sightseeing by foot or by metro/tram. There are plenty of great restaurants, shops and nighttime activities within walking distance. Our room faced the Graben, which meant there was some street noise, but it also made for some great people-watching from the balcony!

The rooms are well-appointed - not the newest furnishings but nice. We opted for the attached bath, and it was clean and adequately sized. Breakfast is included except for coffee, which is extra. The breakfast was okay - I felt like there was not a whole lot of variety day-to-day, so you sort of got tired of granola with yogurt/cold meat & cheese. But other than that, it was an excellent stay.

As has been noted in other reviews, this place is cash only. Think about how you are going to do this prior to arrival if you need to convert - the cheapest dollar to euro conversion is usually via ATM, but you can run into limits on your daily withdrawl amount. Be sure to let your bank know you are travelling and raise your limit before departing.

Room Tip: Bring euros - this place is cash only!
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank J_from_NY
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 July 2011

This is a good place, with a decent breakfast and a nice room. Centrally located - what more could you want?

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Monterrey, Mexico
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We stayed in this pension for 2 nights in may 2011. It has the best location you can look for. Right in the Graben , the heart of touristic Vienna. There is a sign that states that Mozart lived there for a year ( during our visit we found out that there are a lot of Mozart houses in Vienna , since he moved quite often!!) , nevertheless this gives you an idea where are you staying. The building and the pension is like taking a trip to 1930 , with an old lift , old furniture and enviroment , nevertheless we found the place cozy ,clean anddidn´t lack any basic service (the internet service was not included and didn´t worked very good). The staff were very nice and polite. The give us good tips on where to eat and how to get to all the places we asked for. Breakfast was included and was fine according European standards. Be aware the it is not cheap (120 eu/night) and you have to pay cash. Overall I would certainly recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank xaviergr
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2011

My son and I stayed here for two nights. Its right in the centre of town and reasonably priced. If you prefer a modern, sterile, impersonal hotel then this isn't for you. If you want to stay somewhere with a spiral staircase that Jason Bourne might run down at any moment and where the elevator has a manual door, you are in the right place. Staff and interior are charming. Just to top it all the mini-bar is reasonably priced and at just the right temperature! If you have a room facing the main pedestrian area than it CAN get a little noisy - not so much at night but at the weekend when the street juggler stacks metal dishes on his head and plays 'jingle bells' badly on a trumpet... the first couple of times its amusing....oh and the wi-fi is dodgy- but it should be because this place should be relief from the web, not a slave to it. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask nicely and bring cash
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank DINERMIGHT
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 11 January 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed at Pension Nossek over New Years for a trip that we had been planning since the previous summer. The owners/staff were very prompt and efficient in their email communication with us and we informed them numerous times via email when we would be arriving and that we were attending one of the New Years Balls. We were assured that our room would be available upon arrival and that we would be assisted with any and all last minute things we might need. Our room was not available upon arrival and although the staff did make the effort to find a salon where I could have my hair done, they did not put much effort into assisting us with finding transportation to the event or with other small requests we had throughout or 4 night stay. While waiting for our room, I asked permission to print our tickets for the evening as we were running behind schedule which I was able to do but had a charge for printing and internet use upon check-out; something I am normally happy to pay for but considering I was on the computer for less than 5 min. and our room was not ready it was something I thought they would comp. The rooms, although clean and comfortable, are tiny for the price and breakfast was very disappointing especially considering that things such as juice and hard-boiled eggs are only available at an extra charge. Internet is available in the rooms but not free. To reserve a room the owners require you to wire one nights stay but then charge you bank fees for the wire upon checkout. At checkout, they only accept cash. Although it is not uncommon for businesses in Europe not to accept credit cards, I would think that an establishment located in the heart of downtown Vienna would or, would at least accept a 2nd wire transfer without charging bank fees, which they would not. We stayed at quite a few Inns/B&Bs during this and previous trips to Europe and would not recommend this establishment for what it costs to stay there.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple