“Great hotel, centrally located”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Ambassador

Hotel Ambassador
Ranked #151 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Burke, Virginia
“Great hotel, centrally located”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2012

The hotel is very centrally located. We had two rooms and when we checked in found out that they were adjoining. But the door between the two rooms would not open. This was efficiently fixed by a hotel employee. The rooms were beautiful. One room had a little sitting area with a tv and doors that closed off the bedroom. The other room was one big room. Both had beautiful chandeliers in them. This is the place I would stay in again if I ever go back to Vienna. We left Vienna for Prague and stayed at a different hotel chain in Prague. If I had known how nice the Ambassador was, I would have stayed at the Ambassador in Prague.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank JennaW703

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2012

First, the location. The hotel is well-situated among tourist sites like the Opera House and Stephansdom, along a main shopping drag. The entrance on Kartner Strasse has a bit of the Times Square feel in terms of crowds and intensity (minus the occassional sketchiness of Times Square); the back entrance is much calmer - there's a nice fountain, and what looks like a bunch of taxis on break. There is no shortage of great restaurants within a ten minute walking radius.

Second, the hotel and the room. The atmosphere is great - it appears to be two buildings that have been merged into one...and the entire hotel has a great old-timey feel. We were on the second floor, and there was a lovely atrium overlooking the first floor restaurant and lounge space. Not that the space seemed to ever get loud or rowdy, but we were happy that we were in the "second" part of the building, in Room 225. The room was beautiful, with a pre-war feel to the room (NYC real-estate people: you know what I'm talking about). The room was huge by European standards, and actually quite comfortable by American standards. There was a real bathroom, with an actual bathtub/shower with real shower curtain (as opposed to the weird half-door that seems so popular in Europe), so there wasn't shower spray all over the floor at the end of the shower. Dual sinks. All good stuff.

The only drawback was that the walls seemed to be pretty thin. While the windows were really good at keeping out the street noise (as our windows did face the busy street), when we went to sleep, we were disappointed to discover that the walls were not as effectively soundproof. There must've been a Spanish family in the neighboring room, as I was actually able to make out enough to tell that they were speaking Spanish. They weren't being excessively loud or anything, because we could also tell that they were just at a normal level of end-of-vacation-day excitement.

Overall, a really great hotel - highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mctang
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

Let me tell you my story with this 5 star hotel as they claim:-

I have made a booking through booking.com for two apartments for 3 nights and paid all the expenses in advance. When I checked out from the hotel, there was a car park charges. I given the front office lady my visa card to take the charges. I left the hotel and flew back home. Next day I have recieved an email from the hotel saying that there was some damage in the room which had to be cleaned, therefore we have charged your visa card 500EUR. We thank you for staying with us.

I called the hotel to get an explnation under which circumstances you charged 500EUR, they said when you left the housekeeping informed them about that and thus, they had to charge 500EUR for the extra cleaning.

When I asked them why I was not informed while standing there, they said that they had no housekeeping at that time free to check the room.

Is this an appropriate action? Is this the way this hotel treat guest who give their credit cards? where is the security on this hotel. Shouldnt be there atleast an authorization or a premission from the guest that some room are damage with biro pen and it will cost this amout of money.

If I was informed while standing, I would definetly do something, I would definetly take an action that will satisfy both of us to comeup with agreement. On what basis the front office lady allowed herslef and violated the terms of visa conditions to charge my visa 500EUR even am not there?

They should visit other hotels around the world and learn the ethics of customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Mohamed A
Bryn Mawr
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2012

