“My iPod Classic gone missing at this Ikea-esque hotel....”
Review of Le Meridien Vienna

Le Meridien Vienna
Ranked #82 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
New York City, New York
“My iPod Classic gone missing at this Ikea-esque hotel....”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

I had left my iPod Classic in the clock/dock after check out and realised it after two days.

Normally, when you leave anything in your room, the staff calls you about 10 minutes after you check out (I've had that happen several times when I left books etc that I had finished reading).
I happened to be back at this hotel after three days in Graz so I checked but they weren't very helpful. They either didn't give me any, or when they did, contradicting info.
I wouldn't even think it was the cleaning staff (had seen her and she was extremely kind and helpful) that was responsible but surely the quality check that they do after your room gets cleaned and cleared should have noticed. If they didn't then surely their job is pointless... After I pressed this issue really hard, they gave me an update or two on the situation, which was that they could do nothing and hadn't found my iPod....they said: 'it must have been taken by the guests that stayed in your room after you, and we have contacted them but they are not answering / replying'. Never heard from them again.

Apart from that, this is a very average hotel, and therefore overpriced, that is clearly cutting costs on many fronts; 1 - staff numbers are at a bare minimum and that shows upon check in (long lines and only one staff member behind the counter), 2 - room service (which is friendly but bad anyway, when you order an egg you don't get toast with it and when you ask for toast they appear about 45 minutes later with two slices but no butter...), 3 - toiletries (no nail file, cotton buds etc, just shower gel and shampoos) and 4 - furniture (most decent hotels update / refurbish every 5 years, not here seemingly, and also it looks very Ikea).

I notified the concierge and the reception desk of a faulty, flickering and noisy (loud clicking sounds) exit sign that was right outside my door, they said they'd look at it immediately but never did, not even the next day. I had to change room but walked past it the day after, still the same.

They do seem to try their best to conceal that they are cutting costs by telling the staff to be super friendly, which they are, but that doesn't help much really. When they say: 'we'll look into that straight away Ms.(insert your name here)', you smile and think that's great, but then nothing happens...so useless really.

I actually almost feel sorry for the staff, who really are very friendly and seem to try their very best, but they just can't seem to handle a work load that clearly demands more staff.
It feels a bit like you're being taken for a ride, together with the staff, by the management. They are cutting costs or so while the staff suffers and you, the customer, pays the same amount you would've for what you expect to get, and the owners / management undoubtedly still cashes in regardless of crisis or whatever the situation is. And you the customer should notice nothing and smile and happily leave? Makes me feel a bit like I am being treated like a fool. Especially when you actually quite obviously notice they are concealing the fact they are cutting costs drastically.

The free minibar (water, soft drinks and a beer) is a cheap way of pretendending you get value for money.

Having said that, I say it again, for the very most part, the staff really is super friendly and try their very best. Also, the food in the restaurant is very good if somewhat inconsistent.

The rooms, apart from looking very Ikea, are comfortable enough (beds comfy, shower comfy, tho as usual not enough space for your shampoos etc within the shower area) except that the lights make noises for a while after switching them on or off. Really annoying, especially when you need to work.
Wifi took a good few hours to get started on first day. That was a glitch and after that is was fine but they should have situations like that backed up and sorted since there are business travelers who chose a hotel for these things, like me.

I had stayed here a year ago and all was quite alright then. Nothing special but alright and a good location. I noticed that almost all art works were the same tho and hadn't changed at all. I wonder if there has been a change in management or in strategy...?

Anyway, side-leaning glasses and Ikea funkyness do not make up for cheapness.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank MyrVan
FrontOfHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, 14 October 2012
Dear “MyrVan”,

Thank you very much sharing your honest and open feedback regarding your last stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. We appreciate that you have taken the time to share your impressions with us and comments like yours are handled with care. One of the major purposes of online reviews is to highlight areas for improvement and with your review you are helping us to optimize our services and quality.

First of all I would like to sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced due to loss of your IPod and moreover the service you received. This is a very delicate situation and I am truly saddened how your request got handled. As I would like to follow up on your case properly I kindly ask you to contact me at your earliest convenience at katharina.grafl@lemeridien.com so we may learn details of your room number. Our main concern is certainly your statement and your trust in our company.

Generally spoken we do select all our staff members very carefully and all found goods must be handed in immediately to the responsible supervisor or manager. All lost and found is stored for one year at our office to ensure we can hand it back as soon as possible to the legal owner. Daily bag and locker checks are done to make sure that such a situation can’t happen but it unfortunately happened to you and I would like to try my best to find an acceptable solution for you.

What makes me even sadder is the fact that you have been staying with us already twice and I am very sorry that we could not provide you the service you expected due to previous experiences. Friendliness is surely a key factor but it doesn’t help at all if there is no effective and attentive service. I can understand your disappointment and I forwarded your comments already to our head of departments to assure that we will implement another training for all of our associates to guarantee that all of them can handle guest feedback and follow it up appropriately.

Your comfort is very important to us and I am happy that you could enjoy at least your room. Thank you again for mentioning the clicking noise and I would like to investigate on this as well so I do hope you will contact me at my above mentioned email address as I can learn your room details.

As I can read also from your feedback you are interested in art works and if you are planning to maybe return one more time at our hotel, I would be delighted to offer you a short tour through our artist’s space where the displayed art is changing several times a year. Our current exhibition is featuring Anne Mann who is dedicated to “sloppy impressionism” and you can literally feel the raw energy of her brush strokes.

“MyrVan”, once again I sincerely apologize for the disappointing experience you had with your previous email. I hope we might get the chance to make up this experience at least a little bit. I look forward to hearing from you soon and I rest on your disposal for any kind of request.

Guest Relations Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (362)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 October 2012

the location of this hotel is absolutely perfect, it is central to the ringastrausse (the central township circle) and within walking distance to all the palaces, museums and a wonderful food market, the naschmarkt.
furthermore the design of this hotel is beautiful and the concierge extremely helpful.
they were also kind enough to upgrade us to a deluxe room which made the experience all the more wonderful. all starwood hotels are great- but this experience was far above par.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Dear “Nicole M”,

Thank you very much for sharing such a great review with us on Tripadvisor. It makes us very proud to hear that your stay was not only very good but above your expectations.

The concept of the Le Méridien Vienna was based on tradition and modernity so we are representing the “Ringstrassen Hotel” of the 21st century. But what would be all that luxurious ambience without our staff members? They are the ones who are the heart and soul of this hotel and we are happy to hear that you could feel our passion for you as a guest.

We would be delighted to host you many more times…so I hope to see you next time at your “home away from home”!!!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Our first visit to Vienna was even more special due to the fabulous Le Meridien Vienna Hotel.
The room was beautiful, modern and comfortable. The amenities included an iron and hair dryer and the complementary mini-bar (non-alcoholic) was especially welcomed. The staff couldn't have been more professional and accomidating. On our next trip to Vienna, we will definately stay at the Le Meridien and reccomend it to all our friends.

Cynthia and Martin Czelder

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
FrontOfHouse, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Dear Cynthia and Martin,

Thank you very much for your amazing feedback about your last stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. Every day we are trying to go not only one but maybe two or three little extra miles for our guests and it is absolutely great to hear that we could contribute with our services to your fantastic experience in Vienna. Isn’t it lovely to find after a long sightseeing day some refreshments in your room? Your comments are proofing that our daily efforts are more than appreciated by our guest!

If I could assist you anyhow with a further reservation or any requests, I would be pleased to help you and we would be happy to welcome you soon back at your “home away from home”.

Best regards from Vienna,

Wetherby, West Yorks
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I have stayed here twice in the past 12 months, each time on business, and I do nor know how much it costs. Centrally located close to the Opera house, the rooms are spacious with walk in shower room and bath and impeccably clean with good facilities and plasma screen tv. Staff are very helpful and friendly and food is very high quality. Well equipped gym.

Room Tip: No traffic noise, even on lower floors, as set back from main road.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve P
Dear “Steve P”,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback about the Le Méridien Vienna. It is great to have you back already twice at our hotel and we hope that your business will bring you back many more times at our hotel :-)!

We are happy that the hotel and its amenities are up to your satisfaction but your comments about our associates are even more important to us. Booking a high class hotel you are definitely expecting a certain kind of standard and luxury but it is the staff which makes a stay to an amazing experience.

If there is anything I can do for you or for one of your next stays please do not hesitate to contact me any time via Katharina.grafl@lemeridien.com. I rest on your disposal and would be happy to hear from you soon.

Kind regards,

Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 27 September 2012

If expect to stay in a nice typical Viennese hotel – this is not the place. The style of the hotel is modern, but pretentious.
They put some aroma it the hotel which I find nauseating. The bathroom doors are from transparent glass, just next to the bed. No privacy while using the bathroom.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Maya G
Dear “aya G”,

Thank you very much for sharing your impressions regarding your last stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. Our hotel is indeed off the “classic” Viennese style as we are representing the 21st century. We are trying to create an inspiring atmosphere and our guests are surely surrounded by many artsy elements. Nonetheless we never want to lose the warmth and passion for our guests and I am very sorry to hear that you did not feel as comfortable as we would have wished it for you.

The brand Le Méridien put a lot of efforts into its identity and our signature scent was created to make our guests feel home all around the world. It was especially blended by the famous French perfumery “Le Labo” and has a high recognition value. It is truly a pity that you do not like that scent…

Our rooms were designed with an open concept and the bathroom should have been an included element. I apologize that the transparent glass was not to your comfort. We do have other room designs as well and I would gladly note your request for your next booking.

Once again please accept my sincerest apologies the inconveniences you experienced. We all would appreciate the chance to welcome you back at our hotel or at one of our other two Starwood properties in Vienna which may meet your expectations of a classic Viennese hotel better.

Please do not hesitate to contact me any time via katharina.grafl@lemeridien.com for any inquiries. I rest on your disposal and my best whishes from Vienna.

Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Very beautiful, elegant and clean modern hotel at the ring. Near to all the attractions and shopping streets. Spacious rooms and well designed bathroom, very good room service.

Price was good too taking the season on consideration.

i will definitely go back.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a street view, but get one in higher floors, there is a club next door :)
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear “3asim”,

Thank you so much for your great review regarding your last stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. It was our pleasure to host you and would be very happy to welcome you soon back.

We are happy to hear that the room and its amenities were to your comfort. Please email me at katharina.grafl@lermeridien.com prior your next stay so that I can make sure that we are all ready for your arrival.

Graz, Austria
Reviewed 24 September 2012

A very good location at the city center, everything is in a walking distance. The staff were all friendly and nice. The room consists of everything you need, but it was not cleaned properly. My friend did not like the bed there as it was too soft. The choices of breakfast were pretty large, but almost the same every day. The staff at the restaurant made a mistake. There was a morning that I had early appointment. So, I went down for breakfast alone, while my friend was still sleeping. I told a staff at the front of breakfast room that my friend will come later. I came back at 10, asking a different staff at the same place if my friend was there. He said yes, but my friend was still in the room without having breakfast! We did not manage to get down on time to ask for her breakfast though.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Dear “-i-Y-i-A”,

Thank you very much for your review regarding your last stay at the Le Méridien Vienna. Our hotel has indeed a great location but your good impression of our staff is even more important to us.

Nonetheless I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced due to the lack of cleanliness in your room. This situation does definitely not represent our standards and I forwarded your comment already to our housekeeping manager. Furthermore I am sorry to hear that your friend did not feel that comfortable in her bed but I would gladly note your request for your next booking as we can also provide harder mattresses upon request.

Our breakfast was especially created from our LM100 member Jean-Georges Vongerichten to wake up all five senses in the morning. We are certainly trying to not only provide the standard amenities but to have also seasonal extras which are changing regularly. I am sorry that the selection did not meet completely your expectations and we will speak about you input during our next management meeting. Moreover I would like to apologize as well for the wrong information you got regarding your friend.

We do hope that we might get the chance to welcome you one more time at our hotel and we would be delighted to host you. If there is anything I can do for you or for one of your next bookings please do not hesitate to contact me. I rest on your disposal and best regards,