“Unique Style”

Ranked #81 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Kihei
“Unique Style”
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We stayed at another 5 star hotel in Vienna at the beginning of our trip. We had to catch our plane here to leave Europe so decided to stay a little closer to the sights we missed and try this unique hotel. It is definitely one of kind with great local art and unexpected extras. The hotel is well staffed and friendly. We got a base level room and loved the way the space was used - especially the glass enclosure of the bathroom. The room was of modest size and a bit shop worn.

Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
frontofhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, 1 October 2010
Dear “Worldtraveler190454”,

It is delightful for us to hear that you had a great stay @ Le Meridien Vienna and that you profit by our special location.

We hope to have you back someday and prove you again that luxury has a soul!

Yours sincerely,

The Le Meridien Vienna TEAM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Arabic first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
New York, NY
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Stayed here with my husband for 3 nights using some SPG points. Service at check-in and throughout our stay was excellent. We were able to get a top floor room overlooking the rooftops of Vienna and it was amazing. Shower was indeed memorable, spacious and with 3 heads. The location is also unbelievable, within walking distance of many sights and very close to the U and trams. Loved the art in the lobby and the sound in the elevators. The free minibar was a nice surprise too, re-stocked daily. Overall, a great and unforgettable experience, can't wait to go back soon!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank polentzeto
frontofhouse, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, 29 September 2010
Dear “polentzeto”,

There is not anything else to say than “Thank you so much for your tremendous feedback and encouraging words”!

For your next stay we would like to recommend you to have a look to the “Artist Space” in the basement – there is much more art to discover for you.

We are so looking forward to welcome you back @ Le Meridien Vienna.

All the best and see you soon,

Vancouver, BC
Reviewed 13 June 2010

My wife and I stayed twice in May at the Meridien. The 1st time was for 4 nights and the 2nd time was just for 1 night. Upon arrival at the airport, we usually took the CAT and then a taxi to the hotel. The taxi would only be around 5 or so minutes.

We were warmly greeted upon arrival both times. As a SPG Platinum, this hotel had excellent Platinum recognition. We were upgraded to a huge corner suite the 1st stay and a normal suite the 2nd stay. The hotel is definitely modern and trendy. The location is superb. We could have stayed at the Bristol but chose the Meridien as a modern hotel. It almost had a "W" feel to it. The Bristol saves about 1 block of walking but the Meridien is definitely within walking distance to 95% of touristy sites.

To start off, we encountered excellent service throughout. From check-in to the bellboy and concierge, it was excellent. The corner suite we received was massive and a had freakishly high ceiling. The sitting area was cavernous and had a separate powder room. The bedroom was a very good size with a very large area for the bathroom. Interestingly enough, we found the sink area to be quite small. And, there didn't seem to be a way to plug the sink - although I didn't ask the front desk whether it was possible. The furnishings are very modern with a huge LCD TV dominating the sitting area. There was a separate working desk, table with chairs, and sofas with a coffee table. There were little artistic touches all over the room. For internet, there was no RJ45 cable provided so, luckily, I had brought one. There is a "free" option for internet at a slower speed, which I found surprising for a luxury hotel in Europe. The high speed, paid option was only 10 EUR/day - excellent for Europe. Of course, no complaints on the free minibar.

For the bedroom, no complaints there. We did find the pillows a little too soft and the comforter a little thin and got extras without any issues. We LOVED the shower. This is completely enclosed but the shower stall had a generous amount of room - not those semi-circular things in other hotels. In the powder room, I must say that I was surprised that there was no hook to hang up the towels. We had to compensate by using a hangar off the window handle. There were separate A/C units for the sitting area and bedroom so cooling the rooms was quite efficient.

On my 2nd stay at a regular suite, it was a touch smaller. It was a large rectangle shape with a swivelling LCD TV separating the sitting area from the bedroom. Nonetheless, I found there was more than adequate space and, more importantly, the bathrooms were almost identical. There was still a powder room by the entrance which had a hangar for towels. One big difference was that there was a single A/C unit for the entire room. This single unit was under-powered and struggled to cool the room down. Other than that, there were no problems with the room.

