“A charming hotel with some feeling of luxury for your vacations”
Review of Hotel Ambassador

Hotel Ambassador
Ranked #152 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Paris, France
“A charming hotel with some feeling of luxury for your vacations”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

There are two kinds of hotels: the international chains and the family-run hotels. I prefer the first category for my business trips. They might be impersonal and dull, they might be the same everywhere, but they are efficient and you know what to expect.

Those quality become flaws when it comes to vacations. When I visit for pleasure, I prefer something more authentic, something that reflects the country I'm in.

The ambassador hotel offers exactly that. It's a somewhat high end hotel with the feeling that it's family run. The rooms are large, decorated in a historical style, but very clean and with all the modern comfort. You'll find the essential (TV, minibar, hair dryer) but not the superfluous (no kettle alas or coffee machine). But you'll find yourself in Vienna, not in some generic international city.

What's more, you're at the very heart of Vienna, ideally located between Stephansdom and the opera, a 5 minute walk from either U-Bahn stations. You're along Kärntnerstrasse, the main pedestrian street. If the main entrance is in Neuermarkt, there's a side entrance in Kärntnerstrasse.

Plus, you have this charming feeling that they are trying to be a palace, but not exactly succeeding in it. I mean it in a good way. The staff is charming, smiling and mainly efficient, but it's touching how it's sometimes only so-so.

And there's an old time touch: they still have keys that you give to the reception when you're going out. It reminds me when I was a kid, before magnetic cards and other electronic devices. I like that.

You're at the heart of the city which means that you'll have to expect some noise. If people in the neighbouring rooms talk a bit too loud, you'll be able to perfectly follow their conversations. And Neuermakt is quite animated so you might hear some music coming from it. But we never had problems finding sleep (maybe because we were tired from visiting all the sightseeings).

Breakfast is very good, but also very expensive at 25€ per person (half price for children). I recommend you take it elsewhere, for there are numerous alternatives in the neighbourhood. Oberlaa Konditorei is around the corner and Café Sacher a 2 minute walk away. And Kärntnerstrasse of full of Konditorei (beware that most of them only open at 10:00 on Sundays).

That said, the price of the rooms are very reasonable, considering the location and the comfort level. It's a good 4-star hotel.

To sum it up, a very good hotel for your vacations, with very attractive pricing compared to the competition.

Room Tip: We had to walk some steps to reach our room (elevator + stairs). If you have a stroller or something...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank PeterLLama

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I stayed here for two nights and it was a pleasant stay! The Ambassador is an imposing building in a small square. It is next to the infamous Cafe Sacher and if you are chocolate Sacher torte fan, you will be delighted!
Car park is off site at a parking garage nearby. 5 min walk away, the staff were all polite and helpful with luggage and any questions I had. One of them recommended a great local restaurant around the corner and I had the best seafood meal there.
My room was 208 or 207 (I forget) and I had a view of the square. Noise was not too much of an issue. The weather was cold and overcast for August but I still used the air on. There was a fridge which was handy and they had good selection of toiletries and little extras such as slippers and robes. They also had a nice paperbag which was sturdy and handy if you ended an extra carry bag on check out. What I loved are all the beautiful chandeliers in the main reception, breakfast room and bar sitting area. I had a chandelier in my room too! Bed was great but pillows are terribly soft and useless. I have found this in all the European hotels I have stayed in so if you have spinal or neck problems I suggest bring you own pillow.
Breakfast was a phenomenal choice of German breads, smoked/cured meats and fish that Germans like for breakfast, cereals, seeds, fresh and dried fruit, yoghurts, fresh fruits, great freshly poached/scrambled eggs, and fresh honeycomb Honey! Amazing! Love the choices.
Location is superb as the side entrance leads out to the main pedestrian drag.
No negatives I can think off, loved the two day stay and would come back for sure. Five stars!

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank groovychickMelbourne
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The only excellent thing this hotel has is the location, service is the worst thing in this place.

When checked in, staff are not dressed well and they came out from the back office with mouth full of food.

Rooms are large however old furniture but well maintained, In the room, I ordered an extra bed for my kid, it took almost 2 hrs to get it and 5 phone calls, each time the answer.... It's on the way.

From the room to call Front Office or Housekeeping, a minimum is 15 rings to get an answer, like they are waiting for you to close the line.

I am still in the hotel and I can confirm that the service in this hotel dose not exceed 3 star.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Doha_traver
HotelAmbassadorWien, Manager at Hotel Ambassador, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear doha_traver,

Thank you for taking the time to review your current stay at the Ambassador Hotel Vienna.

We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you are experiencing. This situation does not represent our quality standards and we will follow up this incident properly.

Unfortunately, we can't link a guest name or room number to your nick name. We would like to personally get in touch with you and would appreciate a short e-mail with your guest details to marketing@ambassador.at.

Thank you very much.

Spartanburg, South Carolina
Reviewed 28 July 2014

By the time we reached Vienna, we had been traveling for well over a week with a variety of hotel experiences. My friend and I travel frequently and realize that few hotels are perfect. Hotel Ambassador came close.

