“Authentic Sichuan restaurant”

Ostwind
Ranked #744 of 4,416 Restaurants in Vienna
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Neubau
Description: Outstanding Szechuan cuisine, excellent service, in a nice and simple environment. Price $$$. 4.5 dishes rating.
Reviewed 1 June 2014

The restaurant offers a whole range of dishes drained in red chili oil, they also use a decent amount of Sichuan pepper. Personally, I really like the food served here, compared to what you get in most other Chinese restaurants in Vienna, "Ostwind" food definitely feels authentic. It is possible to get a "numb" feeling on your tongue while eating, while the taste is still great.

Once the food was slightly too salty.

The place looks clean and in Summer it is possible to sit outside. As far as I remember, tap water was offered for free.

2  Thank Osaft

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We randomly (and serendipitously) found this restaurant one night last week when it was raining hard in Vienna (we are tourists from US and UK), and we were looking for a place that serves schnitzel. Unfortunately most of the restaurants that served austrian-german food were full and filled with smokers -- and we wanted some place that did not have smokers in non-smoking dining areas, or non-smoking dining areas filled with smoke. In the end, we went for Chinese. Boy were we pleasantly surprised.

The menu served in this restaurant is definitely not "chinese food for non-chinese people". It is the REAL DEAL, meaning it serves food for Chinese people to non-chinese people, For me this is a good thing because it is good that you educate your diners to true regional food and introduce your culture and palate in the process. Some of the things served may be a bit "exotic" (spicy, fancy, uncommon) but it truly is a good representative of Szechuan cuisine.

We had a squid salad (calamari dipped in vinegar and covered with spices aplenty such as chopped chili, ginger, red onions) -- wow it really is piquant and it stirs the palate. This is an appetizer that really whets your appetite and gets you going. After we finished the calamari off the plate, I still kept the remaining sauce of the dish by my side so that I can use it as an additional seasoning for the other dishes we ordered.

We also got a fish dish that was similar to that usually cooked in a clay pot (slow cooked) but it was served in a glass dish. The fish was HEAVENLY and melt in your mouth. It was very spicy though because we asked not to scrimp on the spices and because we ARE after all, eaters of Asian food from all around the world. We don't feel hesitant or queasy about Asian food. IT REALLY is delicious and I would really suggest that you go for it. There are side vegetables in the dish as well like chinese broccoli and it is a good all-in-one dish, healthy and lots to share among friends. It also has good spicy sauce so you can use the sauce to pour over your rice -- yum yum! Try it!

We also ordered a mince pork dish, spicy again and it was cooked JUST RIGHT.

The rice portions were generous -- and for the price of 1 euro per serving it was truly worth it. I never understood it when Asian restaurants charge unreasonable money for Rice. In America, the rice usually comes free in Chinese restaurants because Rice is a staple -- meaning.... you can't eat Chinese food without rice. It would be like eating an American burger without the bun. So this place, I am glad, charges a minimal amount but they give you a good portion so you can enjoy the food served.

We planned to go back on a Sunday but found out it was closed. Unfortunately, we had to leave Vienna by then, and my biggest regret is not going back another time. That said, fear not because next time I visit Vienna and in fact EVERY TIME I visit Vienna, I already know I will go back.

Be bold. Be adventurous. Come hungry -- you will truly enjoy this place. Thanks guys for the hospitality and the good food. :)

4  Thank TheSugarStealer
Reviewed 3 May 2014

The food was delicious and authentic, the staff is very friendly, nice cozy atmosphere, cool terrace for the summer. I will definitely go back again !

2  Thank ioanabenea15
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I went here with some colleagues before Christmas and I must say I was impressed. The after living in Vienna for 5 years and being disappointed with Asian cuisine tempered to Austrian palettes, I was pleasantly surprised to find some authentic Szechuan!

Hands down, the best thing there was the calamari. Heap loads of it served in a baking pan filled with chili oil and vegetables. Their shrimp potstickers were also dreamy.

Reviewed 4 December 2013

If youre looking for some delicious authentic szechuan cuisine Ostwind in the 7th district is the place to go. Spicy dishes, supernice service, not so nice atmosphere tough. FFSTblog