“The worst hotel ever”
Review of Hotel Praterstern

Hotel Praterstern
Ranked #246 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I stayed 1 night at this hotel. It was the worst hotel I have ever stayed. Stinky rooms, dirty reception, no credit cards accepted. Because it was an emergency stay I needed some confirmation from the hotel afterwards. All my e-mails without any response. Never more.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank Tomas74

Reviewed 30 June 2013

The advantage of this hotel is, that is close to Prater and Vienna center. Hotel looks from outside nicely, but room was bad looking. Bathroom was unpractical and old looking, furniture is the cheapiest I have ever seen and ceiling had spots from the water. Doors from rooms are very thin, we had neighbor, who smoked marihuana and coughed all the night, so we could smell it and hear it.

Room Tip: choose room to the garden room to the street is noisy
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Marketa S
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Hotel Praterstern is a 1-star hotel extremely well situated near to the city center and next to two metro stations. The room was very spaceful with a quite large bathroom and an excellent bed. Airco was working well. The breakfast room is not perfect but if the weather permits you can have your breakfast in the charming courtyard. With a good GPS it is easy to find and there is a closed parking in the neighbourhood. With rates very cheap it has an excellent value for money rating. For us it is worth at least a 3-star rating. We definitely will go back if we ever return to Vienna.

Room Tip: Take a room on the 4th floor and try to have a room "fûr behinderte".
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jacques V
Reviewed 19 April 2013

Very close to station "Praterstern/Wien Nord" by (S1, S2, S3 or S5) from Wien Mitte .
We arrived at night and reached the station ,but after that it was bit confusing to find the hotel with out GPS , there is a big circle in front of the station and difficult to decide which "left" to take as per the hotel description , we tried to call the hotel but did not get much help .
Finally after arriving at the hotel , we felt good .Nice ,cozy hotel with 24 hour stuff , room was compact and clean , we took quadruple room .
But the room heater was not working properly , informed reception and been checked but again it stopped working at sometime in night , so it was very cold in morning .

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 January 2013

I traveled with my mother to Europe in the winter. We stayed at the hotel "Praterstern" New Year, for eight days. The hotel has a good location, walking distance to the city center 15 minutes, near two metro stations, three shops: Billa, Zielpunkt, Spar, 24-hour fitness center, park Prater. We arrived at the hotel in the morning and we were soon settled into the room. The room we did not like, for two people - tiny. At our request, the hotel administrator, changed the room. The second room was small but very comfortable. Excellent plumbing, lovely shower, mirrors. Good beds, my dream was strong and no one disturb us otherworldly noise. Breakfast 4 euro - i did not take. Refrigerator, a bar in the room, shampoo, shower gel - no; my - kettle, coffee, tea. Not like cleaning: bed linen is not changed and towels changed once, but when we threw them on the floor. Internet 3 euro per everyday. Administrators were polite and friendly, but they do not know the city, they dont know where the clock "Ankeruhr". I think it is better not to ask questions, and look at a map. :) Conclusion: a good 3* hotel without superfluous.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 December 2012

I have spent 3 wonderful days in this hotel a few years back. I had great memories, so I chose it again for our recent stay.
I am completely in love with the city but after this time I will never ever stay in this hotel again.
My main concern is the amount of cigarette smoke all over the lobby and the breakfast area (which is ridiculous for the price of 6 euros, plus extra if you need anything more then bread and butter...). As you enter and wait and wait and wait in the lobby for the receptionist to even say hi to you the smoke becomes more and more overwhelming.
Our room was small, but hey, we are not here to spend the whole day in there...
When we arrived and were ready for a good sleep after a long sightseeing day...man the whole bed was like a bed of cigarettes... wow... nasty... I have never experienced anything like this in any hotel I have stayed before... And the night receptionist was so rude... Gosh, that guy made the whole experience even worse... I would have been ok, but him being so cocky and condescending... Wow... Worst thing in the whole hotel, besides the smoke, and the loud ( and I mean LOUD!) neighbors...
Overall I would not recommend anybody staying here who is especially keen on a non-smoking environment... 100% disappointment awaits.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I stayed at this hotel in late November 2012. A local friend booked it on account of it's convenient location and price. I have traveled a great deal and am pretty easy-going. I requested a room with a private bathroom and when I arrived I found the smallest room I have ever stayed in (I could not fully open my large pull-man suitcase). In fact, I could not even wash my face using the bathroom sink because the shelf above the sink half-covered it! Still, the room seemed decent: acceptably clean (albeit not well dusted), remarkable closet space, the tiny single bed was narrow, but comfortable enough and there were no signs of bed bugs (which is something I always check).
When I returned to the room later in the evening, I hopped in the shower, hoping for a nice quick scrub before bed. Instead, I nearly burned the skin off my body. The water was extremely hot and no amount of fiddling with the tap would cool it at all. I ended up trying to cup water from the sink onto my body to remove the soap. It was brutal but I assumed that in my exhausted state, I was just not working it properly.

After a terrible sleep with many interruptions by way of hallway and neighbouring room noises, I awoke desperate for a shower. I hopped in and, while the water was hot, it was not as scorching as the night before. I turned it off to lather up and then rinse. As I rinsed, the water became more and more hot. It became so hot, I could not bear it and left the shower without even washing my hair. When I left my room, I informed the reception clerk of the problem with my shower and he assured me it would be addressed.

After a full day, I returned late in the evening and did not check the shower until the next morning. When I stepped in, expecting to finally get to wash my hair, I was shocked to find that the water was hotter than ever! I couldn't bare it for more than 5 seconds. Luckily, I was checking out that morning and my friend was meeting me at reception. I went to check out and explained to my friend and the reception clerk that the shower was unacceptably hot and that I had raised the issue with staff the day before. The current clerk was incredibly rude and offensive. He said that the water could not be so hot and then took the key from me and proceeded to the room to prove my inaccuracy. My friend accompanied him. He confirmed that the water was hot. He offered to take 8 euros a night of the price of my room but I was not happy with this at all. I paid to have a shower and the one provided was not functioning properly. He said I could have used the public shower on another floor, but this was never offered nor explained to me previously. And, again, if I wanted to use the public shower, then I would not have paid for a room with a private shower.

The shower issue was clearly a big beef for me, but it also didn't help that the walls were as thin as paper and I was awoken throughout the night (both nights) and therefore did not get decent sleep. It likely was not helpful that my room was located close to the stairway and the floors do not absorb sound at all. Thankfully the street noise was very minimal, but that was a small consolation overall.

I have to say, in over 20 years of regular travel and hotel stays, I have never had a worse experience and certainly the exceptionally rude and aggressive behaviour of the reception clerk during my check out was not something I would ever want to experience again. As someone who adores Vienna (and Austria), I couldn't help but think how such an experience would have left a very negative impression of the city had I been a first-time visitor.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor and as far away from the echo-filled stairwell as possible.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo