“good hotel in excellent location...with problems”
Review of Hotel Ambassador

Hotel Ambassador
Ranked #160 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 11 July 2011

This hotel has some awesome things about it- the location on karntnerstrausse close to stephansplatz in unbeatable. the overall decor and ambience is classic vienna, 4 star plus. our first impression of their service was fantastic since they agreed to refund one nights booking since some members of our group could not travel due to an emergency.

Things got bad at the hotel. firstly, there is heavy construction going on in the hotel and in almost all the surrounding buildings!!! So forget about great views. There is unbearable noise due to the work that starts in the morning and goes on till late afternoon. on my arrival the original room I had booked was still occupied, so they gave me a tiny room. I did not mind because I had arrived earlier than check in time. However, when I requested they include the breakfast within the room charge as a complimentary gesture, they refused! wifi did not work.

Yet, I cant say the staff were not polite, yet not very friendly...just OK.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank andrews_sameer

Reviewed 23 June 2011

The sickening stink of nicotine smoke fills the air immediately after stepping out of your hotel room. The entrance to the rooms looks out onto an open area where smokers sit, allowing the air to become stale.
Still cannot believe that in 2011 and in Europe, a hotel of this calibre would permit smoking in communal areas - and in its reception and bar area - dreadful, dangerous and just dirty.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank odeyw
Reviewed 16 June 2011

This hotel's location is perfect for checking out central sites in Vienna. It is very close to St Stephen's Cathedral, and right on a main street that offers many of the big cafes and shopping. I agree with other reviewers though, in that the staff could have been more helpful, though I found themn polite enough. Also, we couldn't get the wireless internet working in our room (not sure why - never had such a problem in several other countries and we are experienced travellers) and they didn't seem so concerned with this.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Currently on our second day of 4 here and after coming from the Savic in Prague, it leaves a lot to be desired as far as reception service is concerned. While it may be unfair to make comparisons between cities, it's a pretty stark reminder of how friendliness and going out of you way to be helpful contrasts with staff who would rather ignore you.

The room is fantastic but the downsides (apart from reception) are noisy air conditioning, the smell of cigarettes and more particularly, cigars from the guy who seems to spend his whole day in the first floor bar area, and no tea & coffee making facilities.

The cost of breakfast at 25 euros is very expensive and we haven't even considered it, or eating in house at all. There's a great little supermarket about 50 meters from the hotel where you can buy anything from baguettes for lunch at 3.50 euros or stock up on Heineken at less than 7 euro for 6 half litre bottles. Clear out the mini bar fridge first.

It's been mentioned by a few respondents here that the cost of wifi is extortionate. It must be a very recent innovation but we're getting free access (I hope) through Freewave, which is great.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Meinhandy
Reviewed 28 May 2011

Excellent location between Stephansplatz and Opera on a stretch of road closed to traffic filled with caffee's and stores. Close to two Underground stations. You cannot do better than this in Vienna. Hotel is not a 5-star, it is 4. Staff are mostly polite and helpful (there are always exceptions). Breakfast is good but somewhat expensive (25 euros per sperson). There is construction across the street on both sides of the building but they are quiet during resting hours. Yes, I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 May 2011

My room was huge, with a great tub and the most spectacular chandelier (made by the people who made them for the Habsburgs, according to lonely planet ... which isn't always right).
The service, unfortunately, wasn't so great, whilst the staff were polite enough when I got their attention, getting their attention was an effort, I had to specifically ask for the most basic things - of course I want my bags sent up, or at least handed over, after I've left them at reception because my room isn't ready; and of course I need someone to show me how to use the room key, noone has seen a manual room key in over a decade!
The location was the best in the city - walking distance from all of central Vienna's attractions and right in the middle of the shopping district. A taxi to Meidling station was 15EUR; I was charged 30 from Westbahnhof, I think the driver took me in circles becasue Westbahnhof is closer on the map.
The restuarant, lauded by both the room guide and lonely planet, did have great food and had much better service than the hotel, but didn't seem like a happening place because the only other people there on a Sunday night were wearing jeans and hoodies!
I can't complain too much about anything though, because I paid, via expedia, only 176AUD/nt (excluding breakfast and, oddly for europe, wifi) - I didn't do much research on Vienna hotels, but that's a bargain for such a nice room anywhere in Europe!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank empress_cherry
Reviewed 29 April 2011

I was not particularly thrilled with our stay. The hotel has a great location. The rooms are spacious (especially for European standards).
The hotel has a very strong smell of cigarets and smells old but nothing that would make your clothes smell, but I could definitely smell it when walking out of our room.
While we were there (easter weekend) the hotel was oddly empty, or it felt like it was empty.
The staff is ok, they won't go above or beyond to be nice, they do their job well, but I felt like it lacked some personality and enthusiam. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't looking for a band and cheerleaders outside but several times I said "Hello" and it was ignored by the front desk.
I was outraged with the price of internet - they do not have their own network and so they sell t-mobiles cards for $18 euros/24 hours. We were on a Euro Tour and many hotels have free internet now, at least in the lobby. I was not particularly happy to spend $54 euros in 2 1/2 days to use the internet. If you are like me, you use the internet a lot of find restaurants and things to do (TRIPADVISOR) get ready to spend that. They have a business center which was in the verrry back of the hotel, it's not convenient at all plus after 20 min of using it, they called and asked that we bring the key back because another guest wanted to us it. So don't even bother using it.
Overall, the location beats the negatives of this place and I would stay there again. Also, there's a really cool supermarket just 2 min away, that I found to be very convenient. They have all the chocolate and little snacks to bring home. Plus awesome breakfast sandwiches and I got to meet a couple locals.

There was MAJOR construction going on, and we were awaken by jackhammers at 6am everyday, I was so tired of walking around that it didn't bother me, but my friends couldn't sleep and when we requested to be moved (we had 2 rooms), they kept telling us that they were going to move us but they never did. We didn't feel like arguing so we gave up.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends