Rathausplatz
and up
Full Day Private Trip to Vienna with Personal Guide from Prague
Ranked #18 of 608 things to do in Vienna
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

A beautiful place to take photos at, especially at night. Some times they have like festivals around it. Overall view is impressive.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,838)

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Rathaus Park (Rathausplatz) is one of several large public spaces found off of the Ringstrasse, in front of the Rathaus building and opposite the Burgtheatre.

Opened to the public in 1873, this is where you can see a the city hall (Rathaus), an impressive, Gothic-style building that is one of the most beautiful in the entire city. Today, Rathausplatz is also the location of regular festivities held throughout the year.

We best enjoy visiting Rathausplatz at night, allowing outstanding views of the Rathaus building when it is illuminated with floodlights. There is a popular Christmas market held here during the holiday season. Also, an ice rink and skating trail are constructed and occupying much of the entire park during the winter time. This provides some fun leisurely activity for locals and visitors.

Unlike other parks and squares, which are less ideal to visit during the winter months, we actually prefer Rathausplatz during the cooler times of year, finding it quite a festive place to spend time in Vienna.

1  Thank BradJill
Reviewed 27 March 2014

I was there with my boyfriend a few days before Christmas. There is a Christmas market every year so you can buy a lot of nice souvenirs. I really enjoyed it despite the crowd because it really made a special feeling of Christmas. I believe it is nice in the summer as well, because the view of the Rathaus is just fantastic, eye candy.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Best time to visit is in the evening when the Christmas atmosphere at its best. We walked down the main street from the Opera House and found it nestled in amongst the modern shopping, a great surprise. My young niece thought she was in a Disney movie. Did not try and go in so cant comment on that.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

My daughter and I enjoyed it immensely around Christmas. We really loved that almost fairytale feel as we wondered around drinking hot punch, while those huge Christmas trees were ornamented with beautiful big shiny decorations. My daughter bought a beautiful shiny white owl for our Christmas tree. Had a great time!!!