“Might have been alright a decade ago...”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Porzellaneum

Hotel Porzellaneum
Ranked #322 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Hampshire, England
“Might have been alright a decade ago...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2014

On a tour of Europe, my friend an I had scoured all hostel advertisement websites and finding nothing fantastic we settled on this place because it was in our budget. We arrived early evening and did not have to wait at reception. Unfortunately our booking with a third party website had not gone through to the hotel, they kindly allowed us to pay the same price though. We weren't thrilled when we got to our room: the furniture was old and smelt a little musty, but there was a sink and drying rack. We decided to be optimistic, but were further unimpressed with the toilet and communal shower facilities. Wifi was expensive but there is a free computer in the lounge. It was lucky we were exhausted both nights because the mattresses and bedding were not comfortable, and the beds particularly narrow. Breakfast was okay but expensive for basic continental food. If you are a young (and fairly thin!) and just want a place to put your head down for a few nights, then go for it, otherwise I'd steer clear.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Families
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

The title says it all.

Our room was very small, the beds were really small with high edges so we couldn't fit, the mattresses were very dirty and stained, there were no towels at all and the only lights we had were some FL-tubes.

In the morning you would wake up early because of doors being slammed. The sanitair was one of the worst parts of the hotel. At each floor there were only 2 toilets of which one was clogged and the other had no lights. The showers were awful, smelly and the water was cold in some of them. Lots of hairs all over the floor and in the drains. It really seemed as if there hasn't been cleaned in ages.

The only good thing about this hotel is the garden. The garden is a really nice place to hang around when it is really warm.

Conclusion: not worth the money, find a better place.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Joris v

Travellers are raving about these Vienna hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Looks good until you get to your room. Old furniture, mattresses with stains, beds with high edges where lots of people won't fit in and an old, dirty floor. the desk was being held together with tape. the only lights that weren't broken were a few fluorescent tubes..

the showers were full of hair and stank badly.

find something better worth your money.

2 Thank Lars V
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

So we arrive in Vienna in the evening and get to the hostel around 10, we join the queue to talk to reception, this queue took an hour for them to process four people, the receptionist was more interested in talking to his friend than serving the customers. We complete a very arduous check in process then get our key walk up four flights of stairs just to find that the room was broken the beds were in several pieces around the room and the room smelt horribly. So we go back downstairs to talk to the staff again but the guy is already busy with another pair of guests who we found out had been allocated a room which already had people in it making our experience not seem like an isolated one. We were then reallocated a room however this time the key doesn't work so after another visit to reception we have a room which has beds in it. While we were glad to have a place to sleep as it was now 11:30 the room itself is very dirty. It has brown marks all along the wallpaper, the floor is cheap linoleum and where it meets the walls it is either covered over with what looks like duck tape or it is not covered at all and just frayed and dirty. The furniture is grimy and dusty, the beds had dust and fluff between the sheets.

About the rest of the hotel;
The breakfast is ?5 for bread, jam, cheese and cereal. It is refiled quite slowly.
The WiFi is ?1 a hour/?5 a day/?15 a week
The showers are large communal ones with a gender per floor I.e. all showers on the 2nd for are for men all on the 3rd are for women.

Despite the website we booked it through said that it had self catering facilities the reception staff say the only kitchen is in the student accommodation area of the hotel and is meant for the students, upon inspection it is a small dingy, dirty kitchen with a few appliances and next to no cooking implements.

The only positives are that it is fairly cheap and in a good location. However these are undermined completely by how poor it is.

To sum it up this is one of the worst places I have ever had the displeasure of staying, avoid at all costs I cannot warn you enough.

3 Thank Moist_Penguin
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2013

The location is good.

It is true that the room was small, but the price was reasonable.

Friendly staff, but no WC nor shower in your room.

I have been there twice already and I think I will come back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank jan k
Pisek, Czech Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2012

We were there with my friend 2 nights. Receptionists were pleasant and helpful. The room was clean and had small vestibule with a sink (in my dormitory in Plzen, we haven´t sink in a room). The showers were clean, but women’s showers were one floor up or down. Once I must use men’s shower (without men), because women's showers were occupied (in Plzen we have unisex bathroom :) ). Disaster was my bed, it still creaked. There were kitchens, but during holidays were probably closed. I saw laundry room with washing machines too. I think this is normal dormitory and I was satisfied.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sairina
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

I would like to point the main disadvantages of this horrible place...

-No kitchen or fridge in the room
-5 euros for 1 day internet either you use it or not. Several disconnections and upper limit the 3Gb.
-5 euros for breakfast each day. The orange juice must had been with water.
-No cleaning service. Two days now and I have the same towels and I have a little spider as a company
-My room has a basin that has only hot water. And when I referred the problem to the manager he said ok and then he ignored the problem.
-Forgot my hair shampoo in the showers and then it was lost
-No aircondition
-You can hear all the doors etc in the morning
-Old furniture
-Not a single hanger in the closet
-No paper in the room. You have to take one from the toilet.
-Very expensive for what it offers.

Conclusion:
I expected a much better impression for what it costed me and
the reputation of Vienna.

Avoid it at all costs...

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank A30lex