The Rathaus hotel is situated on a quiet side street less than 10 minutes walk from some of Vienna’s most popular tourist attractions. The museum quarter, Hapsburg palace, natural history museum, and Parliament building are amongst some of the closest tourist sites.
The entrance to the hotel is at street level, however there is a flight of stairs to an upper ground level, where reception is located. There is a bell to summon a porter if you don’t fancy carrying your own luggage. I mention this for the benefit of Trip Advisor readers who may be looking for easy access options. There is a lift on the reception level to upper floors.
The service, efficiency and willingness to help is outstanding right from the start. When I booked I requested a quiet room and on arrival this had been arranged. The check-In process was very quick with the minimum of details to complete.
Entering my room I was pleasantly surprised with the light airy space and contemporary décor and furnishings. The obscured lighting gives a warm effect without being harsh. Every room has a theme associated with a particular Austrian vineyard. This includes pictures of the vineyard as well as wines in the minibar.
The toilet is a separate room, but there isn’t a separate bathroom as such. There is a large sink located in the room and the shower cubicle opens directly into the bedroom. I quite like this format, but some readers may not. Not having a wall between the two areas adds to the feeling of space.
I don’t usually like courtyard rooms as they can often face blank walls or other hotel rooms, however in this case the wall opposite my window had been painted with a large mural which was quite nice.
The bed was very comfortable and I slept well every night. No noise from any surrounding rooms. One very minor point is that you shouldn’t expect to have a lie-in here. The tiled floors in the hallways make a real racket when the cleaner wheels a trolley or guests move their cases. This was never earlier than 8AM though.
Free WiFi is available throughout the hotel and I had a strong signal and good performance in my room and also in the breakfast area.
There isn’t an onsite restaurant at this hotel, but they do serve breakfasts. There are several levels of breakfast, with prices proportional to the one you select. There is a large selection of patisseries, cereals, breads, cheese, meats, fruits etc. as well as a cooked option if you prefer. The selection of foods is one of the best I have encountered. As well as the breakfast room here is a small courtyard area where you can eat outside.
TIP: If you aren’t hungry first thing in the morning, skip breakfast and buy some snacks/drinks to take with you sightseeing. There is well stocked Spar store 50M down the road from the hotel.
On the last day of my holiday my airport pickup wasn’t due until 4.30PM so I requested a late checkout as the standard midday checkout would be really inconvenient. This was accommodated with no charge which was a nice surprise.
I highly recommend the Rathaus Hotel to any visitors to Vienna. The staff really understand customer service and go out of their way to help guests, The rooms are comfortable and nicely decorated, and the hotel is well positioned for visitors to walk to all the major tourist sites.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vienna's one and only wine themed hotel is looking forward to hosting all wine lovers. All our 39 rooms are dedicated to Austrian premium winemakers and are featuring clear and state of the art design and function, enhanced with a lot of love for the details and some quirky things, too. Don't be surprised!!! You will find the wines of your partner vintner in your room and all the other wines from all the other winemakers in our wine lounge. We serve, of course, wine 24 hours a day. Our attic suite (80 sqm with private rooftop terrace) is dedicated to German vintners...! Why? Because weeeee loooove Riiiisling!!! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travel Republic (UK) and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Rathaus Wein And Design Wien
- Hotel Rathaus Wein Design Wien
- Rathaus Wein Design Wien Hotel