“A 4,000 Mile Disappointment!”
Review of Hotel Topazz

Hotel Topazz
Ranked #61 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Little Falls, New Jersey
“A 4,000 Mile Disappointment!”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

*Spoiler Alert: I did not get to spend the night at Topazz, if you'd like to know why - keep reading!*

I found that I would be traveling to Vienna for business in early July and immediatley took to the TripAdvisor forums to find a hotel to spend extra time in for a unique experience while in town. Thanks to some very helpful members, I came across the Topazz Hotel. It had everything I was imaginging -- central location, botique accomindation, sleek and stylish decor and the best of all THE WINDOW SEAT!

Upon my early arrival on July 13, I was told that my room wasn't quite ready and it was suggested that I go for a walk around the surrounding area. No problem - there was plenty to see so I would set off on an adventure. When arriving back a few hours later, a different attendant was at the desk and she said she had some bad news. She said that the air conditioning in the hotel was broken and the hotel would be giving me an upgrade to a better room that was most comfortable at the time.

Ok. I like upgrades.

I was led upstairs to the 8th (top) floor. Now maybe its me, but if the air conditioning is broken, and heat rises, I would not bring guests to the top floor. Anyway, I took the ride to the stifling hot room. (Really, you couldn't even breathe in it). The bellhop was not surprised when I said that this was unacceptable. He called down to the main desk and was given instruction of two other rooms to show me, one on the 6th floor and one on the 3rd floor. Both were equally as uncomfortable (between 27 and 31 degrees c or 80 to 87 degrees f!!!) and one did not have the signature window seat. (Important to note -- rooms with window seats do not have windows that open, so getting some fresh air was not even an option!)

At this point I was ready to cry -- I had travelled for over 4000 miles, 15 hours and just wanted to freshen up and rest! The hotel suggested that I stay at their sister propery, Lamee, which was across the street.

The staff was young, spoke back and forth to eachother in German, exchanging looks and making me feel very uncomfortable. I really had no choice at this point, so off to the Lamee it was!

If you're interested to know how the rest of my stay was, please see my review from the Lamee hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure that the air conditioning is working!! If you want to get some fresh air during your stay...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank jennifer_0290
PhilVienna, Manager at Hotel Topazz, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear jennifer_0290,

First and foremost we would like to thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to bring your comments to our attention. It is only through constructive feedback like yours that we can continuously strive to improve our services and offerings for our guests.

We do take comments like yours very seriously and we would like to assure you that, in the meantime, the various issues with our air conditioning have successfully been solved.

The reproach that our hotel did not offer you any compensation for your inconvenience surprised us. For every member of our staff the satisfaction of our guests is the cardinal rule and whatever is necessary to do and we are able to do should be done. We apologize if you did not have had this feeling and do hope that you will give us another chance to convince you of our unique and beautiful hotel and our loving and courteous service.

Also our associates have been briefed concerning the rude behavior of speaking German in front of you.

We would like to sincerely apologize for not completely having met your expectations during your recent stay and we do, however, hope that you will be visiting us again in the future in order for us to be able to show you that Hotel TOPAZZ can in fact provide the service you rightfully expect from a hotel of our kind.

With best regards

Your Hotel TOPAZZ team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 13 July 2013

We recently stayed for three nights at the Topazz. We fully anticipated it to be one of the highlights of our trip and we were not disappointed.

The hotel is perfectly situated. It is very well appointed. The staff are extremely helpful and courteous. Yes, it is not cheap. However, it does prove the adage that you get what you pay for. The extra expense of staying at this hotel is well worth it. In return, you will be pampered in luxurious style.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Apropos10
Reviewed 13 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights during our recent trip to Vienna. The hotel location is very convenient and is right in the heart of the Stephensplatz. The hotel decor is super modern and the room was a great size. The bathroom was immaculate and the bed was very comfortable. Staff was friendly and spoke English. The hotel also offers free drinks in the salon from noon to 10pm which was a lovely touch as we were able to enjoy cappuccino, prosecco, and wine at our leisure. Also the first night we received turn down service and the staff left an Austrian treat for us which we really enjoyed.

The hotel states that the mini bar is included in your price, which we thought would be a great trade off for the hotel not including breakfast, however were disappointed to discover it only contained 1 beer and mineral water. The wi-fi was free, however every time your phone goes idle you have to re-enter the user name and password which proved to be annoying.

The hotel was very nice and overall I'd have given it a higher rating if it weren't for the air conditioning. This was our biggest complaint with the hotel and ended up being the cause of sleepless nights. Air conditioning is an amenity they offer, and you can control the temperature in the room. We found the temperature reading in the room to be grossly inaccurate. The coldest setting was 17 degrees Celsius, which if true would be quite cold. However even at this setting we were sweating in the room. They also turn the air off completely during the middle of the night, which we discovered when we woke up in a sweat and couldn't get back to bed because it was so warm in the room. If staying during Vienna's warm summer months, I might look elsewhere for a hotel with more reliable air conditioning; however, if you are staying in the fall or winter, or can just plain put out up with the heat, I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
PhilVienna, Manager at Hotel Topazz, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear Casey F

We do take comments like yours very seriously and we would like to assure you that, in the meantime, the various issues with our air conditioning and wireless have successfully been solved.

Sadly we had unforeseen complications with our climate control system. The reproach that our hotel did not offer you any compensation for your inconvinience surprised us. For every member of our staff the satisfaction of our guests is the cardinal rule and whatever is necessary to do and we are able to do should be done. We apologize if you did´nt have had this feeling and do hope that you will give us another chance to convince you of our unique and beautiful hotel and our loving and courteous service.

Your Hotel TOPAZZ team.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 1 July 2013

The location of the hotel is very well suited for access to St Stephans Cathedral, shops and restaurants and the metro. This also makes it very convenient to use the CAT train when arriving by air. Reception was very friendly and handled all our requests including an early breakfast in order for us to make our tour and arranging for a third bed in the room. The room is unique, if a little small for three people. But it is clean and well-serviced and there is a well appointed bathroom. Beware the strange curtain which could cause you to expose the person in the bathroom. the mini bar is free, but as a result it isnt very well stocked, although free bottled water is also provided. Breakfast was okay, but there are cheaper options available at the restaurants around St Stephans. The service and location was great, and there is nothing to really fault the hotel on. It is beautiful and unique and you probably wont have a bad stay here, but like others have mentioned, you probably wont leave saying wow either.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the middle priced room. I actually found it to be quite spacious and well appointed. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was relaxing. The service at the hotel was very nice. Upon arrival, I was given a map and shown where are all the sites and shopping were located. They also gave directions to he opera house that we were attending that night. The location of the hotel is perfect. Close to everything and felt very safe. The taxi driver hasn't heard of the hotel. But I showed him the address on my phone and he was able to find it easily. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Nice small hotel. Great location. Friendly staff.
New, to the point that taxi drivers don't know it.
I chose it based on the reviews from Tripadvisor. I had a nice stay, but not the WOW impression I got from the reviews.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We spent three nights in the Hotel Topazz. On our arrival the receptionist was very friendly and helpful however there was a misunderstanding in regarding breakfast. She told us it was free so when we went down the next morning we were charged Euro20 per person. I guess what she meant by free is really available for purchase not free of charge. There more reasonably priced breakfast very close by the hotel. The drinks and snack in mini-bar are free.
The hotel is in a very central location,everything seemed to be within easy walking distance. The room is quite small though. Since we were out the whole day sightseeing and only come back late at night to sleep so that didn't matter that much to us. The hallway light is motion sensor and maybe we are not tall enough for it to sense us. We have to wave our hands! I wish they have motion sensor light when you open the room door as we come back late at night the room is too dark for us to see the slot to put the room card to turn on the light.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends