“Good, but overpriced”

Ranked #155 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good, but overpriced”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed here because we got a great deal for our room. Otherwise, I'm not sure we would pay asking price. There are many hotels nearby of same quality that are cheaper.

Hotel is nicely decorated, staff is extremely friendly.

Bed is one of the best I ever slept in (beside my own :))
Bathroom on the other hand is extremely small, and I just don't like that...
I like it when my husband and I can brush teeth side by side, not a bathroom so small that I can barely turn in circle when I'm alone in it without bumping my elbows on corners.

Granted, we were in a corner room, so maybe size of bathroom isn't an issue in other rooms.

Hotel has private garage which is reasonably priced (I think 15€/day, I'm not sure...)

Location is very good, 5 min to U-bahn station.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank puregreen
Elisabeth B, Assistant to GM at Leonardo Hotel Vienna, responded to this review, 11 January 2014
Dear puregreen,
Thank you for sharing your experience with other planners on Tripadvisor.
We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Leonardo Hotel Vienna.

We are looking forward of welcoming you in one of our other Leonardo hotels.

Best regards from Vienna

Assistant to GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 December 2013 via mobile

We booked this hotel as a special little treat to ourselves as we were staying over the Christmas period. The hotel was exactly that. Being able to relax and enjoy ourselves as much as we did at this hotel was great. The hotel staff were always, promptly available and greatly helpful. The bar was a great little place to relax. They offered both free internet and then paid Internet which I think is great - giving the customers the choice whether to have Internet access in their rooms or having Internet access downstairs with others. No real complaints at all.
Most definitely would recommend the hotel - extremely clean, well maintained and fantastic location. 20 second walk from mariahilfer (central shopping district) and then a minute walk from the U and S bahn trains.
Thank you!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lucachizz
Elisabeth B, Assistant to GM at Leonardo Hotel Vienna, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Dear lucachizz,
Thank you for your positive feedback and that you are going to share your experience with us and all other planners on Tripadvisor. We are happy to read, that we could satisfy with our services and that you had a great time over the Christmas period here in Vienna and at the hotel Leonardo.

We are looking of welcoming you again and remain

with best regards
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

This used to be the Mercure: a dreadfully tatty old place, that has now been completely refurbished. Leonardo might have done better to have knocked the place down and started again instead, rather than cheapen their name by being associated with this place.

The rooms are bright, modern and quite attractive, but you can't get away from the fact it's a 60s hotel that's had a makeover. Shoving a couple of "trendy" chandeliers and some high backed red leather chairs in the lobby won't change the fact that the hallways are claustrophobic, the lifts tiny, and the rooms are small.

Beds are comfy. The bathrooms are part of the room, and have glass doors. It's definitely aiming at a younger crowd. I like it, but it won't be some people's taste.

It's in no way a 4 star hotel. 2 or 3 would be more like it. The small bar doesn't open until 5pm, my room wasn't ready until 3pm, and people were lying round in the lobby waiting for the inefficient house keeping staff to do their job. The young, inexperienced check in staff were friendly but didn't look like they could organise a piss up in a brewery. That's quite typically Viennese, but you don't expect it from this chain.

If you want a designer style, basic hotel that's not in a central location, it's fine, but don't expect too much from the place. It is nowhere NEAR the standard of other Leonardo hotels, such as the outstanding, purpose built Munich one with its beautiful lobby, restaurant and huge luxurious rooms.

Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Peter E
Dear PeterEde7,
Thank you for your valued feedback on Tripadvisor.
We regret, that you during your stay in Vienna did not feel comfortable at our hotel.

We are looking forward of welcoming you maybe in another hotel of the Leonardo Hotel group.

We remain this time from Vienna

Rome, Italy
Reviewed 26 December 2013

the location of the hotel is great, even not in the center it's very close to metro station. if you like to walk, you can arrive even walking.
We had to ask to change the room to have a more silent one, and the staff has been very nice and they did it right away.
The rooms are pretty nice and very clean.

What we liked best is the location, the least is the big (80x80) pillows that we're not used to sleeping on!

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor and ask for an inside looking room (the rooms facing the street are noisy) in...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gamzeo2013
Dear Gamze O,
Thank you for sharing your experience with other planners on Tripadvisor.
We are glad to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Leonardo Hotel Vienna.
The good location near the famous Mariahilferstrasse as well as the near entrance to the
public transportation (U-Bahn, train,) makes the hotel a perfect place to explore the city.

Best regards
Assistant to Gm
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 16 December 2013 via mobile

I back from my vacation one week ago,we were on 7/12-10/12
I won't to say that the hotel was very good.....
The service,the room was stunning!!!!!!
The food was simply superb and the reception I most to thank: Christine Krapf and all the staff.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Mazal S
Dear Mazal S,
Thank you for your positive feedback and that you are going to share your experience with other planners on Tripadvisor. We are happy to read, that we could satisfy with our services and that you had a great time here in Vienna and at the Leonardo hotel.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 16 December 2013

The hotel was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was also very nice, it was a breakfast buffet. The hotel is situated extremely close to Westbahnhof (train/bus and subway station) and its connections to the city center are very good. The lounge at the hotel is also very nice.

One night I wanted a pizza and another guy at the front desk (glasses, very nice guy), called and ordered a pizza for me, so that was awesome!

One of the men working at the front desk didn't know much about certain stuff (I asked where certain places were and he didn't know what to do about the airconditioning in my room that wasn't working). But that's not a huge disaster. The soap dispensers in my room weren't working so I informed the same guy at the front desk about this and he gave me some soap. I don't know if this was a problem in only MY room or in all the rooms but this was the only small thing "wrong".

Housekeeping was at my door at 9am, that's pretty early for when you're on vacation, hahaha. But it was fine otherwise. The next day I just told them to come later in the morning.

Oh and their Wifi is €9 a day and if you have an iPhone the wireless acts up.

I had bought 5 vouchers for my entire stay and the last night I realized that I miscalculated so I wanted the money back from that 1 extra voucher. They said it was possible, for me to come in the morning. I did this as I was checking out and then I was told I had to wait 20 minutes. If I had known this earlier I would have done it the night before, but they didn't tell me this earlier and I couldn't afford to be late for my flight (as I was heading toward the airport), so I had to leave and I was out €9!

It's a shame that you can't have dinner at the hotel, I had to go and eat out every day.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear CFarhat,
Thank you for your detailed feedback on Tripadvisor. We are glad to read that we could satisfy with our services and that you had an enjoyable stay at the Leonardo Hotel Vienna.

Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed 6 December 2013

The hotel is located 2 min walk from Mariahilferstrasse and from the metro station Westbahnhof (line M3, 3 stations to the very center of Vienna), clean rooms but very small with small bathrooms as well, poor breakfast (2 types of salami, 2 types of ham and 2 of cheese plus eggs and butter). Wireless in the room costs 9 euros/day and it works ok. The best of the hotel is the location and accesibility to all points of interest.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank lilianasto
Elisabeth B, Assistant to GM at Leonardo Hotel Vienna, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear IiIianasto,
thank you very much for your feedback on Tripadvisor .
Regarding our hot and cold buffet breakfast, we regret that our offer did not met all of your expectations.
We are pleased to read that part of our services were to your satisfaction.

We are looking forward of welcoming you again at the Leonardo Hotel Vienna.

and remain,