“An honest review from your most critical client”
Review of Flatschers

Flatschers
Ranked #451 of 4,390 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Neubau
Reviewed 19 January 2014

To start off with, I do not like this place and hope that my friends will never drag me there again, but I decided to be as fair as possible in my review, since is is professionally run restaurant that has many positive aspects.

Location and Interior:
The restaurant is located in the hip 7th district and is very close to public transport which is practical. The interior is nice and modern.

Arriving at the restaurant:
The place is usually packed, especially in the evenings. When you enter, there tend to be a lot of people standing around the bar and in the entrance area. Waiters are speeding past you and you have to catch them to get to your table. You have to be quite forceful with them if you don't want to end up waiting for ages.
The place seriously needs a hostess! This is not a big business expense and would really improve things.

The tables:
During the summer, there's a terrace outside, which is nice. The tables inside the restaurant are nice, too. The atmosphere is pleasant, not too loud, but you get the feeling that the place is lively.

The waiters:
They are very professional, well educated and nice. They see to it that you won't have to wait for your food and regularly come and check on you to see if you need anything. I got the feeling that all of them are very well trained.
Sometimes, though, they are simply too flirtatious. Having a nice and friendly waiter is great, having a waiter hit on you and you friends despite the fact that most of you are wearing wedding rings is not appropriate.
During one of my visits, I also had the feeling that the waiter was really trying to sell us cocktails on a constant basis. I didn't like being pressured in this way. If I want to order a non-alcoholic drink after two cocktails, I don't want to be given the feeling of being a killjoy for not wanting to get trashed. If and how much I drink is up to me, and if I choose to stay with non-alcoholic drinks (because I may be driving) then that should be perfectly ok, too.

The drinks:
The cocktails are very well made, in fact, they are perfect. They seems to use high quality liquors and the bartenders know how to mix them. They are served at the right temperature and are always perfectly balanced and they are very good value for money.

During one of my other visits, I had a beer. They have a very good selection of beers and the beer was served at the right temperature.

The wine list is ok but definitely needs improvement. Just reading the wine list causes confusion, since there does not seem to be any direction or concept behind it. Frankly, I get the feeling that these wines were selected at random.

First of all, the pricing policy is weird. If a glass of white wine costs me less than a small espresso, this tells me one of two things: Either the coffee is grossly overpriced, or you're serving me a hideous white wine.

I get the feeling that the wines were absolutely not selected in conjunction with the food. I realised this when I tried to pick the right red wine with my steak. The foreign wines they offer are generally too young by 1-2 years, and they are missing essential combinations. North- and South-American wines are underrepresented, which is a shame, since their texture goes extremely well with beef dishes.
On top of that, they do not have a single wine to match the surf and turf. Ok, this is not an easy task, but if you are one of the few restaurants in Vienna serving surf n turf, you might as well go all the way and offer a wine that complements it.
Don't get me wrong, the wine list is not completely off, there are a few good picks on it, but I personally feel that is needs some revision, especially if the restaurants wants to surprise its clients by serving a wine alongside the steaks that really impresses them taste-wise.

Another remark about the wine is the storage. When you walk down the stairs to go to the bathroom, you pass by a wine fridge. In that fridge, the wines are stacked on top of each other - hence there are multiple bottles squeezed into a shelf made for a single line of bottles. Why would you do that to wine?

The food:
I love steak and the steaks at Flatschers are ok, but not as good as in the US or France. Granted, Austrian food safety law does not allow for some of the practices applied to steaks in other countries (especially the beef ageing process), so I will let that one slide.
The steak salad is ok, and the Burgers are as well. The meat is definitely of high quality and they cook it well. They claim on the menu, that they only use sea salt. I believe that this is true, but the taste of sea salt was missing on the fries that came with my burger.

My overall verdict:
It's a professionally run restaurant, but some of the details are off. There are too many loose ends. I would go there again for cocktails, because those are very good, but there are better restaurants in terms of value for money in Vienna. Yes, it's a trendy place, but this is not something that interests me.

2  Thank LaraVienna

Reviewed 18 January 2014 via mobile

The food is fantastic. But because the restaurant has not clear seperation between smoking and no smoking area the whole resturant stinks of cigarettes and cigars.

Unfortunately only the resturants that cater for the americans have the no smoking policy and Austria doesn't enforce the european code on smoking in resturants.

Shame about Flatschers, as they have adopted an American concept. But have failed to embrace it fully.

Regardless of the fantastic food. Nobody likes to eat when the taste is lost in the heavy cigarettes taste.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

We was in Vienne and want to eat a good Steak! So i start to google and i found some...at the end we tryed the flatschers, i aso tryed two day to make a reservation, but was overbooked. So we desided just to go there and try oure luck! And we had luck. We order some beef tartar and some paprika soup, soup was nothing special, tartar was nice, but i mised some spices and olive oil on the table...after 2 ladies 1 gentleman and 1 flank, meet was very soft exectly made how we wanted and everything was total fast! Sidedishes was so so....the best for my tast was was the homemade pommes frittes, the dips was nothing special...we drink 2 bootles of Kohunga Hill Shiraz and at the end we wanted to order desert but it was to late because the kitchen close at 23h! We payed 170€ .

Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

My wife and I saw this place and decided to look it up on here. The reviews were good, so we decided to get a reservation, but was told all tables were booked. We decided to go anyways and try our luck. We went in there and the waiter said that all the tables are booked but we could sit at the bar while he could find a person who was leaving. Not even two minutes later he came up to us and told us that there was a table ready, but we had to leave the table at 8:30, but we could continue at the bar if needed. We took that table since it was only 6:50 and he assured us that the food would be prepared correctly and in a timely manner. Our waiter was very nice and explained the dishes and the different types of beers and also brought a sample of the one beer she wanted to try. I ordered the Flatscher Burger and it was awesome! The BBQ/Mayo sauce that was on there was great too! I was hesitant at first but I couldn't stop eating the burger without having some sauce on there. My wife got the Flascher burger too, but she wanted bacon and the secret sauce added too; they made it happen with no issues. Everything was great, the food was cooked just the way we wanted it. My wife got the creme brûlée but didn't realize that it came with cherries. She still enjoyed the creme brûlée and we left the waiter with a 5€ tip. We left around 8:10 and with a handshake as we left. We definitely will be going back there again!

Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

Decided to try Flatschers after reading trip advisor reviews and we were not disappointed. We hadn't booked and when we entered we were quickly shown to a table that was reserved but the waiter told us that it was fine as the reservation wasn't for a couple of hours so we had plenty of time.
The staff were most friendly and were quite taken at my attempts of having a conversation in German. The food arrived after a short period which was good considering how busy they were and it was extremely tasty. No hesitation in recommending Flatschers and would visit again.