“Mass tourism hotel at a good location”

Austria Trend Hotel Ananas
Ranked #161 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Just few meters away from the underground which gets you to St. Stephan's cathedral in the heart of Vienna within 5 minutes. The building is huge, the staff overstrained and the rooms small.
I was attending a seminar and the aircon at the seminar room was cooling and heating at the same time when we had an outside temperature of 35°C! Staff was not able to fix the problem! The sandwiches served during the breaks were of poor quality. So I decided not to join the restaurant for lunch. The restaurant and bar area has no intimacy which is valid for the whole place. Breakfast area overcrowded as the staff did not clean up the tables when people left. Ok for tourists which are staying for a weekend and do not expect much, but there are definitely many more adequate places which do have a good style, cozy atmosphere and friendly viennese hospitality at a fair value!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,775)

Reviewed 5 June 2014

An inexpensive and surprisingly well appointed hotel In an easily accessible location between the stunning Schonbrunn Palace and the historical heart of Vienna. The staff were lovely, and handled the arrival of the 98 people in our party very well, and with great patience. I'd stay there again, and I'll definitely return to Vienna. Charming.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KerryDoyland
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was a bit sceptical about our stay due to the negative reviews and as my partner had booked it for a present but I was pleased that he had. Perfect location, 3 stops from centre or 1/2 hour walk through the local market.
Took S7 from airport to Wien Mitte and the U4 to Pilgrimgasse which is right opposite the hotel and all for 4.20 euros each. Get a Vienna card too as it's definitely worth it.
Back to the hotel - staff were friendly and helpful. Our room was 711 on the executive floor and it was clean with a comfy bed and pillows. We paid for buffet breakfast and no there wasn't a full English but you're in Austria and there was definitely nothing wrong with it. For what we paid for 3 nights B&B - £300 it was a bargain! Don't rule this hotel out, some people are just to picky..

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gongzhu_11
Reviewed 19 May 2014

We stayed there from 15.-18.May 2014. And we still can not understand how this hotel can have 4 stars, We would give 2,5 stars!!! We will go back never to this hotel!!! Usually we visit Trend Parkhotel Schönbrunn in VIenna, the same hotel group, 4 stars also. Our absolute favourite! But Trend Hotel Ananas... Yes, location is good (NB! Just araound the corner is a very good place for eating and drinking - Zum Schwartzen Adler, we recommend to visit!) and service was good also. But... breakfest - the poorest hotel breakfest we have ever had, lucky that we had just 3 mornings there:) No fresh fruits, no fish, no boiled eggs, Coffee was like a coffee drink or something... no comments. Like in a very very cheap hotel. Our room - it was OK, but bathroom - very few place to put all ladies cosmetics etc stuff; wc was insalled this direction that I had to open shower cabin door to be able to sit there somehow (and standing on it was just possible from the side). Ventilation was not very good and once after taking a shower I noticed that daily-service has not brought any towels for the dirty ones... not a big problem, I got these in 2 minutes after the call, but still - I supposed to be at 4-star hotel in Vienna. Also, actually not a problem to call to info-desk to ask for a pencil or some drinks for mini-bar (we had just 2 bottles of mineral water from the list of drinks that had to be in the mini-bar) but... it was not a hostel but a 4-star hotel. Also, places to hang clothes were enough just for one of us (and we did not have too many clothes with us, just 3 sets+jackets for both). And finally: we saw info in the elevater that there should be a sauna also at -1 level. So we went to sauna... it did not seem to be that there was a sauna and finally one service person appeared and said that sauna was under renovation but we did not see any renovation there at all:)

Room Tip: Take some other hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Imre-Gustav V
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Hotel Ananas is part of the Smart category, which includes a number of three and four star hotels, all very conveniently located, that offer quality services at good prices. I think this is true for this hotel, as I've had a pleasant stay here. There are other hotels that I've stayed at in Vienna in this category and I have to say I was happy with all of them. While this wasn't the best hotel I booked in Vienna, it was a nice experience. The Ananas is located next to an underground station that will take you to the historic city centre in minutes. Its location is a big advantage because all the attractions of central Vienna are within reach. Also, the Schonbrunn Palace, the amazing Imperial Gardens and the Schonbrunn Zoo are just an underground train ride away. The hotel is very conveniently set between two beautiful parts of the city. Take one underground line and see the historic Vienna center or go on the line towards the palace and the beautiful part if Vienna it's located in. What I also like about this hotel is that parking is available at the hotel's garage and they allow pets. My room was small but comfortable, but I noticed that room size varies on the same floor. I visited a friend's room three doors down and noticed that her room was bigger and brighter. The breakfast buffet was nice, with plenty of food to choose from. The coffee machines kept breaking down, which was a bit annoying, but I got coffee at the bar afterwards. All in all, I enjoyed my stay at the Ananas: great location, comfy room and very nice hotel staff.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I've had relatives staying at this hotel and I visited them. The hotel is very dirty, worn out and needs some serious wash or refurbishing. The room looked ok but the hall, elevator and lobby left me wondering when was it properly cleaned if ever at all. The lobby bar/coffee shop contained even more surprises. We have ordered some cakes and tea. The lady at the counter have used her fingers.... to pick up the slice of cake and place it on a plate. No gloves, no knife, no other instrument but her bare hand. I was shocked. She didn't seem to be worried at all. Moreover, she was very rude. It looked totally normal to her to behave this way.

I would not advise to stay in this hotel but it you do please avoid that lobby bar/coffee shop unless you find such treatment appropriate.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank AnnaStar888
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We chose these hotel for it's reasonable price vs. location. Would not come back to this place. Basically because of the service. A lot of reviews say that it's not 4* hotel. I agree. However the service we faced brings it down to 1* Motel.
Few days before the flight I've emailed the hotel and asked to get quiet room, in the upper floor and on the rear side of the building with double bed - sleep quality is very important for us. Two days after that, when I got no answer, I called the hotel. A very polite agent recognized our order and promised that will get double bed, and they will do their best to provide us the required room. As the hotel is really huge, I thought there will be no problem. As we got to the reception, we got the opposite of our request. So we asked to change to another room and got a room with two separate beds, that smelled like a pub - alcohol and a lot of cigarette smoke. As we went back to the reception, we were said that there is no other room available now (no apologies for the room condition). We waited two more hours to get the room. After that time, we got another room with 2 beds instead of a double one. Only when we asked to speak with a manager, suddenly an appropriate room was found. The manager did not show up, but promised to call us back. We are still waiting for this call. The next morning we asked to get 2 additional blankets (BTW, you will get double bed with two tiny blankets). We were promised to get those until the evening. This did not happen not that evening nor later.
They will also promise you Free Wifi. It's free because one should not pay for something that does not exist.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple