“Decent hotel, made great by the balcony”
Review of Hotel Zipser

Ranked #137 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I spent two nights here while attending a conference in the nearby Rathaus (City Hall). The hotel is nothing fancy, just a decent, clean, middle of the road place. The room was comfortable, and very quiet (more of that later), and a decent size. The wi-fi was included free of charge and was fine for email but Skype calls were rather unreliable because the signal was a bit erratic. Breakfast was good, with a decent selection.

But the absolute high point for me was the balcony. I had a second floor room at the rear, overlooking a garden. The balcony was shared with the adjoining room, but I had no contact with the people in that room so this was not a problem. My room was slightly dark because it was overshadowed by large trees in the garden - this would have been disappointing if there had not been a balcony, but because there was it meant I could sit outside and enjoy the nature. I woke early one morning to the sound of pouring rain and spent a wonderful half an hour just sitting on one of the chairs on the balcony enjoying the view of the trees and the sound of the rain - absolutely fantastic!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back overlooking the garden with a balcony - especially on the upper floors
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
hotelzipser, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zipser, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Dear Sir,

thank you for your great review.We are glad that you felt at home with us, and we would be pleased to welcome you at zipser´s again.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Great location in central Vienna, walking distance to the ring and many tourist sites. Great staff, very helpful and accomodating. Beautiful hotel decorated to modern spec that still maintains tradtitional elements of Viennese buildings.

Room Tip: Executive rooms have air conditioning: a MUST for summer visitors!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 1world1chance
hotelzipser, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zipser, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Dear Sirs,

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed for a whole week in the Zipser hotel in a single room. I got upgraded from a standard to an executive room, which was nice of course. The rooms are clean and have all the basic necessities. The bed in my room was very good.
The hotel itself is quiet but also a bit dull. The breakfast is in the cellar with no windows. After a week I found this to be a depressing place. The breakfast I found to be so so. There is a great choice of products, but the kaiserbrotchen were chewy instead of crispy and the coffee was a bit too weak to my liking. I found the frontdesk staff to be always friendly and helpful.
Hotel Zipser is a safe choice, but not a top bargain.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AldeCoole
hotelzipser, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zipser, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Dear Sir,

thank you, that you have taken your time for your review. We would be glad to welcome you at zipser´s again and remain

Reviewed 2 June 2013

I expected this hotel to be much nicer than it was based on the pictures online when we booked. It was certainly acceptable, though tight quarters for 3 people. I am used to youth hostels and camping, so it was no big deal for me, but I can imagine others being a tad put off. I think they might have been going through renovations when we stayed and that we got one of the older rooms. The breakfast was a whole other story! WOW! Fresh croissants with butter and strawberry preserves, great coffee and fresh juices. Lots of options of meats and cheeses, too. I found the front desk staff really patient and friendly and they helped me hone some basic German phrases which helped when I split off from my group and explored solo. The location was good, tucked into the neighborhood, yet a nice, easy walk to the Metro and near a local tram line. Bottom line, if you are a well seasoned, flexible traveler, this will be fine for you. If you want luxury, go somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank PiperAndJon

Dear Sir,

Thank you that you have taken your time to assess our hotel. You are right, that the reservation which you made was one of the standard rooms ( not renovated ). Please try the next time one of our Deluxe rooms. They are facing the gardenside more spacious and renovated as well.

Thank you once again for your good review, and we hope to welcome you at zipser´s once again.

Reviewed 28 April 2013

The location of this hotel is very good with only about a 5 minute walk to a U-bahn station. There are also a number of restaurants in this quiet neighborhood as well as an upscale grocery store and a fantastic cupcake shop. The hotel room itself was very clean and perfectly adequate, although a little small and dated - although nothing was broken or in bad condition. As several reviewers have mentioned, it's definitely a noisy hotel. The hallways are not carpeted and the walls are thin, so you can hear everything. There is a grade school nearby so we woke up each morning to children's music, which was actually quite funny. My main issue with this hotel was one particular staff member who was very rude and I was actually quite shocked by his behavior. I took about 60 seconds of his time to ask about the tram schedule and he threw his hands up in the air when I asked an additional question. Needless to say I didn't ask for anymore of his assistance and just figured it out on my own. After my interaction with him, I would say that the bad outweigh the good and I would select another location in Vienna as they are plenty to choose from.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Trudi1109
hotelzipser, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Zipser, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Dear Mrs. Trudi,

Thank you, for taken your time for this review. We also thank you for your positive as well as your negative comments, because that tells us points that we definitely have to work on. The behavior of our employee was clearly inappropriate and for that we can only apologize. For the future, we will try with the help of staff training to avoid such issues. I hope you still had a good time in Vienna and were able to enjoy your stay. It would be nice to welcome you another time with us, also to be able to convince you of an improvement.

Sincerely yours
Hoterl Zipser

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Very nice hotel, not so far from center of Vienna. Everything is fine for the price, but you shouldn't expect anything out of the ordinary. Listen to the manager's recomandation for Italian restaurant nearby.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr. Ratko,

thank you for your review. We hope that you had some nice days with us, and I´m glad that the recommondation for the italien restaurant was succesful. We would be glad to welcome you at zipser´s again and remain

Reviewed 15 April 2013

The hotel is not in the centre but only takes approx 20 mins to reach the Hofburg, and 5-10 mins to nearest underground station. It is in a quiet location with numerous restaurants in the surrounding streets, and 2 supermarkets, so is ideal, but beware the supermarkets do not open Sundays. There is a nice Italian round the corner, plus a Sicilian, Il Sestanti which was also very nice, plus a traditional restaurant in the same street as the hotel on the other side of the road. It is easy to reach the Rathaus, then onto the Hofburg and centre of Vienna, and the underground gives you access to the rest of the sight.

Our room was a lot smaller than we thought it would be but it wasn't cramped, was very clean and had everything we needed (except tea and offer making facilities!) - fridge, safety deposit box, large tv, hair dryer. It was very, very hot in the room so we had to leave the bathroom window open all night, but it didn't present a problem as we were on the second floor plus the window was very narrow so couldn't be entered!!

The majority of staff were very pleasant and helpful, with the exception of one who although was helpful, was quite sullen! Breakfast was fine, with a reasonable choice, including scrambled eggs and bacon, the usual cheese, ham, variety of bread and buns, yogurts, cereals, jams, fresh fruit etc...

The corridors were a bit clinical and could be noisy at times, however, it would not put us off staying again. Hotels in vienna are not as cheap as other places so at 99 euro a night, the Zipser was probably goog value.

• Stayed: April 2013

Dear Sirs,

Thank you, for taken your time for this review.
We are always working to improve our hotel and your feedback helps us so much here. We would be pleased to welcome you at zipser´s again and remain