“Disappointing” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014

The first stop in our Europe itinerary turned out to be disappointing. After a fairly long flight, we reached the hotel by cab at night to find out that the four star hotel had no air conditioning. The two rooms were small but clean. To us, they looked cramped. On our request, they provided us with table fans as the rooms were quite warm. The fans could not be kept on the table as the wire was not long enough and had to be kept on the floor. That hardly helped us with the situation! We had to request for a kettle for tea and coffee. It was not provided in the room. There was no exhaust fan in the toilet which seemed very unhygienic.
The location was central and the breakfast was ample. Definitely not going back there.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
      Cleanliness
3 Thank Rita745
linda_labschuetz, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Hotel Erzherzog Rainer, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
Dear Rita745,

Thank you for informing us about your experience. Our Hotel Erzherzog Rainer offers different categories which also vary on size. Do not hesitate to contact us directly at the time of your reservation; our team will be pleased to advise you in order to find the fitting solution.

We are sorry that the fans we provided turned out to have a too short wire and therefore you had to keep them on the floor. Our reception is manned 24 hours a day, please contact us directly on site, in order to allow us an immediate reaction.

Tea and coffee making facilities are available upon request. Please find these and more interesting information in our guest map, provided in every room.

We are happy that you were very satisfied with the hotel location and the breakfast buffet and thank you for your compliments.

Wishing you a nice summer continuation, we remain,

with best regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh, Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Oh what a disappointment this hotel turned out to be. It has one major drawback.....there is not air conditioning in every room. Indeed, I don't know if any room has air conditioning. True it's not needed in a Viennese winter but it certainly is in summer.This little gem is not mentioned on their web site. There was a fan in the room which was broken (probably through over-use) so it was replaced by an even smaller fan. The windows couldn't be left open at night because of the noise coming from outside. What made it even worse, as soon as you entered the lobby or the restaurant for breakfast, the cool air made you aware of the sweltering room you had just come from. This is also the first hotel I have ever have been in, in which I had to get an electrical extension lead due to the lack of power sockets.
Staff at reception were very professional and pleasant. The breakfast on offer was superb.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Passepartout56
Dear Passepartout56,

We regret that your stay did not completely fulfil your expectations, mainly because of the lack of air-conditioning in the rooms.

We are sorry that the brought fan turned out to be smaller than the first one and therefore offered less cooling. Please do not hesitate to contact the reception desk during your stay in order to allow us to react immediately.

The Hotel Erzherzog Rainer is an historical building and therefore not all rooms have more than three or four power sockets. We are happy we could help you with an extension to enable you to load all your devices.

Your nice compliments regarding the reception staff and the breakfast offer have already been passed to our team. Thank you.

We wish you a nice summer continuation and remain,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed in Vienna by myself, from July 28- August 3, 2014. This hotel was quaint, the room was smaller than anticipated, (but I've heard that most European rooms are small), perfect just for me! The hotel was very close to the transport system and close to the city center via walking (for a first time visitor I recommend walking, it gives you times to take in the sights and acclimate yourself. Free WiFi that is fast and works in your room is always wonderful.

The staff is always nice; especially Ms Eisenbach (I hope I got it right!!) at the reception desk. Always willing to help with a smile and answered every question I had.

My package came with the breakfast option and it was the same food everyday, but it was delicious and there are many different varieties of food, from cold cuts, to yogurt, to eggs (scrambled/ hard boiled/ soft boiled).

The only 2 things I found weird was the fact that #1 I had to surrender my room key every time i left (to be honest its HUGE and heavy but very beautiful) and I only had a fan in my room, which made for one icky night as it was humid during the night.

Otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed myself and hope to return soon!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Dear Louise T,

Thank you very much for your detailed review, giving us important feedback about our service and offer.

We are very happy that you enjoyed yourself and that you hope to return soon.

Looking forward to welcome you back in Vienna, we remain,

Ripon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for 2 nights, we both loved it, the staff were helpful, our room on the second floor was nice and comfortable and spotlessly clean. It was in a good location with the transport system. Breakfast was wonderful. The visit to Vienna was to see where things were as my daughter is returning in September to study at the university for a year, so when we come to visit her we will definitely be staying again. Beautiful building with original features, but at the same time all mod cons. Can not recommend highly enough!!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
linda_labschuetz, Internet Guest Relation Manager at Hotel Erzherzog Rainer, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Dear Deborah F,

We are delighted to read that you and your daughter felt very comfortable with us and enjoyed a nice stay at our Hotel Erzherzog Rainer.

We appreciate your nice compliments and already passed them to the entire team.

We would like to take this opportunity and wish your daughter a great start at the university here in Vienna!

Waiting for your soon return, we remain,

Ghaziabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

I found the location of this hotel so very convenient and my stay here so much comfortable that I decided to book it again; and good that I did! On my return from Budapest, when I rechecked in at the hotel, I was given a room on the fifth floor instead of the second floor, where I had lodged in earlier. As I had nothing against my room on the previous occasion, I felt disheartened. But when I did go into my room, I had a pleasant surprise. I had been upgraded to an extravagant room, which was not only bigger in size, but had separate bath and toilet and was much more well appointed. It even had a bath tub. Certainly, my loyalty had been paid for. The staff were real courteous and the breakfast was nice and healthy. What else would someone want to have away from home?

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ranjan-K-Singh,

We are delighted to learn about your experience and thank you for choosing to book us again, when returning from Budapest.

We are happy we could convince you again and even improve our service and offer.

We hope you will keep your stays in good memories and look forward to your next Vienna trip.

Best regards
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2014

This is a four star hotel in a very good location in terms of seeing the sights of Vienna. The staff at the check-in desk were extremely helpful and courteous. The breakfasts were the best that we experienced at any hotel in Europe and the dinners were also very good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
      Location
Dear rebeccafriendly,

We are glad to read that you fully enjoyed your stay at our Hotel Erzherzog Rainer and could benefit from its location to reach the sights of our beautiful city.

With pleasure we already passed your compliments to the team and thank you especially for your praise of our breakfast buffet.

Wishing you a great summer continuation, we remain,

Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 July 2014

I spent 11 nights here. This is an older building, maybe a century or more, but does not show its age, only its elegance. The smaller rooms lack air conditioning, a definite disadvantage in the heat of July, but I only was really uncomfortable on two nights. The staff is friendly, helpful, and professional. The large and varied breakfast buffet nearly justifies the visit on its own. Be careful! You may not be able to handle lunch. My room was clean, elegant, well laid out, and just big enough for one person. The public areas include a charming sitting room, a really nice breakfast room, and a fish pond! The hotel is located a short walk outside Vienna's central core, with excellent access to both the underground (U-Bahn) and the streetcar service, so everything of interest is no more than 15 to 30 minutes away. The immediate area is not of much interest, but this is of no consequence. Overall, the value for money is very high: charming building, exceptional staff, good location, all for a good price. I will certainly put this hotel at the top of my list for a subsequent visit.

Room Tip: In the summer, you may want to book a room with air-conditioning.