Hotel Altstadt Vienna
Pension Wild(Vienna)
Hotel Kugel(Vienna)
  • Room Service
2,621 results
All reviewsmuseum quartertea and cakematteo thunmodern artunique hotelapartment buildinghigh ceilingsjunior suitefirst floorwithin walking distanceliving roomsmoked salmonlounge areabreakfast was deliciousperfect stayroom was largeside street
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed for three nights in June and absolutely loved the place. I had booked it based on location and Tripadvisor reviews.
Really quirky place in a lovely old apartment building. It is situated very close to Vokstheater metro station and pretty much all the major sights are walkable from the hotel anyway.
The staff are in a league of their own. Super friendly, helpful, charming - could not ask for anything more.
Great room with high ceilings. Clean. Everything worked! Funky art.
The breakfasts was superb. Excellent buffet and eggs made to order. The homemade cakes are divine. I am Austrian so I know my cakes but have never eaten better Strudel than in this place. The pastry chef deserves a medal.
It is not cheap but good value for money for central Vienna. I shall certainly stay here again and am recommeding the place to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Astrid23
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We have stayed at least 10 times in this hotel. I actually have difficulty calling this a "hotel". This is a place you really feel not only "at home", but almost in your private "palace"! There are rooms, suites, apartments of diverse sizes and styles in this beautiful old building on a quiet side street in Vienna. They are all elegantly decorated with design and art objects of the owner's collection. Apart from the smallest rooms, they are all very spacious, with high ceilings, and some with a kitchen.

Location is ideal, near the historic centre but not directly inside its busy and rather claustrophobic narrow streets and spaces. If you are into contemporary art, MuseumsQuartier is within walking distance. This is an excellent place not only for art but just for spending time with your family.

All staff is very kind and friendly, which contributes to the feeling of being at home.

Every afternoon, complimentary choice of high-quality teas and coffee is served together with a cake, or if you are lucky, with some "topfenstrudel"!

The breakfast buffet offers a variety of high quality, organic, local and imported delicacies and is always a treat.

The only reason I could not give five points to the whole experience this time was the air quality of the breakfast room. The breakfast is unfortunately only until 11 even on the weekends, and there is a rush-hour crowd during the last hour. The air was a mixture of fried eggs' smell from the kitchen, cigarette smoke from the smoking room next door, and extra-dry, used-up air from the air-conditioning. When we asked to open some windows, we were not allowed because "the room was air-conditioned." We had to leave before finishing our breakfast. I know, a lot of people mistake cool-air for fresh-air, and there are many people who would prefer air-conditioned rooms to the warm breeze coming from the window; but I think the quality of this establishment would require the latter, and there are situations where an open window is really preferable. I hope we will encounter better air-quality in the breakfast room during our next visit and will be able to give five full points, which would also correspond to our numerous previous visits. This is as simple as opening one of these beautiful large windows; the air quality in Vienna is exceptionally good, in every season and weather.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank akliselim
Reviewed 29 July 2012

The staff was great, the rooms are excellent (clean & spacious). The breakfast is one of the best I ever had.

But the Wi-Fi is just horrible. It disconnects you every 10 minutes, and you have to enter login & password all the time. Also, if you have 2 devices, you have to use 2 logins & passwords. Make the Wi-Fi free to connect (and a bit faster by the way) and you'll have me back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Matthieu O
Reviewed 27 July 2012

I stayed two pleasant nights at the Altstadt. It is not a particularly impressive hotel from the exterior, and it's in a drab side street, but I was impressed from the outset by the very friendly girls at reception, who lent me an umbrella and pointed me in the direction of an easy walk to the major attractions. Although the hotel is not in the central district, it is very close, and the Volkstheatre metro station, with access to the U2 & U3 lines, is just a five minute walk away.

My room was spacious, and in very good order. The bathroom was modern and highly functional. I asked for a room overlooking the back of the hotel, and this was very quiet at night, even with both large windows fully open. My only reservation was about the bed, which I found too hard, and the single duvets which didn't seem to cover the double bed. But I still slept well.

Breakfast, included in the price, was exceptionally good with a fine selection of cheeses, meats, fruits and breads on offer.

A find, and one to which I shall return.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I agree with every good thing every other reviewer has said. I stayed for three nights in one of the designer rooms--it was immaculately clean, the beds were comfortable, and there was fresh fruit every day. There was no view--it looked out onto a light shaft--but I wasn't in Vienna to sit in my room and look out the window. I was there to go to museums and this hotel is perfectly situated to get to and from all the biggest Viennese museums with ease. I found all the recommendations from the front desk on where to eat in the neighborhood to be good. One night we took a tram out to Grinzing and had a wonderful buffet meal and glass of wine--the front desk told us how to get there using public transportation and it was an easy (and delicious) evening. On a rainy afternoon I sat in the lounge reading my book, drinking tea, and eating about twenty of the caramels from a bowl in the lobby--I felt more like a guest in someone's house than a customer at a hotel.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends