“great location, nice room, HUGE bathroom”

The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna
Ranked #15 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I stayed here for three nights recently and I found the hotel to be quite nice. not the best 5 star hotel I've stayed in but it was one of the best european hotels I've stayed in. The bed was comfy and the size of the bathroom was huge, separate walk-in shower, tub a big sink area. Our room didn't have much of a view despite it having a small walkout balcony. The location was great as you're a 10-15 minute walk from all the main sites in the city center and the underground station is right inside the park next to the hotel. And a bonus is the underground line that goes through the Stadt Park station takes you out to Schonbrunn Palace. The hotel has a bar on the rooftop that has a great view of the city and is worth stopping by for a drink one evening. We stayed at the far end of the hotel on the sixth floor, believe it was 621 which was close to another elevator in the building so it was a quick in and out once from the room. We got a great rate here, not sure I'd pay full rate as we didn't spend a ton of time in the room but I'd definitely stay here again.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Great Hotel, clean and tidy Rooms. Awesome Concierge and Guest Services Team. Breakfast needs improvement. But overall ''Superbe''. i was taken care of and was made to feel like royalty.

The food and meals in genral were of the highest quality and would recommend this Hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ginette D
Reviewed 23 May 2014

We stayed for 5 days in Mayl and we could not fault the hotel in any way. The staff are very friendly and polite. I have mobility problems and the staff went out of their way to help. Simon and his team in the Club lounge were very helpful, as was the concierge, in finding us somewhere to eat and arranging transport. The pool and spa area were accessible and clean. Great location within walking distance of the major attractions in the city.

Room Tip: Club rooms are very spacious
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights at the RC Vienna. The hotel is beautiful, well located and looks classic yet everything is modern and up to date. And I have to say it is one of the best showers I've ever had in an hotel room.
The rooms are spacious, well equipped and with nice decor.
Unfortunately we had an air conditioning problem since day one. The room just couldn't get cooler. Even-tough the temperature marked 16C, that was obviously not the case. We brought this to the attention of the reception personnel on duty. They told us that they would program it again and that it will be fix in no time.
To make a long story short, we had some one trying to fix the problem at 3am in the room and when they couldn't we were told 'just open the window'. That was the end of night one.
Unfortunately we brought this problem up every day with no solution for the 3 nights and we ended up sleeping with a fan on the third night.
I think that for Ritz Carlton this kind of situation is simply unacceptable.
Needless to say, this situation ruined our nights.
In short, it is a beautiful property, great location (10min walk from the Opera) and good amenities. Not so with service and situation solving.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MoishePod
ManagerRitzCarlton, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna. First of all I would like to thank you very much for taking your time to share your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us.
I am very sorry to hear that you experienced some bad issues with the Air Conditioning in your room and that you were also not very satisfied with the overall service the Ladies and Gentlemen provided. This is certainly not the standard we are trying to provide for our guests and what we are known for and I can completely empathize with your feelings about the lack of experience with the problem solution regarding the Air Conditioning. Please do accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused.
Your feedback is important for us and please rest assured that I have personally addressed the topics with the relevant departments in order for us to grow, improve and prevent situations like this.
I do hope that this incident has not narrowed your overall impression and that we will be able to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna in the near future.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

This is quite possibly the worst hotel I have ever stayed in relative to the price ($1000/day). There is no service from the minute you check in and the staff couldn't care less when you complain. All they say is that they're truly sorry. For starters we tried to book a number of dinners etc through the concierge, while they did make the bookings we had to go back to the desk to find out what they booked. At all hotels in this price range (Four Seasons, Mandarin, etc.) the concierge sends a message to your room advising what's booked. it's not the GUEST's job to chase down the concierge. No tables available at breakfast, we had to sit in the lobby to eat, elevators not working, we were stuck in one for 10 minutes and nobody came or answered the distress call (finally it started to work on its own), phone messages delivered 5 hours after the call, air conditioning in the room not working and on and on. My advise to those who are happy with this level of service in Vienna...stay at the Holiday Inn. It's cheaper and at least you get what you pay for.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

we are terribly sorry to read that your experience at The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna was not satisfying. Our sincere apologies for that as it is our aim to continuously meet and exceed our guests` expectations.

