“Great hotel”

Ranked #10 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
hertfordshire
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

Stayed here for a weekend in December, great hotel. 10 minutes walk max to the City Centre, staff can't really do enough for you, all very helpful. Breakfast excellent, worth the cost. Room was great...if you don't want to be distrubed, ask for a room which isn't adjoined...we could hear our neighbours who had little children, but that was the only small issue.
Would highly recommend this hotel to stay in and wouldn't hesitate to come back. As everyone else has said, amazing shower, didn't ever want to get out of it.
Lobby is wonderful, very relaxing, great service, good menu, lovely. Great hotel!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We stayed here from 16-18 November 2013. It was our first trip to Vienna and we chose the hotel for its location ten minutes walk from the busy main streets, and the Kempinski reputation. Check in was easy and we had a really lovely room.
First downside : the bathroom bin hadn't been emptied from the previous guests, and there was no milk to make a coffee. We asked housekeeping, but they had to ask reception and someone brought some up on a tray which seemed a little extreme !
The public areas are big and bright, and the hotel is very welcoming. Our bed was horribly uncomfortable though, and we both came home with sore backs.
Second downside : The first night we ordered hot chocolate and dessert from room service. A lovely man delivered it, set up the table and was delightful. The second night was a bit different. A girl brought up the trolley, pushed it to the side of the room and said "I'll leave it there". I asked her to set up the table which she did after a moments pause. We sat down to eat the identical order, but the dessert was cold instead of hot. I rang down and said it's cold, and they offered a replacement. We waited 20 minutes and then she returned carrying a pot of hot chocolate. I explained that was wrong and she went away again. This time almost 30 minutes went by and she appeared again with a lukewarm dessert. By this time it was so late we just ate it, along with our now less than hot chocolate. If I went back I wouldn't risk ordering from room service again.
Breakfast in the Die Kuche restaurant was amazing. A huge selection of hot and cold foods, and an unparalleled selection of fruit juices. We had dinner there on our second night, and had a really lovely meal with a very attentive waiter.
Third downside : When we sat down, there was one other table occupied. I ordered the ravioli, but the waiter returned and said sorry they had run out. Although the food I chose instead was nice, it seems that the restaurant doesn't make its own pasta for its dishes: and if they didn't have it at all, do they buy it in ready made???
Despite these silly things that would be so easy to fix, we had a great time and would certainly return.....but without ordering room service and quite possible not eating in the restaurant again.

Room Tip: This isn't a hotel with a view, so the room location isn't critical.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SarahCahill
Markus L, General Manager at Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Dear Guest,

we sincerely thank you for having taken the time to let us know about your recent stay at Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna.

I am indeed sorry to read that the quality of your stay was influenced by a number of service and communication deficiencies from our side. Our main intention is to make our guests’ stay as comfortable as possible whilst away from home.

As the manager of the hotel, I have indeed taken note of your comments with regards to room service and food at the restaurant "Die Küche". Please rest assured that the necessary actions will be made that such impressions will not reoccur.

It would be a great pleasure to welcome you soon again at Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna. We are convinced that next time we will be able to exceed your expectations.

With kind regards,
London
Reviewed 11 December 2013

This hotel so deserves it's rating as no.1 hotel in Vienna on trip advisor.
Our stay was perfect in every way and it's not often that one can say that about anywhere.
All the staff were brilliant, really helpful and charming and nothing was too much trouble, from printing our boarding passes to helping with restaurant bookings and advice on sightseeing.
Our room on the third floor was extremely comfortable and cosy, spotlessly clean, quiet and well sound proofed. Everything was provided that one could possibly want, even a nespresso machine. Lovely bathroom and good internet.
Breakfasts weren't cheap but worth every penny and they set you up for the whole day. There was so much choice, both hot and cold food, that it was difficult not to over indulge. Definitely not to be missed.
We were a little apprehensive when we booked as the hotel isn't right in the centre but we needn't have worried as it was very well situated for everything we did.
A really well run hotel and one of the best we have stayed in.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Malta
Reviewed 11 December 2013 via mobile

We just spent 5 nights in this hotel and it was great. The service of all the staff is amazing from check in, to the concierge, porters, waiters, everyone! The room is on the small side but very comfortable. Breakfast is also very good. Would def recommend!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SunnyRock
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 10 December 2013

We spent the past weekend here for my Birthday weekend and really enjoyed our stay. The room was lovely, the bathroom was AMAZING, the drinks were oh sooo good :) It is very expensive though, but we used my corporate rate which was about 40% cheaper, otherwise we wouldn't have stayed.

We had just a few complaints. The fire alarm went off at 1am one of the nights we were there. For 20 minutes straight. The fire department came, there were hotel workers and firemen running throughout the hallways. And yet they told us to stay in the room, that everything was fine. We didn't listen, just in case there was a fire. So we spent almost an hour in the hotel lobby (with 2 wrong shoes and jeans with pajamas) waiting for someone to tell us something. They never did. Next morning we asked and apparently someone's hair dryer set off the alarm on our floor (3). But it was just chaotic, but some actual information would have been nice.

Other than that, in order for it to be truly 5 star I would suggest they add a jacuzzi to their spa and maybe rethink all the digital buttons everywhere. It was difficult to get water temperature correct and I can imagine that someone like my grandmother wouldn't figure it out so easily. Additionally, the wine list in the restaurant was on an ipad, it was just too much. Although the in room iPad's were nice, however, it would have been nicer if they weren't locked so that you could actually use them for searching and maps at the same time.

Breakfast was great too, lots of options and champagne, fresh squeezed juice, etc. And we had dinner in their restaurant "Die Kuche" one night which was really really great! The food was amazing, the risotto was cooked perfectly and the schnitzel was probably the best I've ever had. Simple and yum! Plus we ordered an assortment of drinks-which were all superb (not too sweet, enough alcohol) and the wines from Austria that they recommended were surprisingly good.

Overall, luxurious experience, with just a few snags. And the service everywhere was impeccable, except the front desk and concierge, who were a bit rude to us about dinner recommendations, 2 nights in a row.

Recommendation for Vienna: Reserve any restaurant that you want to eat in at least 2 weeks in advance! NOTHING is available last minute unless you want McD's. And the staff wasn't very helpful at finding things last minute either, it was more like, "Well you should have booked earlier." That's great, I didn't, so does that mean I starve?

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Markus L, General Manager at Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear Guest,

many thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experience regarding your recent stay at Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay, but would like to use this opportunity as well to apologise for any inconvenience caused with regards to the handling of false-alarm.
Furthermore, your comments regarding our front desk team have been discussed with the Front Office Manager; as they usually get praise for their service orientation and attentiveness, we were surprised but have certainly taken the appropriate measures to ensure that this will not reoccur.

We would be delighted to welcome you again at Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna.

Best regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

This relatively new hotel is very stylish. The lobby area is comfortable and beautifully designed. Though the building is an old Palais that's been around for over 100 years and hosted city administration before it was turned into a hotel, the style of the interior is very contemporary. The combination of old and new was well done and is transferred into the rooms. Spacious bathrooms and cozy furniture make the stay very enjoyable. The entertainment system, which can but not necessarily has to be accessed via an iPad, is ok. The iPad also controls the lightning, but it is so slow that you inevitably get up and switch off the lights the old fashioned way, if you don't want to wait for a lifetime for the iPad to react. The location is not as central as some of the other luxury hotels, but it's not a big deal to get to the pedestrian zone, where all the touristy stuff can be found. I used to live in Vienna and I enjoy the 10 minutes walk to the pedestrian zone. Also, a bus leaves right around the corner of the hotel that takes you right to the inner city within 5 minutes.

So why don't I give 5 stars? The "downgrade" s solely owed to the service. It lacks attentiveness, charm, warmth, and to a certain extent professionalism. None of which are missed at hotels like the Sacher or the Imperial. At breakfast - which, by the way, is pretty good - I tried for over five minutes to get a second cappuccino. Without success, so I left. The newspaper I requested for the morning never made it to my room. I stayed for three days, and they could not get it right. At check in, I had to fill in my information again, though I had stayed at the hotel twice before. Hard to believe they did not have my information in the system. On my second stay at the Sacher, I was welcomed with the words "welcome back, we're very glad to have you again". Then, my key card did not work the elevator, and all the girl (yes, girl vs young woman) at the reception had to say was "oh, mmmhhhh, try this key". Really? No "I'm sorry for the inconvenience"? It should be noted that it seems that the majority of the staff is German, which, as such, is not a bad thing. I'm German, too. However, they serve the customers like you would expect it from a German. Very distant, hardly any smiling, no charm, always stick to the "manual". In a city like Vienna with such a high density of luxury hotels and a highly competitive market, the Kempinski will have to step up in terms of service. Other than that, a very nice hotel with much potential.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Markus L, General Manager at Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for taking the time to share with us your comments after your stay at Palais Hansen Kempinski Vienna.

I am very sorry to read that our service attentiveness was not appropriate and up to your expectations. It is our aim to continuously exceed our guests' expectations. Unfortunately, we were not able to do so during your stay with us.

I would hardly ask you to contact me directly at markus.lueck@kempinski.com, so that I can apologise in person.

Kind regards,
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 December 2013 via mobile

We recently spent a five day break here in Vienna. It was superb more than meeting our expectations. The friendly, helpful staff made our stay in the Kempinski memorable. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a fabulous meal in the Edvard restaurant, fine dining at its best. The rooms were spacious with every amenity and comfort you could think of. For a special treat which this was we enjoyed very minute.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple