“Basic hotel, avoid if you can”

Novotel Suites Wien City Donau
Ranked #123 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
GreenLeadersBronze level
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Basic hotel, avoid if you can”
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

I'm told that we struggle with finding a good hotel in Vienna. Perhaps this is how I ended up at the Suite Novoel Wein. On the plus side, the room is reasonably large, shower fairly powerful and the WiFi was consistent. The bad...

Breakfast
The breakfast is terrible... poor selection and bland. Take my advice, cross the street and go to Ullman's and you will get a much nice breakfast for less than the comical €13 they charge here.

Bathroom
The bathroom and shower unit appears to be some kind of pre fabricated unit that is vac formed and put in to place in the room. It looks cheap and what really ruined my stay was the smell of urine. There is simply no excuse for this, it just shows that they do not clean the rooms, merely tidy them. I complained about the smell three times during my 3 night stay and the did absolutely nothing. Throughout my stay I would put my shoes on to go use the toilet.

To summarise, really do try and avoid this place if you can. If you end up here not of your own volition then at least take solace that you can get a good breakfast from Ullman's.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank DrEBrown
h3720, Manager at Novotel Suites Wien City Donau, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear guest

At Suite Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Windsor, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I had reserved a double room and paid in advance
when i arrived i was given a horrible family room which was not convenient
i was told by reception that by the time that I arrived all the double rooms had been given out
So what was the point of paying in advance to guarantee the room that I wanted?
Somebody's pubic hair was on the shower wall and this was most unpleasant

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

London
Reviewed 30 March 2014

On the whole, I am a great fan of the Accor Hotels group (of which Novotel is but one of their many brands), but I wonder if their prolferating number of brands is really helpful.

I hadn't stayed at a Suite Novotel before, and had naively assumed it would be a similar standard to a Novotel. In fact, it is rather different, but in a really bizarre way.

On the one hand, the rooms are bigger than usual. Novotel's branding describes them as "suites". That's perhaps stretching the definition of "suite" a little bit, but there is no doubt my room was a very good size for a hotel room. In addition to the bed, there was a sofa and a good-sized desk, which could be partitioned from the bed if needed.

But the quality of the accommodation is rather less than would be expected for a Novotel. If you transported me to the bathroom without seeing the rest of the hotel, told me I was in an Accor hotel, and asked me to guess which brand, I would have said Ibis. The bathroom had the same plasticky feel and cheap toiletries that you get in an Ibis. It also had a raised plastic floor which make it feel more like being in a caravan than a hotel.

And as others have noted, there is no door to the bathroom, so if you're sharing a room with someone and don't want them to watch you shower, tough luck. There is, however, a separate loo, which does have a door.

The room was reasonably well equipped in some respects. There was a kettle, a microwave, a safe, and a good number of electric sockets. On the downside, there was disappointingly little storage and hanging space for such a large room. I was only there for 3 days, and I wasn't able to hang up all the shirts I'd brought with me. I'm sure it's fine if you're only there for a night or two, but if you're there for a longer stay and you prefer to unpack rather than live out of your suitcase, then you may struggle.

The service from reception was mostly pretty good, although it was spoiled by one little glitch. I had asked for a late checkout, and mentioned that I believed that this should have been complimentary as a result of my silver status in the Accor Hotels loyalty programme. The receptionist agreed when he arranged the late checkout, but when the time came to actually check out, he tried to charge me for it. He eventually agreed not to charge me, but only after a rather awkward argument.

There was a good selection of cold buffet stuff for breakfast, but the hot breakfast was rather sparse: just rather ordinary scrambled eggs and sausages.

On the plus side, this hotel was cheaper than I'd normally expect to pay for a Novotel, so in terms of value for money it was probably about right.

There were really no major problems with this hotel, and although I felt a little disappointed with it, that's maybe because my expectations were higher than they should have been as I was expecting a Novotel-like experience. If you go there expecting something like an Ibis but with bigger rooms, you'd probably be quite happy with it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank NautiusMaximus

Bavaria, Germany
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Ok this place isn't central, but it's a two minute walk to the metro and the metro is pretty good and easy to navigate. The family suites at the hotel work really well and each has an integrated room divider, which gives you a sense of privacy as a family. Rooms are quiet and big too. Breakfast is nice in the morning, but get there early as it can get crowded. Friendly staff, great value. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner suite...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank EmmaRSR
h3720, Manager at Novotel Suites Wien City Donau, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear guest,

thank you very much for your nice words about your stay at Suite Novotel Wien City. I am very happy you have enjoyed your stay.

I am looking forward to welcoming you again!
Glos
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here for a city break of 5 nights and it was absolutely perfect for our needs.

The room was large, spotlessly clean with free WiFi and, oh bliss, a window that opened fully! Yes there was no door to the bathroom area: but many hotels make a feature of having a bath right in the bedroom! The shower was of course cubicled off and there was a brilliant overhead shower in the bath as well. And the toilet was separate altogether! Perfectly adequate hospitality tray; fridge and microwave and free coffee and cake in the hotel lobby in the morning, and hardly a minute away from the nearest U Bahn and less than 10 minutes' ride from the city centre.

The staff were friendly, charming and efficient and the price....390 euro for five nights: wow. We could also have had free use of a smart car if we'd wanted and a free gym and massage but I am afraid we were too busy doing other stuff in this wonderful city.

Not only would I always choose Suite Novotel again wherever it is an option, but I would go so far as to say it would influence my choice of city break venue if I knew there was one there!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
h3720, Manager at Novotel Suites Wien City Donau, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Dear guest,

we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Suite Novotel Wien City. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one. We are looking forward to welcoming you next time at Suite Novotel Wien City.
Split-Dalmatia County, Croatia
Reviewed 4 February 2014

it's a nice hotel with good location in Vienna.
it"s true you dont have doors for the bathroom but more or less this is the standard in suite novotel.
the service was good, the breakfast is nice with nice choice.
they have a gym which is not big but enough for running or making basic steps.
the room are very large well equiped with a nice big table to work properly et les chambres sont propres.
there is also a parking down.
will go again and the price is very cheap for Vienna

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
h3720, Manager at Novotel Suites Wien City Donau, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear guest,

thank you very much for your nice feedback. I am glad you´ve enjoyed your stay at Suite Novotel Wien City.

We are looking forward to welcoming you next time!
Europe
Reviewed 28 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights at this hotel and it was more than enough. Going there with kids is a no no. Bathroom door was missing and to top it all up beds are adjacent to the bathroom. On the whole, pretty decent room, spacious and clean. Very good Wi-Fi all throughout and friendly staff.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
h3720, Manager at Novotel Suites Wien City Donau, responded to this review, 4 February 2014
Dear guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Suite Novotel Wien Messe. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.