I loved the location and history of this hotel. I found the personnel at the desk in the lobby very helpful and friendly, the chef for lunch and dinner in the dining room was superb, the dining room service was normal, which in Vienna usually means courteous and competent. So my basic experience in most ways was very good.
But I am sorry to say that I was not only disappointed by the behavior of the staff in the breakfast room, I was surprised at how rude, disinterested and unfriendly they were, given that the Ambassador rates itself as a 5 star hotel, and has a building with some grandeur. The breakfast waiters either didn't understand what their job was, or they had no interest in doing it. I have the feeling that "Quality control" is a concept no one ever explained to them.
I went to breakfast one morning at 10 AM, knowing they stopped "serving" at 11 AM, choosing the room with the buffet food table in it to make it easier for my elderly relative (who hadn't yet arrived) to carry food to the table. ONE HOUR before closing time ALL the tables in that room had already been stripped bare, with the top tablecloth removed, leaving only a stained and used undercloth on the table. ( No waiter came to put a fresh tablecloth on my table.)
And not one of the 3 or 4 waiters who were moving through the two adjoining breakfast rooms ever came to me to ask whether I wanted coffee or tea, one of their very few obligations other than setting and clearing the tables since breakfast is a self-service buffet. After about 10 minutes of being ignored by the waiters constantly walking by me, (at that time there were only a few other people in the room, so I wasn't exactly hard to see), I realized I had to ask one of them to bring coffee and silverware. When the carafe of coffee arrived, I had to ask for a cup and saucer for the coffee. There was no cream, I had to ask for it. There was no sugar either, so I got up and looked until I found where the sugar containers were kept to save time and annoyance. You can decide for yourself whether this scenario suggests incompetence or negligence on the part of the waiter. Either way, In a real 5-star hotel this lack of just plain normal service is unthinkable.
When my relative arrived for breakfast at 10:15, she asked for silverware and a napkin, and when the waiter brought it, he slammed it all down in one heap and left her to set the table herself without a word. (A simple question from the waiter before he ran away "Would you like coffee or tea?", would have been expected at the least, don't you agree?) Even in a local diner, one would expect this, even in the countryside.
We served ourselves from the very nice selection of food offered, while at the same time around us the staff started to strip the food from the buffet table, and brought out the vacuum cleaner and parked it. Such an aesthetic vision for the people eating......
During that entire last hour of "service" in the breakfast buffet, we guests were made to feel that we were a total nuisance to the staff, who just wanted all of us out of there. (Definitely not 5-star hotel level normal relations to their clients.)

Early in our stay, the maid who cleaned the room knocked on our door loud and long at 8:am, waking us from a sound sleep. (She wanted to clean the room.) I have searched my memory of 45 years of travel, and cannot remember ever being awakened at 8 AM by the maid in any hotel. Here we go again; the maid either had no idea that it was not correct for her to select and enforce the time when a hotel guest awakens, or didn't care if they liked it or not.
Using the hotel card "do not enter" stopped that from happening again, but on another afternoon, the same maid put the key in the lock and entered our room without knocking or asking our permission to enter. My relative had just come out of the shower and was starting to dress. Please, Hotel Ambassador owners, wake up and improve the level of competence in the service staff in this grand old hotel.
Upon returning home, I have read too many reviews similar to mine in both in English and German by other discerning guests who had similar kinds of negative service experiences in your hotel this year, last year........ Had I read the Ambassador reviews before going to Vienna, I probably would have chosen another centrally located lovely old hotel without these difficulties.
PS: Please consider replacing the shower curtains with glass-even with constant bleaching, curtains mold.

Room Tip: Air conditioner noise: use the lowest setting when you need quiet, or need to sleep (generally, th...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pianojoy
Ontario Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

We stayed 4 nights and loved the location. The rooms are large and very clean. Beds are very comfortable with AC. Front desk staff very helpful. We regret staying at another place our last night before returning to Canada . Would recommend anytime the ambassador hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank OntarioCanadaJ
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

Excellent location in walking distance of main attractions and restaurants. Very close to subway station as well. The room was spacious and clean. One downside was the noise level from other rooms. It's an old building and you can easily hear your neighbours. Didn't eat at the hotel. For breakfast you can find small local cafe's and a startbucks close by.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the square behind the hotel are quiter than rooms facing the main (walking) street
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Jedburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

We stayed at the Ambassador in August 2012 and had a marvellous holiday.
The room was grand and spacious (room 105) with three large windows overlooking the spectacular street below. We got a good deal through Expedia with no meals. We ate out - breakfast at any one of a dozen locations, within 5 minutes, was approx 5-8 euros a piece. There is a wonderful seclection of places to eat and Vienna was not expensive - approx 15-25 euros for a nice meal.
Thoroughly recommended hotel and city.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple