“Good but not great”

Novotel Suites Wien City Donau
Ranked #126 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We've read all these good reviews and we had maybe too high expectations. It's very well located and very close to a metro station. The room was very spacious but the wc had an apalling urine smell. The breakfast was decent but if the hotel is full and you want to have breakfast after 09.00 then be prepared to wait to get a table.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank georgios123
h3720, Manager at Novotel Suites Wien City Donau, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on tripadvisor.com. I am sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations.

We would be glad to show our improvment at your next stay at our property.

Reviewed 23 October 2012

Beautiful room, quiet stay. The room has a good internet connection (wifi or high-speed wire), a good-sized work table. The bathroom is reasonable, not high luxury, but with everything you need. The bed and other furniture in the room was comfortable, the room was clean. The room has a kettle (but no cups) and a little sink, a separate toilet, which was nice. Very little room for clothes, etc, There is a very small shelf in the bathroom, a tiny wardrobe and a couple of shelves for shirts, etc.
On the down-side, the reception is not friendly or efficient - I was left standing several minutes while waiting for the receptionist to finish doing something on the computer and another man stood by trying to look busy but not really doing anything. The receptionist, then had to serve drinks at the bar while I continued waiting. She did not have time for an apology, an excuse or a "I'll be with you in a minute".
Also, the room is well equipped but consumables are not replaced. My plastic water glass was taken away every day, but never replaced. Also, once I had used the little flask of shower soap provided, it was not replaced.

Room Tip: Ask for an inside facing room, giving on a garden/park rather than on the street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
h3720, Manager at Novotel Suites Wien City Donau, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Suite Novotel Wien Messe. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Suite Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

Reviewed 22 October 2012

The room was nice and spacious although the location is a bit out the way (but close to where I was working).

Unfortunately I was greeted by many orange flies crawling on the walls and floor in my room (on 3rd floor). I wiped them away but every day they would return to greet me upon getting back to my hotel room. They must have come in through the air-con vents or something as the windows were all closed during the day. Some were small and others much larger but every day without fail I'd find between 5 - 10 in my room walking around.

Frankly this is unacceptable and I'd urge management to take a look.

Also - despite my best efforts at regulating the temperature, the air-con did not work well and it blew out hot air throughout my stay. Last week it was between 15C and 20C in Vienna and the room was baking..

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank p0lak

Dear guest

thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Suite Novotel Wien Messe. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Me, my wife and our teenage son stayed at this hotel during our weekend city break in Vienna. I booked our room through the Novotel web site. We got a package that included the breakfast. I mention this because i doubt i would pay 12 Euro for, on the first look, very basic breakfast. However, since it was included, we were pleasantly surprised. It was more than enough for the heavy day ahead.
Room (suite) is really big. It can be visually divided with panels. It has separate toilet and bathroom with shower and bathtub. A small kitchen part is equipped with microwave, fridge and a sink.
Room has a LCD with a decent choice of music and movies, beside cable TV (maybe a list of channels could be more international). Also, we used wifi for skype video call. All that free of charge.
Neighborhood is very quiet. Metro station is 100m from the hotel.
Hotel does not have restaurant for lunch or dinner, but you can buy a sandwich or a meal you can cook in microwave oven in the lobby. It is a little bit more expensive than to buy it in the shop.
All in all, we were very satisfied with the service we got for the price we payed.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank softwaredude2
h3720, Manager at Novotel Suites Wien City Donau, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2012

Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to leave such great comments on trip advisor.com!

I am really looking forward to welcoming again at Suite Novotel Wien Messe.

Reviewed 9 October 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 October 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
h3720, Manager at Novotel Suites Wien City Donau, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Reviewed 3 October 2012

I was travelling with a group of friends and Vienna was my first destination. The hotel has a great location and thats its biggest selling point. A 2 minute walk to the Underground station and just a few stations away from the city center (Stephenplatz). The reception staff is friendly and professional. The triplet room was smartly furnished; the retractable partitions maintanied privacy when required. The Wi-fi was fast. Good breakfast. I would definitely like to visit again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends