“Surprisingly Good Mexican Food and Bar”
Review of Kulin

Kulin
Ranked #2,989 of 4,267 Restaurants in Vienna
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours
Neighbourhood: Neubau
“Surprisingly Good Mexican Food and Bar”
Reviewed 4 September 2012 via mobile

Nice place, good price, hip atmosphere. Extensive drink menu, very impressed. Mexican food was good, they certainly worked with the local ingredients. Had the nachos (pretty good) and a 2 person platter that had tacos, burritos, shrimp, corn on the cob and chicken wings. It was 13 euro per person. I thought it was 13 euro for the whole dish for two people but was surprised when I got the bill and it's each person pays 13 euro. With that said go for something else on the menu, much better price.

London, United Kingdom
“Unbelievably bad service”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Really quite awful, went there after work one evening on a business trip, restaurant inside was empty, outside had about 5 vacant tables.

I opted to sit inside, with a German menu that was thrown at me by a tall waitress, waited 15minutes for her to return and take my order, meanwhile lots of other waiters and waitresses stood around the middle of the bar chatting to each other.

My first question when the waitress eventually did come over was "do you have this menu in English?" her answer was no, so I looked down and she was gone - again she returned after a few minutes with a tray and drink in her hand (for someone else) and asked what I want to drink. I said I need help translating the menu, I'd like a mexican beer and I cannot make heads nor tails of the menu - she pointed out in about 3 seconds all the beers including Heineken which I remarked wasn't Mexican - she immediately walked off and disappeared.

After this no-one came back I eventually picked up my jacket and newspaper and walked out.

This place is a disgrace if you are Asian or don't fit the image of a cool type person (me - Indian guy in a business suit) they won't give you time of day.

I mentioned this to my colleague at work and she said his girlfriend and her Iranian friends went there once and were treated the same way.

Outrageous - I will never go back.

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Alt247
London, United Kingdom
“Unbelievably bad service”
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Outrageous - I will never go back.

• Visited August 2012
3 Thank Alt247
Mo i Rana, Norway
“Good Tex-Mex restaurant”
Reviewed 19 July 2012

From the first look this seems to be a place for drinks, but we decided to try their Tex-Mex food and were surprised by the quality. The portions were big and the food was really good. This was one of the few places we visited in Vienna where the waiters struggled with the english language, but the menu wasn't too complicated so we got what we wanted.
We sat outside in the pedestrian street. It was a little noisy and the table were a bit wobbly, but it was too hot to sit inside on this lovely evening.
A few more choices of Mexican or Spanish beer to go with the food would have been nice, but overall this was a nice surprise. Recommended if you get tired of the Austrian or Italian restaurants in the neighbourhood.

• Visited July 2012
Vienna, Austria
“Good Tex-Mex at reasonable prices in Vienna”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

Very nice Mexican food (if not particularly authentic, more Tex-Mex) in a fun atmosphere. Lots of chicken and beef (and a few seafood) dishes--order a variety and share with your group for the best experience. The atmosphere is fun and casual, so it's a great place to meet a group for drinks and nibbles, too.

The atmosphere is fun and there's an outdoor seating area on a side street that is pedestrians only so it's a great place for people watching in warm weather.
This restaurant is in a really cool area with lots of charming restaurants in Vienna's 7th district--it's on the main street but check out the two side streets perpendicular to it, Gutenberggasse and Spittelberggasse, for the ultimate in Viennese charm--cobblestone streets loaded with unique restaurants and small art galleries.

The service at Kulin is pretty decent, and anyone who's spent time in Vienna knows that's a rarity. I've been three times with various friends, smaller groups and larger, and each time they've been helpful and friendly, and fairly attentive. Prices are moderate too, for a place so near the Museumsquartier and other center city spots.

Highly recommended for good good, friendly and fun atmosphere, decent prices.

• Visited June 2012