“All you could ask for”

Hotel Mailbergerhof
Ranked #170 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel was located in a quiet side street very close to restaurants, cafes, shops, museums and art galleries. The staff were very helpful and the hotel was well presented. Modernisation work was taking place on two of the four floors, but this was very well organised and did not affect our stay at all.

The breakfast room included an outdoor area which was very pleasant; there was a sub buffet.

There was also a lounge area where there was complimentary tea, coffee and fruit available at all times

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Location was perfect, we were also upgraded to a suite BUT....
Airconditioning wasn't working, and we would be been understanding if they had confessed straight away that they were still carrying out reservations (end of May), but for two days they gave us random excuses with promises of 'OK tomorrow' and eventually gave us a dinosaur mobile AC which necessitated leaving the window open. Rooms weren't cleaned until 4pm. Buffet breakfast also disspointing - only hot food was very dry scrambled egg. Free Nespresso coffee in reception lounge was a nice touch, and we 'accidentally' found out that hotel guests can visit House of Music(which was wonderful)l for free.

Room Tip: We chose courtyard room to avoid street noise, but if you have windows open, kitchen staff noisy fro...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HardtopleaseSpain
Reviewed 8 June 2014

I stayed in the hotel for a week because I was attending a course. The location is superb and the staff are very nice and very helpful. they even supplied me with iron and board when I asked. They offer an abundant breakfast with very attentive staff. The internet works nicely and they have free tea and coffee till the evening. Unfortunately all these nice qualities were offset by the state of the hotel and the house keeping service. The place is not clean and very dusty. I had to clean the shelves my self and line them up with napkins to lay my clothes. I did not have soap for 2 days and the first night when I requested, I was told they do not have any by the embarrassed receptionist! Second day I had to ask again when I returned for soap and toiletries. At the first day, I was given a suite which was in dreadful state and one had to take a side staircase which was rather not very safe with luggage. I was then changed for a room upon request. The furniture is very worn out and there are pieces of furniture like a green metal waste pin that have no place indoors let alone a hotel. I paid all in advance otherwise I would have changed the hotel. The place was really not cleaned and the renovation project is no excuse. I was tiptoeing the whole time and I was not sure even if the beddings were clean. I tried my best to keep my time in the hotel as less as possible. I will definitely not stay there again.

Room Tip: do not stay in the hotel
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank OSHY1
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We had a large double room and stayed for a week. It is old fashioned, quite comfortable for us. The staff is very thoughtful, and the breakfast interesting and abundant. The location is ideal for those interested in the museums, music, libraries and other famous Viennese institutions. Vienna is a wonderful city, even though it seems underpopulated for its space compared to other European capitals. We would happily return to the Mailberger Hof.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Gothicist
Reviewed 15 May 2014

A very renowned and established hotel specialised on catering to artists performing at the nearby Opera. Quite unobtrusive due to its side street entrance. Checked in on the fly in the evening without prior booking and were assigned a nice old-fashioned suite at no extra charge.
Downside: the night porter was downright rude and unhelpful, trying to command us around ("shute that door!"), only helping us with the luggage upon specific request - minus one point for that as it was quite outrageous!
Rooms were large yet cosy.
Breakfast is to die for: so copious and extensive (house champagen included) it's probably the best I've ever had in a hotel just about anywhere to date.
In the morning, reception staff had changed: very friendly and helpful this time.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank pleromax
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Just in the inner city pedestrian precinct on a quiet side street with main pedestrian mall just 100 metres away, but car access on close street means bags only need to be carried about 40 metres.
Host and staff very friendly and helpful and coffee/tea and biscuits always available in the lounge which is very nice. Old world charm, very comfortable and large room.
After a long day travelling we had take away (take out) in our room and hosts happy to provide us with plates etc.
Breakfast buffet included for us and it is good, enough to keep you going.
More expensive than we'd usually pay but with breakfast and location we found is very worth while.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brushie1
Reviewed 30 April 2014

This is a hotel of the old European style. Even the room keys are heavy old type real keys, not cards. Its location is superb, so close to the main pedestrian district of the city center, two minutes walk to the Opera, but still protected from the crowds as it is located on a side street. The breakfast is copious and high standard. I liked the fact that they trusted us at reception during check-in and did not ask for a credit card security pre-authorization

On the down side, with old style also come some wear and tear. The furniture, carpets, etc have all seen better days and need some face-lifting. The only elevator is so small that two people barely squeeze in. Also beware that check-in time is 15:00, later than usual. When we arrived at 2:00 PM our room was not ready yet and we had to wait for 20 minutes before moving in. However, this was our second stay, and they upgraded us to a full apartment without any extra cost...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple