“Ideal budget hotel in Vienna - everything you need to know”

Star Inn Hotel Wien Schonbrunn, by Comfort
Ranked #44 of 362 Hotels in Vienna
Toronto, Canada
“Ideal budget hotel in Vienna - everything you need to know”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

As a solo budget traveller I always look for certain features in my hotels: location with easy access to the main sights (but typically outside the core area), a safety deposit box, and a solid Trip Advisor rating. Star Inn Hotel Hotel Wien Schonbrunn had all these boxes checked; so I booked 3 nights here in mid-April.

Getting here from Wien Miedling train station couldn't be easier. It's only 2 stations away on the same subway line to Langenfeldenstrasse station. The hotel is directly across the street from the subway station. Just look across the underpass (a small flow of water from possibly a diverted river or former castle moat?) for the bright neon Star Inn sign.

This subway station is a hub connecting to 2 major subway lines. You are only 4 stops away from Karlsplatz station (i.e. the Vienna Opera house). From Karlsplatz you can either walk <10 minutes to St. Stephen's Cathedral (the city centre), or transfer subway lines and go 1 more station. In the opposite direction, you are only 2 stops away from Schonbrunn Palace - don't waste time walking there. I highly recommend buying an unlimited metro pass.

Check-in was exceptionally good. I arrived at the hotel at about 7:30pm on a Friday. Ceci checked me in within minutes and gave me some valuable tips. For dinner, she suggested Erni's next door or just to head downtown since the subways run 24/7 on Friday-Saturday. BTW, you are charged EUR 1.50 per night for room tax, which I paid in cash before I could get my room keycard. Ceci was very friendly - she greeted me by name each time I entered or exited the hotel.

The whole hotel has a modern, German-design feel with sleek lines and bright colours. The lobby is a great place to wait for your taxi or tour bus to arrive. There is a 24/7 bar/lounge area. The elevators and breakfast room have a cool design as well.

One thing that many reviewers have marked is the "new car" smell of the hallways. It is very strong and offensive. It's hard to describe the smell, but I'd call it "synthetic" like a freshly manufactured rubber or vinyl product. It's a real problem that the management should address with air fresheners or better ventilation. The lobby and breakfast floors do not have this odour; so clearly there is a way to solve this problem.

The bedroom itself is sleek and quite spacious with nice amenities: a double bed with firm mattress, 2 night tables; a desk unit with chair, a huge wall-mounted TV, a vinyl club chair and ottoman, a large wardrobe. There is plenty of room to store luggage. The curtains are entirely synthetic which I appreciate (better for people with allergies). The floor is a woodgrain laminate, even in the bathroom.

The bathroom is quite large with a plexiglass stand-up shower, large vanity with an interesting sink. Water temperature and pressure were good. I wasn't crazy about the liquid soap that the hotel provides ("Tricky Ricky" is also a strange brand name for such products.), but I had brought my own supplies anyway. The hotel provides 4 bath-size towels, but no smaller face towels or hand towels.

One criticism: I wasn't crazy about the shower stall design. Although it looks large, the protrusions of the shower door knobs and the water tap make it difficult to move in the shower without poking yourself, especially if you have to bend down. There is a soap dispenser in the shower, but no mounted soap dish or shelf. If you bring your own toiletries, you have to put them on the shower floor. I also found the shower a bit splashy. As soon as you open the shower doors, the water drips so fast from the plexiglass doors onto the bathroom floor that you waste multiple towels drying it up.

Ventilation and A/C are good, and street noise was not a problem (recall I was there on a weekend). There was some hallway noise from kids running around on occasion, but nothing late in the evening.

My room (#650) faced the street. I was there on a weekend; so there was no traffic, but I imagine it could get quite noisy during rush hour, as the road connects to the major highway. I would not say there was much of a view from my window.

The room serves its purpose: it's your base of operations as you explore the city, but it's not somewhere you want to spend the majority of your time. As for TV, the only English channel is CNN International, but there are a few music video channels and sports channels where language doesn't matter so much. I notice that most US shows are dubbed in German; sub-titles are rarely used.

As far as services go:

In addition to Ceci at the front desk, Silvia and Andreas were also very good. Everyone speaks perfect English. Silvia gave me a huge bag of ice from the bar (there are no ice machines for guests, nor fridges in the room). Andreas gave me some advice in planning my departure times.

Breakfast was not included in my room rate. It is a bit pricey at 12 Euros, but I did indulge on Sunday because many of the alternatives were closed. The buffet breakfast runs from 6:30-10:30am most days, until 11am on weekends. It is quite a nice breakfast room and buffet presentation, though. Each place setting comes with one huge plate. I only made one trip to the buffet (which was plenty) - I am not sure if multiple trips are allowed. The buffet has bread and rolls that can be toasted, a wide variety of small pastries and cakes, cold cuts, cheeses, smoked salmon, speck, salads, crudités, scrambled eggs, coffee/tea, juices, cereals, fresh fruit. I paid for the buffet in cash when I checked out.

There is a complimentary PC/business centre with free printing. Unlike most hotels, this PC is fast and uses Google Chrome. It's free internet access, but each customer has 60 minutes per session (which is very reasonable). I was able to print my pre-paid tickets to Schonbrunn Palace here, which was so convenient.

Although I prefer an in-room safe, Star Inn has the next-best thing: a dedicated room for individual safety-deposit boxes. I had no problems making multiple trips on the same day.

I would say housekeeping is only adequate. Wake-up calls were on time.

A few small items in the room that would be convenient if added: a small pad of paper and pen, face towels or hand towels, a clock (only the phone and TV display the time).

As far as local amenities go:

There is a Spar grocery store on the ground floor of the building. It is open 7:15am until about 6pm and as I recall, it is closed on Sundays (as many things are in Vienna). It is a great option for breakfast. They clearly cater to Star Inn guests: there are individual-sized fresh cut fruit, a great bakery, many beverages, a travel-sized toiletries section. I got a couple of fruit smoothies, a small strudel, and a portion of fresh pineapple for an economical breakfast. I also bought my souvenirs here: Mozartkugeln are available here in bigger sizes and at lower prices than the souvenir shops downtown. The staff is super-friendly and many have excellent English.

The nearby metro building (the exit further away from the hotel) has 2 meal options: 1) Strock bakery is open from 5:30am onward on weekdays (closed all weekend). They have nice coffees, breads, pastries, and sandwiches. 2) Turkis is a wonderful Turkish fast-food chain that serves tasty kebabs and noodle dishes. I especially loved the noodles with the chicken shawarma - a little salty and greasy (in a good way, especially late at night), but so tasty and burning-hot in temperature - a meal with soft drink is only 5 Euros.

Erni's is a little bistro next door. I went for dinner here one evening (see separate review). I'd say it's a safe bet if you are too tired to venture downtown, but it's not a destination.

Check-out was so easy. I left very early on Monday morning, emptied my safety-deposit box, paid for my one breakfast, and made my way to Wien Miedling Station to catch the airport bus to Vienna Airport.

All in all, this is a wonderful budget option. The terrifically low price justifies the extra 5-10 minutes travel time into downtown, and the service is terrific. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms face the street, which is noisier. Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank VinceBToronto_Canada
Sabine L, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Star Inn Hotel Wien Schonbrunn, by Comfort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Star Inn Hotel Wien Schönbrunn. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

& your Star Inn Hotel Wien Schönbrunn Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Berkshire
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We wanted a good for value place to stay in Vienna whilst there for 4 days. We needed to be reasonably close to all the highlights of the city and couldn't have chosen better.
The Schonbrunn Palace is very close by and easily reached by the city's very good Metro system which is the best way to get around town cheaply. The rooms were very clean and modern which is what you would expect from a very recently built hotel. The staff are helpful, friendly and un-failingly courteous. Although situated on a main road there was no noise once you shut the excellent double glazed windows. The weedy air con system was Ok but not sure it would cope that well in the middle of a hot summer. Breakfast is extra at 12e per person but there is plenty of choice and should fill you until dinner. If you need something for lunch a little tip: Go to the SPA shop next door and for a couple of Euros they will provide a bread roll filled with lovely local cheese and ham (or any other filling from the Deli counter which takes your fancy!) which does the job nicely.
When we flew in we purchased from the Airport Info desk City-Airport Train (CAT) return tickets to get to and from the city and the journey takes only 16mins. We also purchased 72hr Vienna Cards which entitles you to travel on metro trains and buses during that time. Once validated you never need produce it again as there are no metro barriers and no staff that we saw. No doubt there are random checks but we never saw anyone being stopped. The Vienna card is also good for discounts at certain attractions, restaurants etc but make sure you either carry both the card and the supporting book or tear out the coupons relevant to the discounts you are after.
Very close to the hotel was Ernie's a restaurant/bar that was cheerful and welcoming and where you could eat typically Austrian food that was generous and very reasonably priced, especially handy if you arrived late and cannot be bothered to go searching elsewhere. All in all we have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: We found the rooms with Queen/King bed to be fine and the best value.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sabine L, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Star Inn Hotel Wien Schonbrunn, by Comfort, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Star Inn Hotel Wien Schönbrunn. We are happy that you were very satisfied with our location and that you
had a good holiday in Vienna.
It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback

Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Windows that open - awesome fresh air. No street noise when the are closed.
WiFi signal was strong and reliable in room. Front desk always acknowledged patrons each time they entered or left the lobby. Can't beat the rates for a place this clean and new.

Helpful front desk suggested Erni's for a meal - breakfast, lunch or dinner. Great find, affordable and so tasty with a location 1/2 block away. See other TA reviews.

Only thing missing was the fridge! We felt bad always having to ask for ice from the bar. Hotel commented that fridges will be installed soon.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Straight_Forward
Sabine L, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Star Inn Hotel Wien Schonbrunn, by Comfort, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your words of praise. The whole team was very happy that we have prepared you a nice stay.
We always strive to offer our guests the best service and your feed back shows us that we are on the right track.
We hope you had a nice trip home and keep Vienna and the Star Inn Hotel Wien Schönbrunn in good memory.

Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

The hotel is perfectly located on the U4 line of the Metro 12 minutes from city center. The Vienna Metro is wonderful. You can get everywhere. The room is clean large and the staff speaks English and is very informed . If they do not know they look it up. The price is very reasonable and a great value. I highly recommend this hotel as a no frills great priced perfectly located hotel

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Bonarrigo
s_lugstein, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Star Inn Hotel Wien Schonbrunn, by Comfort, responded to this review, 9 April 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for choosing our hotel.
We are happy that you were very satisfied with our location our price
and that you had a good holiday in Vienna.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon in our Hotel.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 April 2014

We got a deal while booking, so the room we got was a great value. It was large, comfy, with a great balcony to lounge on. Sometimes, we'd just sit out there and chat since the weather was great. The TV was bigger than usual. It only had 2 English-speaking channels, but I find Europe LOVES dubbing over everything. The staff was always friendly, greeting us everyday with big smiles. The cleaning staff is VERY thorough. The wi-fi is strong. We're heavy internet users, so we did have to remember to reconnect the internet every so often, but it wasn't a big deal. The metro station Langenfeldgasse is right across the street and the supermarket is next to the hotel. So, it's easy to get to and from all the train stations also (we went to Westbahnhof & Meidling train stations, both of which have metro stops right there). Also, Schonbrunn Palace is within 15 min walking distance (we walk slowly). However, the location is not really nearby most of the other sights many tourists like to see in Vienna. And Vienna is expensive, so we definitely spent quite a lot on public transportation. And there's not a whole lot of decently-priced restaurants nearby, so we ate a lot of peanut-butter sandwiches in our hotel room when we got hungry late at night. Otherwise, a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: We got a top floor room, quiet & had a great view from the balcony.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
s_lugstein, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Star Inn Hotel Wien Schonbrunn, by Comfort, responded to this review, 3 April 2014

& Your Star Inn Hotel Schönbrunn Team
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed 30 March 2014

My husband and I spent 8 nights at the Star Inn Hotel Wien Schonbrunn for our anniversary. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. Our flight arrived in the morning and we were pleasantly surprised to find that we were able to check in early. Our room was clean and comfortable. The hotel is across the street from the metro station making it easy to get to the city center in minutes. Although the rooms are not equipped with mini bars there is a grocery store located on the first floor making it easy to stock up on water, wine and snacks for the room. Overall, we had a wonderful time and would stay again if we ever have the opportunity to visit Vienna. It's a beautiful city!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you for choosing our hotel.
We are happy that you were very satisfied with our hotel, location and our staff and that you
had a good holiday in Vienna.
Good news for you, in July, all rooms equipped with a refrigerator, so you can enjoy cold drinks.
We are looking forward to welcome you back soon in our Hotel.
Grasse, France
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Actually i grew up in that part of Vienna but left Austria many years ago. Coming back and staying in a Hotel feels a bit strange - but then i know the area very well.
This Hotel is very recent and everything inside feels and looks modern and clean. Room size is very good and free Wi-Fi is provided. The Hotel has a very good strategic position for tourists since it is just a few steps away from one of the major subway lines, connecting to the top tourist sites in Vienna (Schoenbrunn and the center of Vienna) within a few minutes of journey. The area around is not very prestigious but there is a police station just around the corner - so it is safe. Only reason the Hotel is kind of a "budget Hotel" is the main Road in-front of the Hotel which has heavy traffic from early morning onwards until around 23:00. So if you dislike car noise it may not be your choice - if you don't mind this, it is one of the most convenient Hotels you can find in Vienna. There are not many good restaurants around the area b.t.w. but then again - from the center of Vienna to the Hotel you take a 15 minutes journey with Subway.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear valued guest,
thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us.
It is very encouraging to read that we where able to provide a nice stay for you and especially that you found our team very friendly.
A tip for you, half of our rooms look out onto a quiet leafy courtyard garden. Please order when booking.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Star Inn Hotel Wien Schönbrunn.
With kind regards