The lobby has a really funky feel to it and there was music in the elevators all the time. The morning had sounds of water, afternoon of the forest, and evening of chatter. There is a small cafe just to the side of the elevators which is really convenient if you just want coffees and some light pastries. We got great recommendations for cafes the 1st night and went to Mozart Cafe. We did ask about a drop-off laundry service and was recommended Kaiser on Krugerstrasse. Unfortunately, nobody spoke English at the laundromat and I mistook a return time of Wednesday for 3 pm. So, there was delay of 2 days. I wouldn't have used this place if I understood that. Going online, I found another place within the Ring - Gottschalk Eva at Singerstrasse 22. Decent prices and same day, drop-off service. Perfect! For a supermarket, there is a Billa in the basement of the Ringstrassen Galerien - the shopping arcade connected to the Bristol.

There was one glitch. For my 1st stay, I needed to combine 2 reservations. At check-in that was done for me. However, for some reason, my room cards were only programmed to the end of my 1st booking. So, I had to go down to front desk to get it updated. Service was friendly but I thought this shouldn't have happened.

Overall, even with the small glitches, I was quite pleased with my stays and the hotel. I'd definitely return for a future trip.

1 Thank Braindrain
LMV1010, Guest Relations Manager at Le Meridien Vienna, responded to this review, 18 June 2010
Dear Braindrain,

I would like to thank you for posting on Tripadvisor.

First of all I am happy to read your really detailed review. It seems like I am with you on tour through out the hotel. You are describing every single touch of the hotel, like the different sound of the elevators during the day time and the art in the lobby as well in the rooms.

It is great to have such loyal customers staying with us like you, as a Platinum member you receive the best available upgrade – which you actually did. It was our pleasure to host you in our property.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience you had with regards to your key – yes, you are right it should be programmed through the whole duration of your stay.

Once again I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to provide us with your great feedback. I hope we will meet up at your next visit to our lovely hotel.

Best regards from Vienna…
…Denise Schmidt

Guest Relations
Washington DC
Reviewed 5 June 2010

This is a boutique hotel run by a major chain: expect excellent service and a hotel with a VERY creative design. The free mini-bar is an added bonus.

The lobby has a fleet of limos that can take you to the airport for a honest price even in the middle of the night.

This my hotel of choice when staying in Vienna for a day or two. Conveniently located near the centre and the metro system, but also less than 20 mins from the airport.

I especially like the relaxed atmosphere, which makes me forget that I am on a business trip.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank nymphaeus
Dear Nymphaeus,

Thank you for posting your review at Tripadvisor.

The provided limousine service is a nice goody which most of our guests highly appreciate, and as you said for an honest price.

I really feel happy when I read, that you are able to relax at the hotel from your business and you not feel like a business man. We always try to get everything as comfortable as possible for our guests.

Once again I would like to thank you for the time you have taken to post your review on Tripadvisor – I hope I will personally meet you next time at our lovely property.

Best regards from Vienna…
…Denise Schmidt

Guest Relations
Odessa, Ukraine
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,547 helpful votes
Reviewed 4 June 2010

We arrived on a Friday afternoon and we were told that our room (Suite upgrade due to SPG Platinum membership) wasn't ready which wasn't a problem since anyway we wanted to start sightseeing straight away. The hotel is chique and modern, prefectly located at the Ring to do most of the sightseeing walking.

Due to very bad weather we rented a car (the concierge helped us to get a Smart which wasn't easy on a weekend).

The room was huge, with separate toilet, very modern bathroom. Minibar and internet were included which is a nice feature. Breakfast is expensive but anyway you should visit a coffeehouse instead.

2 Thank HONkiev
Dear “HONkiev”,

Le Meridien Vienna really appreciates your great comment. Thank you!

We will forward your compliments to our concierge team, which will give them a good motivation.

Thank you as well for honoring the upgrade, even you are a Platinum Member and of course eligible for that.

Hope to see you again in our property!

All the best,

London
Reviewed 26 May 2010

We had the most wonderful stay at the Le Meridien. I'd been in touch before our trip with Janssen Pires from the hotel management and had informed Le Meridien that it was my husband's birthday. We arrived to find we had been upgraded to a fantastic room on the seventh floor, with a large terrace overlooking the city rooftops (the hotel had eight floors) and a bottle of champagne and fruit waiting for us in the room. The room was massive with a king-size bed, lovely fluffy pillows and the bathroom was amazing, with a huge walk-in jet shower and separate bathtub more than big enough for two. Many reviews on here have commented on how the jet showers can cause problems with flooding the bathroom - the hotel I believe is in the process of adding shower doors to combat this problem so, if you're worried, do as we did and ask for a bathroom where the shower has a door already: we had no problems whatsoever with any water flooding out of the shower, the bathroom floor stayed completely dry and the shower was still large enough for three people!

The room had lots of amenities - iron, hairdryer, slippers, robes, huge television, loungers and tables on our terrace if we wanted to sit out. There were several lovely little touches like chocolates on the pillows and the bed turned down each night, together with a little card with the weather forecast for the next day noted on it. We also received a voucher for cappuccinos for two at the hotel's cafe which made for a nice breakfast one morning (we were on a room-only basis - the breakfast at 29 euros a head seemed rather expensive to us when there are so many wonderful cafes in Vienna). There were complimentary bowls of apples and water jugs in the foyer and every evening there was a selection of canapes laid out near the restaurant to tempt people in (they didn't seem to mind if you ate a canape and didn't book at the restaurant, although we had dinner there one night after a concert as it was convenient). The bar seems to be a rather hip venue - it was packed on the Friday evening we were there and the drinks weren't too horrendously expensive, given it's a hotel bar (and they were very generous with the booze in my husband's Long Island Iced Tea). The decor is very cool with lots of coloured lights and lamps above the bar where the bulbs are in fact holograms!

The concierge and front of house staff were impeccable and graciously dealt with my many queries, such as asking them to find out the departure time of our flight home, asking the hotel to deal with the confirmation / cancellation of several restaurant reservations I'd made before leaving the UK, taking care of our luggage when we arrived before our room was ready (we entered the room to find our luggage delivered and waiting in there for us) and looking up whether places of interest we wanted to visit were open on the Monday we stayed which was a public holiday. They were always courteous and helpful.

Vienna made for a fantastic city break - the city is just stunning and we can't wait to return. As classical music lovers we attended concerts at both the Musikverein and the State Opera (the opera is opposite the hotel and the Musikverein only about a 7 minute walk) which we would highly recommend if it's your thing. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Meridien to anyone wanting a first-class stay in this fabulous city. Of course it might not be to everyone's taste as the decor is very clean and it's a very trendy hotel, rather than the more traditional opulence of somewhere like the Bristol or Imperial. However, we loved this and were more than happy to soak up the city's grand atmosphere by day and return to somewhere cool and trendy in the evenings.

Dear “LoulouRay”,

Thank you very much for you lovely comment.
It will be our pleasure to host you again.
The whole team says thank you, this is were the employee gets the motivation.

With best regards

Juergen Engelmann
Guest Relation
Reviewed 23 May 2010

The hotel is very modern and chic, is in a great location, has very comfortable beds, and a pool and hot tub in the basement.

The rest of my review isn't as positive.

Upon check-in my room was 25C and humid (despite it being about 15C outside). I turned the AC down to 19C and started getting settled in. After about 30 minutes the room hadn't cooled off at all and the air coming out of the AC wasn't noticeably cooler than ambient.

Long story short- after 4 seperate calls asking for a new room over a 6 hour period, 3 technicians coming and 'fixing' the problem, the manager came up and snidely told me the AC works fine, I'm just an American and have unrealistic expectations for European climate controls. And oh by the way they were now sold out and couldn't give me a different room.

The AC never worked in that room. Luckily I asked it they had a fan (given that it was chilly out) and I put it in the window to cool the room down at night.

Other complaints would be that they have taken form over function: the vessel sink makes it difficult when living from a shaving bag, the lighting in the room pops and clicks (from expansion and contraction) for about 30 minutes after being switched on or off, etc.

My final suggestion would be to skip the "nice breakfast" at the restaurant- it's obscenely expensive. Go a few blocks down the road to Café Schwarzenberg for an excellent breakfast at a fraction of the price.

Even as SPG Gold I'll be avoiding Starwood in Europe from now on...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank ourback
Dear “ourback”,

Many thanks for your honest comment.
I’m really sorry for the handling with your room/AC. Due to the booking situation (fully booked) we were not able to move you to another room. Therefore we had to sent the technician so often to your room, otherwise definitely we would have moved you to another room. Please accept my sincerest apologize and you can be sure that we will take your comment seriously.
I will discuss your comment with the hotel management and we will retrain all areas to avoid such a situation in the future.

It is really worse for me to see, that it seamed we lost you as a customer.
I would really appreciate if you can give us a second chance to show you that is was not our real standard, which you received.

Please contact me for your next booking.

With best regards