The location is amazing! We loved being right on the pedestrian area of Karntner Strasse. Only a few sites required transportation; we walked everywhere else. From the moment we arrived, all staff members were gracious! We had a rental car, and over the six days we stayed, we took it out on little excursions. When we checked in, we were told to give them 15 minutes notice before we needed the car because the parking was off-site. Many luxury hotels with valet parking on site request the same amount amount of time, and the delivery times vary drastically. Our car always arrived 10-15 minutes after our request, and we never waited longer than that 15 minute time frame. The bellman, desk staff, waitstaff, and cleaning staff were friendly, helpful and efficient.

Our room was lovely and spacious! We could open the doors to the balcony and enjoy the bustle, but when we closed them, we did not hear a sound. A World Cup party was going on outside our balcony directly below. When we closed the doors, the room was silent! We never heard a neighbor or people in the hall. If you can, request a corner room!

Even in cooler regions, if it's summer, I always try to book hotels with air conditioning. I fully believe in my unique ability to bring a heat wave with me. (I got sunburned in the Scottish highlands...) Vienna got hit with a heat wave the day we arrived. Our room air conditioning was excellent! My friend and I are used to European AC being less effective than our AC in the southern states of the US, with good reason, of course. This AC was superb!!!! The weather cooled down right before we left, and we really enjoyed the breeze from our two sets of French windows/doors! We had the best of both worlds during our stay.

The wi-fi was the best and fastest of our entire trip. The bath was fairly small, but it was well laid out with good water pressure. I also have to admit that I love hotels that provide robes and slippers for use there. I rarely carry these items overseas, and I do love slippers.

We didn't eat at the hotel, but the dining area looked pleasant, and the waitstaff always smiled and spoke to us as we headed for the elevators. I heard a couple in the elevator talking about how it was good. We just never got around to trying it.

My only negative is the smoking in the bar area. This lovely, classic hotel provides a comfortable, attractive lounge area. One evening, we planned to have cocktails before heading out to dinner, but a gentleman was puffing on a cigar, creating more smoke and odor than a cigarette. The layout prevented natural ventilation. We walked outside and had drinks at Medusa before going to dinner. People were smoking outside, but ventilation was good. I do realize there is a difference between US attitude toward smoking and other areas, though. Sadly, this gentleman was there every evening we had time and inclination to get drinks. Oh, well. Bad luck for us.

We loved our experience here! Everything was beautiful, clean and comfortable! I hope to return some day! Although I frequently travel, I rarely spend the time to write a review, but we loved this hotel so much that I felt compelled to share our experience.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank mdavis2
HotelAmbassadorWien, Manager at Hotel Ambassador, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear mdavis2,

Thank you for writing this wonderful review and sharing your experience with other travelers.

We are thrilled by your fantastic feedback and the good rating of our rooms, staff and services. Please rest assured that we will share your lovely words with the entire team.

We are very sorry for your disappointment with our Atriumbar. Smoking is still allowed in our bar, although the restaurant and winter garden are strictly non-smoking area.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you and your friend again when your travel plans bring you back to Vienna.

Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Pleasant entrance welcomes you to the Ambassador. Located in the shopping district this fairly small hotel offers luxury, grand views, an excellent (albeit a tad expensive,) wonderful breakfast. Within minutes of many of Vienna's attractions, close to public transit this hotel has been a treat.

Room Tip: Booked through Expedia for three nights we were able to secure a reasonable rate for this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelAmbassadorWien, Manager at Hotel Ambassador, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Dear Jimmienay,

Thank you very much for choosing the Ambassador Hotel for your stay in Vienna.

We are glad that you enjoyed your time with us and hope you consider the Ambassador again when your travel plans bring you back to the area.

Frodsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Went with friends to celebrate my birthday.
We couldn't have chosen a better hotel for our trip. Set in an attractive square.
It was centrally located and even though Vienna is a very large city, one could walk to most places of interest.
The accommodation was superb, staff very friendly and helpful.
The food was good.
As was the wine.

Room Tip: Our party had three double rooms and all were excellent.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jackmarj2014
HotelAmbassadorWien, Manager at Hotel Ambassador, responded to this review, 17 July 2014
Dear Jackmarj2014,

Thank you for choosing the Ambassador Hotel Vienna to celebrate your birthday.

It is a pleasure to read your fabulous feedback regarding our hotel and restaurant.

We are very happy that we could fulfill your expectations and look forward to having you and your friends as our guests again.

Lucknow, India
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is a sort of heritage structure which everyone may not like but it is neatly kept and well maintained. Front desk staff is extremely polite and helpful. The breakfast is well laid out and sumptuous.

The location is superb as the hotel is located in the main market street.

The room size is good with good bathroom. Normally a balcony is attached to the room but without access to it which may not be permitted.....not sure! The paintings in the alleys are attractive making up a unique ambience!

Individual rooms are not provided with iron board and one has to go up to 3rd floor for the job. Another thing lacking is provision of electric cattle with tea/coffee sachet that cost hardly anything to the hotel but is of immense value for the guest for morning and occasional need for tea and coffee.

Over all an excellent experience !

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear vipul61,

Thank you for reviewing your stay at the Ambassador Hotel Vienna and posting a photo of our front entrance on Neuer Markt.

We are delighted that your stay was an "excellent experience". Your feedback is highly valued as it helps us to improve our services.

It would be a great pleasure to welcoming you again at our property.