“Quirky cool hotel at convenient location”

Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design
Ranked #6 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I only stayed 24 hours in Vienna, but I could not have picked a better spot! The hotel has a really cool design and the Wine theme is visible everywhere with empty bottles used in the interior design, the names of the rooms etc. My room was very spacious with quite a comfy bed, a lovely bathroom and great shower. The room looks very quirky and there are nice little touches, such as funny texts on mugs, the don't smoke sign looks like a cigarette pack and so on. The "curtain" is a panel that you move in front of the window and in the morning when the sun comes up it has a great sort of print on it that is emphasized by the sun, but without making the room light. Quirky!
The toilet was separate, which is really great, however I do not understand why there was no small wash basin (it is spacious enough) in it so you could wash your hands. Now I had to walk to the bathroom for that. This was the only little point that could be improved.

The staff is really helpful. They explained how I could walk easily to the city center (a lovely 20 minute walk along a number of key must see spots!), which is one of the reasons why I thought this hotel was in a great location: outside of the busy center but within walking distance of everything worth seeing.

The breakfast is very nice, with quite a large spread and when you order a boiled egg you get it with a face drawn on it and a little hat: so cute!

As my plane left very late (11pm), I was very happy to discover that the hotel has a "Wash & Go" room, as I had already checked out of my room. In this way I could still discover the city and have a quick shower afterwards at the hotel, before I jumped in the taxi to the airport. A great final touch! I will definitely come back.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Wien81
oderwitz, Manager at Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Dear Guests from Dubai!

Thank you for your stay with us and also thank you so much for your kind review.

Yes, quirky, that´s what we are somehow... :)!

I would like to thank you especially for your nice picture with the mug, explaining our service in terms of fresh brewed coffee and tea...! Some guests, mainly from overseas who are used to this "coffee making machines", are missing them in our hotel. But we think: Forget the machine in the room, it is just another technical device, not really looking "sexy" in a hotel´s room. It is our understanding of service to deliver coffee and tea freshly brewed, and of course, complimentary 24 hours a day.

So again, thank you for your wonderful support.

Hope to see you soon,

cordially,

Conrad Schröpel
Hotel Manager

There are newer reviews for Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Huge room, great breakfast, and helpful staff. Snack but no real dinner menu so plan to eat at restaurants in the area. Despite being encouraged by the waitress to eat dinner at a recommended restaurant, I ordered the small steak and salad after an exhausting day of traveling to Vienna. The two small steaks were extremely tough and I could not eat them. The salad was soaked with dressing. This does not diminish my positive experience at the hotel and would stay there on my next trip to Vienna; I would plan dinner elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank running_w0man
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I liked this hotel from the moment we arrived, despite not being able to get access to the room! We had arrived at just after 6 am so did not expect the room to be available but the staff member was so polite and apologetic we were happy to be told as much. When we did get access to the room it was nice and spacious and well appointed. The breakfast was excellent, plenty of buffet options plus the kitchen would cook bacon and eggs, etc., on request. Because the weather was so nice we were able to sit outside, which made it even better. Recommendations for where to eat outside in the evening were well received and hit the mark. Overall it was a pleasure to be in Vienna and particularly to be in Vienna at the Hotel Rathaus. Thanks for a memorable stay.

1  Thank Robin W
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Really great hotel. Good location with easy access to Old Town on foot and by Underground. The hotel rooms are modern, large and with all mod cons - furnishings are elegantly modern. Staff are first class - friendly, helpful and prepared to go the extra mile. Breakfasts very good and light meals of excellent standard. Wine theme adds the extra touch.

Room Tip: We had room 306 and I would think the higher the better.
2  Thank Edmund88
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Great location and fit out. The room was big and clean with all the mod cons. The breakfast Buffett was impressive. The best thing this hotel has to offer is its staff, they literally bent over backwards for us, booking tours, restaurants etc. there advise on what to see and restaurants to eat at was spot each time.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Bretto1979
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My son and I spent two very enjoyable nights here. We had requested a twin room and were rewarded with a large room with queen bed and a very comfy fold out sofa. The theming of each room around an Austrian winemaker works and gives a nice point of difference. The breakfast buffet was 5 star complemented by a lovely courtyard for those wishing to eat outside. The heart of Vienna is only about 10 minutes by foot and yet the hotel is in a lovely quiet area. The hotel also arranged an airport pick up for 37 euro which we found very reasonable.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank JillySAustralia
Reviewed 20 July 2014

What a lovely surprise. Superbly positioned, down to earth yet eclectic and a well looked after boutique hotel. Our room was great - large, super comfortable bed with great shower. We had a yummy breakfast each day and then made our way out for a day's sight seeing and good lunches. We had a glass of wine each evening before venturing out - it is a 'wine' hotel with each room assigned to a local blend. They do light snacks to accompany the wine but we didn't partake. Our room face the street (not a main one) and we did get a couple of early morning motor bikes going passed but on the whole it was quiet. Something to remember for when you get back from supper - there is a lovely little balcony with a snuggle up in chair that we enjoyed a good couple of glasses of late night vino on.