“Beautiful Room in a Great Location”

Hotel SPIESS & SPIESS Appartement-Pension
Ranked #1 of 116 Vienna B&B and Inns
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I arrived in Vienna by train and followed the instructions given to me by the B & B which required using the underground. The directions were very clear and when I came out of the station, there ahead of me to the left was my destination. Perfect! When I went to my room, I was amazed - it was in the back annex and had a patio onto the courtyard. What a treat! The room was very spacious - tastefully decorated in white and all the amenities were modern and sparkling clean. The bathroom was awesome - I felt very indulged. I ate at a couple restaurants in the neighbourhood - Greek, right beside the U entrance and an Italian place right around the corner. Both were very good and reasonable. I really loved how easy I could access the underground, which really helped me move around the city. The receptionist was very pleasant and helpful, although I had one bad experience when I enquired about getting tickets for the Vienna Boys Choir. I was assured the ticket was waiting for me to pick up and given directions to the theatre which involved the U and taking a bus at one of the stops. It was pouring rain so I jumped into a taxi and ended up at the wrong place with another lady, also given wrong directions. We were both stressed out as we had a time limit to claim our tickets. Luckily, a good Samaritan gave us a ride down the street to the theatre. After all that, when I got there, they didn't have a ticket in my name. Luckily, I was able to purchase a seat. It was a beautiful concert. Afterwards, the young lady sitting beside me directed me to the U station right outside the theatre. Not sure why I didn't get the correct info to begin with, but that was my only negative experience at this beautiful B & B and I have no hesitation in recommending it. Stay there! You'll love it!.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Sanspen
SPIESS-Team, Geschäftsführer at Hotel SPIESS & SPIESS Appartement-Pension, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Dear Guest!
Thank you so much for your outstanding review. We appreciate it a lot to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you recommend our place!
I have investigated the incident regarding the wrong instructions you were given on how to get to the Concert. We are very sorry about that and will make sure that every one of our team now knows how to get there.
Best regards,
Jean-Philipp.

Reviewed 13 January 2014

Unpretentious from the street but very well appointed on the inside. We were in the new back section and the room was huge, very light, very comfortable and VERY quiet. The breakfast room is lovely and the options more than adequate, right down to the champagne on offer. Definitely deserves more than its three star rating.

Downsides, parking is on the street where ever you can find an empty space but the reception staff are very helpful with giving you a placard and a daily parking permit (4.50€/day) for your car. Also, although the u-BahnCard is very close, it does seem a little ridiculous to take it for just 1-2 stops so we walked into Vienna each day except when travelling further afield. My wife and I walk reasonably quickly and the distance from the B&B door to the Dom is 20minutes fast walking or 25-30minutes at a more leisurely walk - not the 10-15minutes the receptionist said.

As for evening meals, the Italian place around the corner is quite good and reasonably priced. Unfortunately, the authentic Viennese restaurant the B&B recommended was closed for the Christmas/New Year period when we were there.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Wonderful stay at Spiess &Spiess! Loads of natural light, heated floors, lots of room to spread out. The breakfast room is bright and comfortable as well, breakfast was excellent, and fresh. Herr Spiess makes the best eggs on the planet!!! Location was superb. The U station is practically outside the entrance of the hotel, but within 15 minute walk, you are at Stephansplatz! Highly recommend! Leni and Gabriele are very cheerful and happy to help with any questions, or, ready to help in making arrangements for your day of fun.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank SDM2014
Reviewed 10 December 2013

This is a great place! The rooms are large, modern, and clean, the staff is courteous and friendly, the location is fantastic (on top of a subway stop so very easy to get anywhere quickly), and the breakfast is lovely, fresh, and generous. Our family of four (2 small children) stayed in Vienna for five days and thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel and wholeheartedly recommend it. The baby cot provided in the room was clean and well maintained, and the sheets and blanket were changed with housekeeping service, which was such a nice touch.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank 28watts
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This nice small hotel is situated in nice neighborhood and is easily access by public transport. The décor is white and nicely stylish but still cosy. I had a garden side room with a balcony. I liked a lot the excellent light and make-up mirror in bathroom. The bathroom had also quite large corner bath tube. Free wifi was available in the rooms, but it didn’t work perfectly in every room. The breakfast room had also nice and calm atmosphere. Nice surprise was freshly pressed orange juice.

Room Tip: The garden side room may have a balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sunshine76_09
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Three of us, a couple and a single, stayed for 3 nights. We had a lovely 2 bedroom apartment (NB although called an apartment the kitchen facilities were limited). However, the breakfasts included in the price were wonderful. The price wasn't cheap but we didn't mind paying for quality and convenience. The apartments are located in a quiet street, two metro stops from the centre of the old town - the metro stop is just a short walk along the road. We loved our stay here. Our only complaint would be the difficulty accessing the Wifi from the annex where our rooms were. But as this was a problem we encountered throughout Europe it would be unfair to let this affect my review of Spiess and Spiess.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the apartments in the annex behind the main building. It was very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Rose244
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The reviews speak the truth. Arrived here from a very small room in Budapest. Our room was huge with a balcony. So nice to be able to spread out. Great location, excellent breakfast. Vienna is a great city and has a lovely feel to it. I miss it already!

Room Tip: Room 14. Nice balcony.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family