We take your feedback very seriously and would therefore very much appreciate if you could give us the chance to apologize in person and ensure that we can learn from it in the future.

I know that my Ladies & Gentlemen already were in contact with you during your stay after your review but, if you do not mind, I would like to contact you personally. In order to do so, would you kindly send me an email with your contact details to Matthias.vogt@ritzcarlton.com I will then call you accordingly.

I look forward hearing from you.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

This hotel taught me one thing - not all Ritz Carltons are created equal.

The rooms and hallways look very pedestrian. Especially the hallways. NOTHING about them screams 5 stars.

We stayed here for four nights, on our honeymoon. What did they do? Some cheap rose petals on the bed. That was it. No sparkling wine, nothing. Fast forward to our stay at the Four Seasons in Budapest the following week - THEY rolled out the red carpet for us! Immediately upon check-in, they delivered chocolate-covered strawberries, AND a whole bottle of sparkling wine, on the house. Now that's hospitality!

In short, pick another hotel when you visit Vienna.

3  Thank SFOO7
ManagerRitzCarlton, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your open feedback on your recent stay at The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna.

I am exceedingly sorry that your stay at our hotel was not as expected, especially on such a special occasion as your honeymoon trip.

While I do fully empathize with your disappointment, I would also like to clarify that indeed we do make special arrangements for our honeymoon guests. There is a special turndown service, a heart shaped of rose petals placed on the bed, which you described and received. Additionally, we deliver a bottle of sparkling wine, chocolate strawberries and a honeymoon welcome card through our In Room Dining Team. I have reviewed the issue with the respective department heads and it was a most unfortunate matter that you placed the “Do not disturb” sign before we were able to deliver the aforementioned items to your room.

Please accept my sincere apologies for your justified disappointment and also please rest assured that your feedback will be taken very seriously and shared among the Ladies and Gentlemen of my team to avoid such incidents in the future and to improve our service and processes within the hotel.

If you decide on another visit to Vienna in the future I hope you will consider staying at The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna again to give us the opportunity to prove that we can do so much better. Please contact me directly in case of a future reservation request and allow me to personally look after the arrangements for you.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

USA hospitality has finally come to Vienna, which may not be necessarily an advantage...
On the positive side, we had a nice, quiet corner room, the bathroom is large (although it has only one sink and a rather small shower-head), and the roof-top terrace offers a nice view (but make sure you sit on the side where you can see the city centre).
The main negative is the Melounge Lobby Lounge, which is dark, “sunk” next to the reception desk (and thus noisy) and offers a breakfast buffet which resembles Marriott rather than Ritz Carlton (the scrambled eggs on the buffet had a distinct pre-mix consistency and taste). Unfortunately, the otherwise very nice Dbar is all smoking and thus a no-go area. As the hotel spans several buildings with different floor levels, be prepared to counter stairs “everywhere”. So if you do not want to schlepp your luggage down half a floor after you exited the elevator ensure you have a room before the stairs!
That someone's else luggage (and jacket) was already in our room when we entered, can happen. That you then find later some chocolate and a bottle of Austrian soda pop in your room not as a (rather cheap) apology, but as welcome for another guest, should not happen, especially if it is placed next to your personal papers with your own name on them...
Having stayed in Vienna now twice at the new Kempinski (on the other side of the Ring) and several times at the Bristol in the past 12 months, you will find better quality/value and similar newly opened hotel rooms at the Kempinski and good, solid Austrian quality and better flair at the Bristol.

Room Tip: Check how many stairs are from the elevator to your room if this is important for you!
3  Thank MJN
ManagerRitzCarlton, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Greetings from The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna!

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable feedback regarding your recent stay with us.

Much to my regret I had to learn that your experience did not live up to your expectations; please allow me to express my most sincere apologies for that.

I am very sorry that the existing physical structure of the hotel was a source of inconvenience to you and that you were dissatisfied with the breakfast offered at our Melounge Lobby Lounge.

With regard to the items placed in your room which actually belonged to another guest I would like to assure you that I have already evaluated your comments with my team in order to prevent any future reoccurrence.

It is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to The Ritz-Carlton, Vienna in the future. Please do get in touch with me if I may ever be of assistance – here or at any of our properties around the globe.