“I'd stay again!”

Ranked #90 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Shepherd, Michigan
“I'd stay again!”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed at Hotel Kugel at the recommendation of my brother who had stayed there a few years ago.

Great location. Near West Train Station, tram and subway. Nice area to do some serious shopping too!

I felt right at home. Desk is staffed 24 hours, Wonderful breakfast included.

BUT--be warned the tram stop is right across the street and while it was white noise to me some sleepers may be disturbed.

I paid for a single room and it was actually a double so I had plenty of room to spread out.

Room was comfy but not posh so if you require 'western' bells and whistles you may not enjoy the hotel.

Staff was very helpful with our questions.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
München
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I have been coming to Hotel Kugel for about 15 years and I have never been disappointed. In facts it seems to get better every year. Great location, great price, great service, great people.
Thank you - I will keep coming back of course!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Alabama
Reviewed 12 October 2013

I've reviewed the Kugel before, so I'll limit this review to a few items. First, the breakfast buffet has seen numerous improvements, now with eggs, bacon, sausage, more pastries and some locally sourced organic teas. The staff is as friendly and informative as ever - on this trip they steered me to an amazing museum exhibit of curious artworks and treasures collected by the Habsburg emperors and archdukes (Kunstkammer Wien). It's hard to describe, but worth every penny of the admission cost. One additional change for me was that I had a rental car and needed to park it somewhere. Since I didn't need the car while i was in Vienna, I parked at a huge garage at the Leopoldau subway stop on the edge of town for only 3 Euros per day, much cheaper than near the city center. The Kugel is an easy subway ride from there, with only one change at Stephansdom, and then a short walk from the Neubaugasse stop. Once again, an excellent stay at Hotel Kugel!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 October 2013

All people in the hotel are very friendly and helpful. The food is absolutely amazing (much better, then i thought). The hotel inside is very nice, it has it's own atmosphere. The room was very clean. The hotel is located near underground station, but it's takes roughtly 15-20 to walk to the centre.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Hotel Kugel was old and very worn. It really is in need of a facelift and a good cleaning. On one of our days here our room was not cleaned and when we told the front desk the young lady did not know how to respond. When we came back an hour later the bed had been made and clean towels left on the bed. No attempt at cleaning the bathroom was made. Not worth the money!

Room Tip: We were on the third floor and it was still noisy!
2 Thank JanSpruceHeadMaine
ABC2412, Inhaber at Hotel Kugel, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
First and for all, let me thank you for your staying with us and for
taking of your time in helping us with your opinions to improve
our sweet little hotel further and further.
There is of course no doubt about the age of this historic place –
when the construction started Lee and Grant had no idea they will
become opponents.
And yes, this particular historic atmosphere is preserved here,
setting it apart from the 21st century prefabricated competition.
However, unfortunately the maid had overseen your room on the
room list, and at the time of your report, only the girl in the reception
was present, so she hurried to fix it as fast as possible, but in the
available few minutes could not do a full service.
Thanks to your suggestions we hav now developed a different control
scheme, so this will not happen again.
Providence, RI
Reviewed 3 October 2013

My wife and I were at the Kugel for 3 nights in September and found it very clean and the staff generally accommodating. After staying at a wonderful, similarly-priced hotel in Vienna (K & K Opera), my wife found the breakfast selection disappointing (we're vegetarians), but it was fine for me. The location out of the center of the city, but easily accessible by tram. Unfortunately, we heard the tram at night. Otherwise the room was pleasant, but modest. No carpeting; no air conditioner; a small bathroom and REALLY small shower. We had the "romantic package" but never received the bottle of champagne, although I'm sure we would have if we'd asked for it. We were supposed to have a safe in our room, but didn't. When we asked the desk if we could put our passports, etc in their safe, they insisted we had one in our room, despite the fact that we didn't. We expected a safe to be put in for us after this, but it never was.

Room Tip: If they have any back room, and I'm not sure they do, these would probably be quieter.
Reviewed 27 September 2013

Great location, very comfortable room, nice breakfast but the staff was helpful far beyond the norm.
Got to the airport and realized I had left my shoulder bag with my passport in the dining room. Called the hotel and requested they send with a cab which they said they would do. Within 25 minutes a gentleman (believe the owner) delivered the bag and refused any compensation for the service. The kindness of this gentlemen was far beyond anything I have experienced in a vary long time and has my sincere thanks.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the street as the tram runs all night