Vienna made a good impression on me the minute we landed with the amazing airport, fast train to city centre and easy to navigate underground. We'd travelled all night and were knackered to say the least, just eager to get to our room and have a good lie down.
We were too early to check in at the Hotel Rathaus. We even knew our room would not be ready but we just wanted to sit down in the warm. Unlike other hotels which might have sent us away, instead we were warmly welcomed, baggage taken from us for safekeeping, sat down and given free coffee and croissants in the bar whilst our room was prepared.
In no time the room was ready and we were inside. This was a treat, and no mistake. We were put in 003 - a spacious, immaculately designed and comfortable ground floor room with window-level soft seating and a huge deep bath.
We gladly cracked open a bottle of the Pinot Noir helpfully on sale in the room (not such a bad price all told) and started guzzling. Within minutes we were comfortable, warm and right at home. Not many hotels can match this.
Throughout our stay, everything was impeccable. The staff booked our restaurants and taxis for us immediately and without hesitation. The legendary breakfast is, indeed, up to the hype and will set you up beyond lunchtime if you time it right. Our room was the exact mi of fashionable and practicable and the service was spot on throughout.
Did I mention the free and quick wifi? The sensational cellar? The location perfectly outside the tourist whirlpool yet minutes from the action? Everything here added up positively and whatever minor niggles we had have already been forgotten.
The naysayers in recent reviews appear to be expecting some kind of five star experience for three/four star prices. The reality is if you want limitless decadence and fawning waiters in bow ties, there are plenty of Vienna hotels that cater for this at far more expensive prices. If you are realistic and seasoned traveller looking for a comfortable base with a touch of luxury whilst you explore Vienna, for a reasonable price, then the Wein & Design is absolutely the right call.
I heartily and fully recommend this hotel for a break in this captivating city. Book with confidence and enjoy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vienna's one and only wine themed hotel is looking forward to hosting all wine lovers. All our 39 rooms are dedicated to Austrian premium winemakers and are featuring clear and state of the art design and function, enhanced with a lot of love for the details and some quirky things, too. Don't be surprised!!! You will find the wines of your partner vintner in your room and all the other wines from all the other winemakers in our wine lounge. We serve, of course, wine 24 hours a day. Our attic suite (80 sqm with private rooftop terrace) is dedicated to German vintners...! Why? Because weeeee loooove Riiiisling!!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Rathaus Wein And Design Wien
- Hotel Rathaus Wein Design Wien
- Rathaus Wein Design Wien Hotel