“A Relatively Narrow and Short Structure Housing a Beautiful Interior and Exquisitely-Decorated Roof”
Review of St. Peter's Church

St. Peter's Church
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Christmas and New Year Concert at St. Peter’s...
Ranked #22 of 717 things to do in Vienna
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I visited St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche) as part of my 5 full-day visit to Vienna and enjoyed it a lot. It was one of the few churches I had planned to visit in the city and after my time in Vienna my limited selection proved justified, as this was one of the few churches really worth devoting any time to as I don't think many are that special.

I am compiling an extensive Trip Advisor 'Trip List' for my visit to see the sights of Vienna (and writing TA reviews for all the places I visited, accessed easiest by selecting the 'See * more reviews by LPWilliams for Vienna' link at the base of this review), it is entitled 'Vienna Attractions, Hotel & Transport : 5 Full-Day Visit Sep 2012'. Please feel free to access it via my TA Profile (by clicking my TA 'name' below the photo on the left of this review). I hope it is of interest and use to you and that all of my individual reviews/photos/videos get posted properly; don't forget that videos aren't posted with the review like photos are, so it's best to locate them via my TA profile....

Situated in the western area of the city centre, on a dedicated plot barely larger than the 'footprint' of the building itself, Peterskirche is surrounded by narrow lanes and the towering roofs of adjacent properties. However, unlike the similarly attractive Church of the Jesuits (Universitatskirche), located not too far away on the eastern side of the city centre (see my TA review) which also has similarly diminutive proportions, due to it's situation Peterskirche has a far more prominent exterior and which is also visible from all angles (just about !).

So, there is much more to see of a notable exterior, with the facade featuring twin square towers and the dominant domed, green-coloured, roof.

The interior is very attractive, with the nave being about the same size as the altar area, featuring ornately decorated walls and some very pleasant 'balconies' situated along the relatively short seating area.

What your eyes should be drawn to though is the ceiling, which has a number of arched segments but is ultimately dominated by the oval-shaped cupola which is quite beautiful and has the potential benefit of being lit by sunlight from all angles to accentuate the central fresco and delightful perimeter 'rim' decorations.

Maintaining that beauty, the arches share the same kind of attention to detail with numerous gold decorations placed in individual reliefs. There is also a much smaller cupola decorated in the same style to the arches, but is accentuated by contrasting colours to the edges - until you realise (unless I was deceived and my memory has failed me !) that it is in fact all decoration and a '3D 'illusion'. being actually a flat portion of the roof !

Approaching the altar, there is an extremely attractive high-mounted pulpit decorated in gold on blue-coloured background structure. Turn around and you can enjoy the intricacies of the similarly ornately-decorated organ situated high above the entrance vestibule; unlike during my visit to Universitatskirche earlier in the day, no music was being played.

Dimensions narrow as you approach the altar, which features a varying number of decorative styles with predominantly gold, white and blue colouring and some accompanying paintings - everything is similar in nature to, and maintains the level of beauty of, what you've seen in the nave.

I will append a couple of video sequences to the attraction webpage and add a few of my own photos to this review once it's been posted. The dedicated website for the church also has an excellent range of photos to peruse, see my Trip List for the info but I'll request that the Internet link is appended to this TA webpage as well.

If you enjoy looking at church interiors then St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche) should join the Church of the Jesuits (Universitatskirche) at the top of your list to visit in Vienna. The exterior gives only a hint of the beauty within; and, like Universitatskirche, the fact that other Vienna churches that are almost ugly in comparison charge an entrance fee, whereas you can visit this one for free, speaks volumes for what can be yet another worthwhile visit in the city.

1  Thank LPWilliams
Write a ReviewReviews (3,252)
All reviews
in 41 reviews
in 23 reviews
in 52 reviews

Reviewed 26 January 2013

Try and find the times when the choir is training or when the organ music is going. Lovely to sit and listen.

Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

I hadn't heard or read anything about that church. Its green dome caught my attention as I was strolling down a nearby street. I decided to go inside and was surprised by its beauty. I think St. Peter's church is one of the most beautiful catholic churches I have ever visited.

1  Thank Camila_O
Reviewed 8 January 2013

So worthwhile and truly a gothic experience. Absolutely one of the most beautiful churches I have visited in Europe.

1  Thank L B