Hotel Urania
Hilton Vienna(Vienna)
US$185
US$171
  • Room Service
All reviewscity centrewien mittetram stopdouble roomfranciapratercatcheesestationmeatsreceptionist
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Saying this place was "quirky" feels like an understatement to me. Perhaps if we'd been given a different room, I might feel a bit different, but I give this place three stars for the lackluster reception, lukewarm staff, the lack of any sort of climate control (the room was hot in May and they didn't even have a plug-in fan or something at the desk which would have made it at least comfortable), the lack of wifi, the "double" bed (meaning, two twins smushed together), and the creepy as heck ceiling fresco. Oh, and it's not close to any metro/subway stations. After a loooong day of sightseeing and such, the last thing I wanted to do was walk half a mile back to the hotel!

On the bright side, the hotel has lifts so you're not forced to lug luggage up the 8 or more floors. The breakfast was well-provided and included in the room fee. The room was large by any standards with high ceilings and a modern shower, and the place was generally comfortable and very quiet.

My experience was heavily tainted by the fact that I got no restful sleep here and that could have been avoided if there were a ceiling fan or plug-in one available. The ceiling fresco/painting of naked people floating around and staring down made no sense and just got creepier each night.

On a side note: Don't miss Schonbrunn Palace, and the High School Performance at the Spanish Riding School was very unique and memorable. Catching a concert at Karlsplatz (Mozart's Requiem) was the absolute highlight - best money spent, experience of a lifetime, and the acoustics there are hair-raisingly enchanting.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2012

This hotel was the final stop on our cycle trip down the Danube.

The hotel was quirky, brightly decorated with loads of hanging baskets. The hotel was in a good location and we could get to the underground and the trams very easily. The room was large with high ceilings a small modern shower room and was comfortably furnished (our room had a leather three piece suite).

The staff were helpful and they stored our bikes for collection by the bike hire company. The breakfast was substantial.

Overall a nice hotel for a city visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Exiled_Cumbrian
Reviewed 10 August 2012

I have been a regular guest of this hotel over the last ten years and, while it is apparently a 2 or 3 star hotel, the rooms are all individually decorated on different themes and the quality of the hotel itself is much higher.

It is family run and, since I have been there so often I have become friends with the family: a mere phonecall is sufficient to ensure a room is available for me.

Breakfast is on a buffet basis with good coffee and a nice cold selection of good quality food.

It is located within a ten-minute walk of Stephansdom, but if you know Vienna at all, you can also walk comfortably to Unteres Belvedere, the two main museum and all the attractions in the centre, including the Opera.

I will continue to visit this lovely hotel every time I visit Vienna and I heartily recommend it to anyone interested in seeing one of the most European capitals.

Room Tip: I always stay in the Baroque Room
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Prince_de_la_Pau
Reviewed 12 January 2012

Arriving at Wien Mitte station is easy from the airport; take a no. 0 tram towards the Prater for a two or three-stop ride and there you are: brightly coloured and so well located just outside the Ringstrasse. Arriving at the Urania is like starting a new adventure in Viennese old-world style, from the caged birds tweeting merrily to the individually themed rooms: ours was so relaxing we bought some wine and two glasses from reception one evening and stayed in our room for the rest of the night! The breakfasts, in true Viennese fashion, are marvellous, full and varied, though I could have done with a good single espresso (ein kleine schwarzer). The staff are wonderful, friendly and helpful. Leaving the hotel on Tuesday 11 January 2012 was like leaving home, the piano being played, the birds chirruping and the statuette at the bottom of the little grand staircase holding his light aloft for us to see our way down the stairs to the street. It's Vienna's best-kept secret hotel, close to the Hundertwasserhaus, the Kunsthaus - both essential to view and visit - and, having visited Wien before, the Hotels within the Ringstrasse can be noisy with horse-drawn carriages and tourists walking by when you need a siesta; the Urania is quiet, off the usual tracks and brilliantly positioned for visiting the beautiful city. Our bed was firm and extremely comfortable, the bedlinen spotless. By the way, I do recommend the Vienna Card for 72-hours of travel and discounted entry to the museums, galleries and sites, of which the Urania ought to be on the list as Vienna's best quaint hotel with loads of character and whimsical charm.

Room Tip: I would like to stay in a different room every time as each has its own theme; ours was great with black leather sofa and glass-topped table with naked woman sculpture 'supporting' the glass from beneath (Zimmer 11).
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Peter H
Reviewed 23 November 2011

The hotel is in quite a good location, especially if you arrive to Praterstern station (approx. 10 minutes walk). Rooms offered at a basic level are small, with elemental equipment (e.g. the shower corner has no curtain.

It was impossible to turn the heating down so it was really hot there unless I opened windows. The room seemed not to be properly cleaned up (if it was cleaned at all). But since being very tired I didn't complain and went to sleep:)

The breakfast was excellent and improve my overall impression a lot. But I wouldn't want to spend there more nights.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business