“Nice hostel in great location in Vienna”

Hostel Ruthensteiner
Ranked #1 of 217 Speciality Lodging in Vienna
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Very clean, beautiful garden, great staffs, small size room, but very close and within walking distances to every interesting places in Vienna, try to get standing room for the opera- it's worth the wait and still have time to enjoy dinner and a stroll back to the hotel for the night, also it is very close to the train station.

Room Tip: Try to get the room away from the garden so you can get a bit more sleep
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Courtney D, Manager at Hostel Ruthensteiner, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Thank you for your lovely review, liket0g0, we really appreciate it! Happy travelling!!!

Reviewed 30 May 2014

First timers in a hostel and we probably picked the best. We were looking for something less expensive than the standard hotel room and with a teenage son in tow, this turned out to be one of our best memories of the trip. Just a one night stay, but so many great memories....the guitar/piano singing jam session in the downstairs common room, the cheap drinks at the bar and the lovely Austrian courtyard. Our son went out with the other young travelers and we took off on our own adventure that night. The front desk was sooo helpful with local information and suggestions and gave us use of one of the free internet connected computers. Our room was stark, but served a purpose and was clean as a whistle. We did reserve a private 4 bunk room so it was not the usual communal sleeping quarters, but we still felt like family with the rest of the "vagabonders" in the hostel. Now, we're ready to try it again somewhere else in the world!

Room Tip: This hostel gives you a choice to reserve a private room at a little higher price for 3 or 4 people.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Courtney D, Manager at Hostel Ruthensteiner, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Hi Luckyattwentyone - how lucky are we to have had the honor of initiating you into the world of hostelling! THANK YOU for this lovely review - wishing you and your family many vagabond-adventures ahead! And please do come back one day and tell us all about them :)!

Reviewed 26 May 2014

This independent hostel has a very cozy ambience that provides a relaxing escape from the city center. The staff is extremely kind and helpful and there are many free materials to help you plan your visit to Vienna. The location is just a short tram ride away from all the major sights of the city but is in a quiet neighborhood so you can get some sleep. There are so many gardens and the rooms are bright. I loved my stay here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Lauren S
Reviewed 16 May 2014

The hostel is very nice. Atmosphere and environment was very good. Staff there were very friendly and helpful. Our room was upgraded to a family room. The room is very large and bright and tidy. Love the stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Almond M
Courtney D, Manager at Hostel Ruthensteiner, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thanks for taking the time to write such a nice review, Almond M! I do hope we can welcome you back sometime soon!

Reviewed 15 May 2014

I love everything about this hostel. The location, the room, the bed, the compact toilet, the garden, the lobby, the staff, the service and the ambience. I would definitely stay in this hostel again in the future.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jacqps

THANKS for the LOVE, Jacqps!!! Do come back and visit us sometime soon!

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This must start with a confession. Prior to this trip, I was (gulp) a hostel virgin. When planning a Vienna, Bratislava, and Budapest trip with my (much!) younger travelmate, he suggested a hostel for at least one of the cities we were in. I was game ... I mean, I'm young at heart, right? So no matter what experience this throws at me, I've got this. I've had plenty of friends do the backpack-across-Europe thing so I had a pretty good idea of what to expect, right? Wrong, wrong, wrong.

What a totally fantastic experience start to finish. Now mind you I have only this experience to go on, but I was totally thrilled with everything about the Ruthensteiner. Location: awesome. Rooms: clean and bright. Staff: friendly and super helpful. Amenities: expansive and great - everything from a piano to pre-printed directions for the top local tourist spots and train stations. The common area was large and great for lounging and chatting with other guests. The nights we were there, there were solo travelers, couples, and families - a perfect slice of life from all across the globe.

My only complaint was the noise - both the hallways and street were noisy which had me up really early every morning, but hey, I was on vacation and Vienna was calling!

I travel frequently and favor B&Bs and if this is what a good hostel can offer, consider me hooked.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank KSchascheck
Courtney D, Guest Relations Manager at Hostel Ruthensteiner, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Thank you for this lovely review - we’re HONORED to be the first to initiate you to the world of hosteling! Wishing you many more adventures in the great hostels of Europe and beyond. All the best, and happy travelling!!!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

This must be the best hostel I've ever stayed in. It's small, light, clean, and secure. The ambience is chilled and the people are happy. Rooms are bright and clean, the staff are always pleasant and helpful, there's free computers to use, iPads to rent, reliable wi-fi, and a neat little bar with daily happy hours. The reception desk is covered with useful bits of paper with directions to Vienna landmarks and places of interest, telling you what routes to go on the public transport, or you can just ask the staff. There's also a sheltered garden and a free-to-use barbeque. Definitely great value for money. The only thing I'd like would be bigger 'safe' lockers to store larger valuables on- I had to travel with my laptop and I didn't want to leave it in the storage lockers out of the sight of the reception- but that's all. I had a great stay here and at 17 euros a night, it's a bargain compared to nearby places.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank JG_137

What a lovely review, thanks so much for taking the time - we really appreciate the positive feedback!

Next time you visit (hopefully soon!), do feel free to leave large items like laptops behind the desk at reception - we'll take good care of it for you! Happy travelling!!!