“Wonderful”

Hotel SPIESS & SPIESS Appartement-Pension
Ranked #1 of 115 Vienna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Three of us, a couple and a single, stayed for 3 nights. We had a lovely 2 bedroom apartment (NB although called an apartment the kitchen facilities were limited). However, the breakfasts included in the price were wonderful. The price wasn't cheap but we didn't mind paying for quality and convenience. The apartments are located in a quiet street, two metro stops from the centre of the old town - the metro stop is just a short walk along the road. We loved our stay here. Our only complaint would be the difficulty accessing the Wifi from the annex where our rooms were. But as this was a problem we encountered throughout Europe it would be unfair to let this affect my review of Spiess and Spiess.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the apartments in the annex behind the main building. It was very quiet.
1  Thank Rose244
There are newer reviews for Hotel SPIESS & SPIESS Appartement-Pension

Reviewed 23 October 2013

The reviews speak the truth. Arrived here from a very small room in Budapest. Our room was huge with a balcony. So nice to be able to spread out. Great location, excellent breakfast. Vienna is a great city and has a lovely feel to it. I miss it already!

Room Tip: Room 14. Nice balcony.
Reviewed 23 October 2013

This is my second stay in this hotel. I had really good comments in my last review because I genuinely had a good experience with this hotel. But not this time. I got to this hotel at 2:30 pm after a long transatlantic flight. Yet, I was told that my room is not ready and that it will be available in 1 hr. A group of tourists was told the same thing but their wait was only 10-20 minutes. Since I came several minutes before they got there, I have been wondering what that apparent bias was all about. As tired as I was, I waited patiently only to be told that my room is not ready, after about 1 hour. After a negotiation, I was offered another room which apparently has been available but which costs 10 Euros more.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Joel L
SPIESS-Team, Inhaber at Hotel SPIESS & SPIESS Appartement-Pension, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2013

Dear Guest!
First of all thank you very much for providing feedback and taking the effort and the time to write two reviews! Thank you for pointing out also the positive experiences!
I am very sorry to read that you have been disappointed by the check-in experience on arrival.
I would like to apologize to you hereby.
We can assure you that this is not the rule, but a rather rare exception.
We strive to guarantee a CheckIn by 2 pm. On that particular day a string of unfortunate events led to the inconvenient situation - we had departures and arrivals in all our rooms that day - something that happens only rarely.
We will work in our team to assure that such situations will be handled in a more convenient way for the guests.
Nevertheless I hope we can welcome you again in our house!
Best regards,
Jean-Philipp Spieß.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Spiess & Spiess was a wonderful surprise. Our room was large, no no no huge, great views, very clean and quiet. The staff was exceptional, very friendly and helpful with restaurant and things to do suggestions. Being one block from the U-Bahn metro stop made getting around Vienna very easy and convenient. The breakfast was amazing, easily better than anything you'll find in a restaurant - be sure to try the scrambled eggs! They were able to do our laundry at a very fair price. A wealth of good restaurants are right nearby, as is an ATM.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Michael R
Reviewed 9 October 2013

This is truly and exceptional hotel. The breakfasts are as good as you'll get in the best restaurants. The staff is friendly, courteous, helpful and efficient. The room we stayed in was clean, spacious, and comfortable, with a bathroom you would love to have in your own home. The most noteworthy amenity of our room was, by European standards, the BIG shower in the bathroom - what a treat! You get a lot for your money at this hotel, which was VERY reasonably priced. The public underground transit is located a short minute / minute and a half walk right at one end of the street. VERY convenient! I can't think of one negative about this hotel. Excellent place to stay. 5 gold stars for every category rating!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Vernon T
Reviewed 8 October 2013

After reading the reviews on tripadvisor, we were hoping that there would be availability at Spiess & Spiess. All that you read is true. It was a fabulous stay. We had a LARGE room with two single beds, two chairs, a desk, TV, a large outdoor porch with chairs and a table, a large bathroom with a huge tub or shower, and a separate room for the toilet. Everything was modern with white slipcovers. It was perfect and we appreciated not to sit on beds but rather on chairs.

Spiess & Spiess had two beautiful breakfast rooms where tourists enjoyed chatting. We had many choices for breakfast...pastries, Mr. Spiess famous eggs, cheeses, cold cuts, yogurts, fruit salad, coffee etc.

Spiess and Spiess is located 3 metro stops from St. Stephen's Platz. Don't let that scare you away because the metro stop was a 5 minute walk from the B&B. We also enjoyed the VERY nearby restaurants...the greek restaurant and the italian tratorria. Shopping was also great in that area. It had the same store as in the city centre, but less expensive.

While in Vienna we especially enjoyed St. Stephan's, the Matisse exhibit, an organ concert, the free walking tour from the TI, and of course the beauty of the city.

Room Tip: I don't think that you can go wrong with any room you pick.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank SRKT
Reviewed 8 October 2013

There are several reasons this is a very good choice for a place to stay in Vienna. It is conveniently located within 1/2 block of the Rochusgasse U-Bahn stop. There is an excellent Greek restaurant, Irodion, across the street that effectively functions as the hotel restaurant. The rooms are both clean and spacious, the staff uniformly helpful and the Hungarian room service fun and amusing. The in-hotel breakfast (served to the strains of Strauss) is excellent, with some of the best scrambled eggs I have ever had. In addition, the room we had was quiet (save a mournful cat one nice.)

We've been travelling abroad for many years and stayed in many places, but few as comfortable and welcoming as Spiess & Speiss. When I go back to Vienna I will most definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed in the newer section of the hotel, looking out on the garden. I would probably suggest th...
1  Thank digitalican