“Nice boutique hotel near St. Stephan's Cathedral” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Topazz

Hotel Topazz
Ranked #50 of 367 Hotels in Vienna
Houston, Texas
“Nice boutique hotel near St. Stephan's Cathedral”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

We stayed at Hotel Topazz for 4 nights while visiting Vienna for a holiday. We loved the location - close to Stephansplatz underground station, St. Stephan's Cathedral and some excellent shopping areas.

Some reviewer say that the rooms are small, that we felt that it was sufficient, certainly not big, but not too small either. We had a room with one of the cool circular windows. The bathroom was nicely appointed too. Wifi was secured (i.e. not "open"), free and strong, but for some reason we were required to log in every time our devices went to sleep. I would recommend to the hotel that they figure out how to let their customers stay logging in for the duration of their stay.

We enjoyed the afternoon snacks/wine/teas in the "living area". We did not have a room rate that included breakfast and the charge would have been 20 euros/person, so we chose to eat at one of the many nearby places.

2 Thank Love-to-World-Travel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Turin, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

I stayed with my colleague in Hotel topazz for 2 days. I had a room with small balcony, it was pretty and the furnishment was also Very Nice. My Friend had a room with round window that was amazing.
The reception is very small but with very Nice style. Sabrina talked to us in italian because we can Not so much understand english. She was so Great And helpful. We want to thank her again for everything. Also the Guy with Crazy but Nice Hair ( abib???) He was also very cool And friendly.
We didnt have breakfast because it was too expensive for us. For Sure we will come back soon. Hotel topazz is wonderful.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

My wife booked us an overnight in the Topazz as a special treat before flying home from a stay in Austria that week. The hotel was expensive, but we didn't mind splashing out on a bit of luxury, especially given it's location.

On arrival, I was immediately disappointed by two large vases on the ground with yellow plastic "caution" signs beside them. Looking up, I saw two holes in the roof with water dripping from each into the vases below. It is certainly not what you would expect from a 5 star hotel. Neither was the smell of damp to go with it. And in case you're wondering.. this is a boutique hotel, the reception area is tiny! So you're right beside the leak as you check in.

The next surprise was to find out the hotel didn't actually have a restaurant, which really came as a shock. Having travelled for a couple of hours, we were really looking forward to a bit of lunch in luxury, before heading out to Vienna. So it was a disappointment. That said, we were offered suggestions for places to eat close by.

In fact check in was very polite and helpful. Their staff (only met 2) were both extremely professional and welcoming.

We paid for a prestige double room... it was quite swanky and modern with two circular windows, But it was also really small. That said it was clean, warm and comfortable. After a quick shower (which was amazing) we left the hotel to grab some food and explore the city. Returning that night, we enjoyed a complimentary glass of prosecco in their salon before retiring.

Queue the final last disappointment.. the prestige double bed is actually two mattresses pushed together!! It was also made up with two single duvets! Now why would a hotel do that in a prestige double room for a couple????? Very disappointing.

The pluses:

Superb staff, good location, free wifi for as many devices as you want, warm modern room, great shower.

The minus:

Not a double bed, no bar or restaurant, leak/dampness in reception. Very expensive for what it is.

Room Tip: I didn't see the non prestige rooms, but I don't think it's worth paying any extra for t...
2 Thank ciaranwhyte
Cape Town Central, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Unlike the last posted review we found the staff better than could be imagined.Most impressive was their knowledge of any question asked from travel arrangements to restaurants.Our room was superb,overlooking the square-immaculately maintained.The staff spoken English was impeccable.Finally the location really cannot be improved-try it.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking square
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

The location and bathroom are great but I found the service very disappointing. The staff were not welcoming, the room was not serviced til 6.30pm and only after we called them. They state they have snacks from 4 to 5.30pm however on Sunday there was nothing.

I had high hopes for the hotel but was overall disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2013

I recently stayed at the Topazz on a business trip stopover. I arrived early (Austrian flight from Washington DC landed at 7:30 AM) but the hotel had a room for me. As I arrive in city at all hours of the day (and night), having a room when I get there is important to me. I was warmly greated and shown to my room. The room was not huge but very functional and comfortable. The bed was great. I usually forgo sleeping well when I travel as no bed feels like my own at home. However, this one just grabbed me and pulled me in. I slept like a dream and ready for the next day (early trip back to the airport).

The hotel was centrally located and well within walking distance of the Danube Canal and the river itself. I chose to take the City Airport Train into the city from the airport and then take a cab to the hotel, much more cost effective. The front desk staff was very friendly and offered me suggestions of sites close by to see and gave accurate directions for getting to them.

This hotel is now on my short list of places to return when work in not the reason for my travel. Thank you so much for an enjoyable stay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Topazz is a rare gem and I'm not quite sure why is it ranked 'only' 20th best hotel in Vienna?! Spectacular location, wonderful design (it would be great if the designer could please contact me to design my house, please? ;-)), lovely rooms with round window for sitting, working, people watching, great and friendly staff, free mini bar and drinks in the salon, really cannot say how much I enjoyed staying here! Not to mention that Stephensplaz is only 100 m away! Across the road is one of the best markets in Vienna - don't miss it. To go back to Topazz, my fav things were: round windows, wonderful bathroom and shower, super comfortable bed and pillows, and the general feeling of home that hotel brings to weary travellers. I will come back again, no doubt about that. If there was one thing that the hotel can improve on is wireless. It is fast, no probs with that, but you need to log back in every couple of minutes. However, this is NOTHING compared to the rest - TOPAZZ, you rocked my world!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo