Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design
  • Pool
US$404
US$376
1,382 results
All reviewsaustrian wineswine loversthemed hotelquiet streetmuseum quarterminute walkrain showergreat boutiquecity hallroom was spaciouswalk in showerthree nightsfantastic hotelhighly recommend this hotelloved this hotelchristmas marketspent nights
Reviewed 31 October 2010

Look - someone had a great idea - Wien and Wine are spelt with the same letters and when you say "wine" in a german accent it's not that different to saying vienna in german - and wine rhymes with design - so, fantastic, there you have wine and design hotel in Wien to attract sophisticated people like me, the wife and the boy.

To be honest, I was a little concerned about being exposed on my lack of knowledge of Austrian wine. Needn't have worried - simply all the rooms in the hotel are branded according to famous Austrian wines - I asked for the Black Tower room but they didn't get the joke - yes, I know Black Tower (one of the 1980s favourite tipples when combined with strong lager) is German but it was all I had in my wine tasting notes. So our room was themed according to a famous Austrian winemaker called ....err... Herr ....no, can't recall. Lots of wine related pictures and this guy's wine overly well represented in the mini-bar.

So that's the wine. Design. Yes - this is s small hotel carved out from an old building close to the centre of Vienna. The rooms are modern, stylish and big - tall ceilings, fancy lighting, wood flooring, wet room showers, lots of nice touches. The wine-design theme is maintained throughout - to the extent that the little foldy over bit on the toilet paper roll was secured with a tiny paper sticker in the shape of a wine bottle - now that's the attention to detail sophisticated winers and designers like me appreciate.

This is a good hotel - the other reviews are right. Staff are friendly and helpful. It's clean and bright. From the outside it doesn't look too impressive - but it is well located. Just a few minutes walk from the Volkstheatre metro station and a short walk from the trams on the Ringstrasse and from the Hofburg area.

There's a few shops nearby - like Spar and Billa where you can get supplies - though they're not open on a Sunday. Unfortunately nowhere right on hand to get a coffee - so breakfast options are limited - because the hotel wants to charge 15 euros for breakfast. Now Vienna is expensive - no question - but with the £ to euro almost at 1:1 when we went the idea of spending £45 for 3 of us on breakfast was more than I could cope with - call me tight but when breakfast at the hotel for 3 days stay costs you as much as the one way flight to vienna on easyJet (and that's with speedy boarding!) then I'm afraid breakfast is down the road at the Spar shop and a coffee later on. I also bought a fruity little Austrian red wine in Spar - not for breakfast I must add - which has enabled me to commence my Austrian wine tasting notes.

So - this hotel is good - but it's expensive - but then Vienna itself is expensive - and looking at the other hotels you can pay a lot more. It's well located, modern and quiet with friendly and helpful staff. I'm sure the breakfast and the wine are good - but having shelled out for the hotel itself and going to see the horses at the Spanish Riding school - I decided to save the remaining cash to spend on lager and sausages in Munich later in our trip.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank corkyccat
Reviewed 29 October 2010

We stayed at Hotel Rathaus Wein & Design Wien during our time in Vienna. It is an exceptional hotel; very high class with only two minor negatives; location is a bit off the main drag and breakfast isn't included. We took the underground to the hotel, which is located near a station; making sightseeing very easy. We checked in and were amazed at how friendly and good the staff was. They informed us of everything and were very helpful. While breakfast wasn't included, we took a look and couldn't resist; it was by far the best breakfast we had on the 14 day trip (15Euto); well worth splurging one day. Our room was very comfortable and large and the bathroom was wonderful; I thought my wife was going to take the oversized showerhead in the ceiling. We enjoyed our stay here; if we go back to Vienna, I would have no problem staying here again, but may consider a move closer to the center of town.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 October 2010

We stayed for 3 nights at this 6 year old boutique hotel. We chose it in view of the strong and positive comments on TA. I booked a large suite on the top floor. The suite was HUGE! The ceiling was very tall with skylight windows. The bed was a little disappointingly small. Toilets / shower was excellent and the heated floor in the toilet and shower areas were a nice touch of luxury, especially in a cold winter.

Breakfast was excellent with a huge selection of cold cuts and fruits and juices etc. It is however, essentially a "European" breakfast with only cooked eggs (on order).

My main disappointment was the erratic heating in the Suite, which could be much improved.

The front reception desk staff were most helpful and friendly.

The hotel is located in a somewhat quiet area of the city, though the bus and tram and underground stations are not more than 10 - 15 minutes away by foot.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel to the discerning traveller who wants comfort and understated luxury without splurging too much. Quite ideal for honeymooners.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank SingaporeGuy10
Reviewed 19 October 2010

The staff was friendly and available at all hours. The Wine Bar features great Austrian wine and is open 24-hours! The rooms are modern and very comfortable and the neighborhood is remarkably quiet.
Breakfast at Rathaus Wein and Design is spectacular. The perfect way to start a day of exploring beautiful Vienna!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2010

My wife and I staed at the Rathaus in Vienna for 4 days. The staff is always willing to help with everything. The location is ideal being only a 10 minute walk to the Palace. Breakfast takes time since it features one of the largest selection of items we have experienced in our 52 countris we have visited. The rooms are well designed and the rain shower is fantastic. We will definitely stay there the next time we are in Vienna.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple