“Interesting theme rooms”
Review of Hotel Urania

Hotel Urania
Ranked #38 of 116 Vienna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 November 2013

The hotel location is ok for both business and vacation. The theme rooms are interesting - mine had a zebra on the wall - and the room facilities are basic, but acceptable. Service was friendly. I didn't have the breakfast, so no opinion on that.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Jørgen Bo N

Reviewed 2 October 2013

I am afraid a 2 star is all I would rate this accommodation. We were greeted by an untidy fellow who appeared to be hostile but he was ok ,just not smiling . The rooms were themed but not sure what our room was themed on. It had very old furniture .A very old picture of an old lady on the wall which resembled some ones mother from a well known Hitchcock film about a motel so we named the room themed after the name of the film . The mattress on the beds were lower than the frame so it was uncomfortable getting in and out. The bathroom was new and an excellent shower but needs a shower curtain as the water went everywhere.
The breakfast was superb and a very pleasant lady who was very clean and tidy ensured we had what we needed. We were on the forth floor and i went to the reception for a bottle of water during the evening, I had to go back up the stairs as the guy insisted on cash and not on the room bill.
When we asked to pay the bill I was asked to pay cash. This is very outdated and not very customer friendly to be asked to be paid by cash.
I would not use this hotel again but Vienna is very expensive so the price we paid was fine .

Room Tip: we were in room 30 so try to avoid this room and try one of the other themed rooms if you are going.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 August 2013

I think I would have given it four stars if I'd stayed in in cooler weather, but it was too hot to sleep with the windows closed and too noisy with them open. With the high ceilings, a ceiling fan would be a good investment. But I enjoyed my stay here, the location is good with supermarkets and eating places within a few yards and it's a nice 10 minute walk to the city centre. The room was large and clean but felt rather empty, and there was no kettle. The bed was very comfortable. A small bar fridge would have been great just to keep some cold water or juice in. Good wifi in room. Lots of flowers in planters, I had lovely window boxes of geraniums, and the building itself is nice and historical. Breakfast was fine, lots of cheeses and cold meat, nice fresh breads, fruit and good coffee, convenient serving hours. Reception were really friendly and welcoming, made me feel at home, and were very helpful getting me a taxi when I was leaving. Other staff somewhat brusquer but not unprofessional. I would definitely come back here, but only in cool weather!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 July 2013

The hotel itself is average, and a little quirky. The rooms are large enough and clean enough, basic facilities but I didn't see any tea and coffee making facilities. The location OK. Continental breakfast is pretty well stocked and decent. The biggest issue is the staff. Some are nice and helpful but one in particular was pretty dimissive bordering on being rude and arrogant - from the other reviews I'm guessing this guy was the owner/manager.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank MrElmo
Reviewed 7 December 2012

I had a very nice stay in this family owned hotel near the city centre of Vienna. My room (2p), Egyptian style decorated, was very spacious with a large kingsize bed, a couch and two relax chairs. The tv was small, I did not use it. This is a two star hotel, so don't expect anything fancy. The pro is that it's possible to control temperature individually. Mostly hotel rooms are very warm but by just tunring of the heating, the temperature dropped. My room was situated above the entrance but the street is very quiet so I had no traffic noise or whatsoever. Wifi is available in the rooms (for free).

The bathroom had a large shower and soap and shampoo was provided. The towels looked a bit ragged but I've also seen that in many 4 and 5 star hotels. Bathroom was rather clean, although I did find a dried contact lens on the floor.

Staff is really friendly, both at the reception and in the breakfast room. Breakfast was good with many choices. Cheese and meat was cut on the spot. For in room lunch I just went to the supermarket around the corner for some fresh salads and wraps.

Overall, I had a very pleasant stay and it did not feel like a two star hotel at all. I can recommend this hotel to everybody who would like to stay in a unique and friendly hotel, for a city trip or business.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2012

Saying this place was "quirky" feels like an understatement to me. Perhaps if we'd been given a different room, I might feel a bit different, but I give this place three stars for the lackluster reception, lukewarm staff, the lack of any sort of climate control (the room was hot in May and they didn't even have a plug-in fan or something at the desk which would have made it at least comfortable), the lack of wifi, the "double" bed (meaning, two twins smushed together), and the creepy as heck ceiling fresco. Oh, and it's not close to any metro/subway stations. After a loooong day of sightseeing and such, the last thing I wanted to do was walk half a mile back to the hotel!

On the bright side, the hotel has lifts so you're not forced to lug luggage up the 8 or more floors. The breakfast was well-provided and included in the room fee. The room was large by any standards with high ceilings and a modern shower, and the place was generally comfortable and very quiet.

My experience was heavily tainted by the fact that I got no restful sleep here and that could have been avoided if there were a ceiling fan or plug-in one available. The ceiling fresco/painting of naked people floating around and staring down made no sense and just got creepier each night.

On a side note: Don't miss Schonbrunn Palace, and the High School Performance at the Spanish Riding School was very unique and memorable. Catching a concert at Karlsplatz (Mozart's Requiem) was the absolute highlight - best money spent, experience of a lifetime, and the acoustics there are hair-raisingly enchanting.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2012

This hotel was the final stop on our cycle trip down the Danube.

The hotel was quirky, brightly decorated with loads of hanging baskets. The hotel was in a good location and we could get to the underground and the trams very easily. The room was large with high ceilings a small modern shower room and was comfortably furnished (our room had a leather three piece suite).

The staff were helpful and they stored our bikes for collection by the bike hire company. The breakfast was substantial.

Overall a nice hotel for a city visit.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple