“Close to metro station”

Ranked #43 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Hong Kong, China
“Close to metro station”
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in Star Inn in mid-April 2014. The hotel is just opposite to the metro station, Längenfeldgasse, which is 1 station away from Westbahnhof and 2 stations away from Meidling. The room is large and the wifi is very stable. There is a large supermarket at G/F, where you can buy snacks for your trip :D. the only cons is that the 3 lifts are located at one end of the building, if you live in the other end, it will cost you several minutes to reach the lift. Anyway, it is recommended to those budget travellers.

Room Tip: better to request those near the lift
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChrisLProf
Sabine L, Leiter Gästebetreuung at Star Inn Hotel Wien Schonbrunn, by Comfort, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear Chris,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Star Inn Hotel Wien Schönbrunn. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

& your Star Inn Hotel Wien Schönbrunn Team

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Good location near the subway stop. Clean. Quiet. Modern design. New building. New furniture. Big room. Friendly staff. They did not charge a lot of money in late minute booking. In the same building, there is a big super market. No refrigerator in the room. I definately recomend it!.

Dear Aris,
thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your recent stay with us.
It is very encouraging to read that we where able to provide a perfect stay for you and especially that you found our team very friendly.
The good news, in July we get in all rooms a refrigerator.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back to the Star Inn Hotel Wien Schönbrunn.
With kind regards
Lincolnshire
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

The hotel has a number of advantages, mainly due to its location opposite an underground station and it's proximity to the schonbrunn palace, only a short walk away. Other than that, it is a fairly soulless place in a functional building. We didn't pay for breakfast and so I can't comment but there is a large Spar shop beneath the hotel. As a sightseer you spend most of your time in the town and so in a sense, the lack of individuality about the place doesn't matter too much!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Normally one of my first criteria in selecting a hotel is that it is 'central' so it was with some trepidation that I decided to stay in this hotel.

I needn't have been concerned. For the price paid the hotel was excellent. Rooms are brand new, extremely clean and a good size.

Staff on the front desk were extremely helpful. The hotel is a bit of a no frills affair but still well above what you would expect at this price point.

In terms of convenience it is only a few minutes away from the subway, which is extremely easy to use, and only a few stations away from the centre of town. It is also only a couple of stops from the Schonbrunn Palace. There is a supermarket on the corner of the hotel which is handy.

I arrived from the airport by train and had no issues in getting to the hotel.

Wifi coverage was excellent. I did not eat at the hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Espresso74
Dear Guest,
thank you for choosing our hotel.
We are happy that you were very satisfied with our location and that you
had a good holiday in Vienna.
We will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon in our Hotel.

Brooklyn
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I didn't mind this hotel. It was new and close to mass transit. It's more soul-less than modern, but it's clean and inexpensive. After two days in a room approaching eighty degrees, though, I asked the desk clerk what was up with the air conditioning. It's only turned on in summer, she said, and then she told me to open a window.

I followed her advice, and awoke the next morning surrounded by bugs. As I squashed them into the curtains, later trying to wash out the blood, I realized I'd been screwed. I asked to speak to a manager, and was told no one is available on Saturday or Sunday.

That's right. In a block-long hotel.

I'm startled that a hotel can get away with lying about their ameniities, and the online travel websites won't do anything to stop it. As far as I'm concerned, they might as well claim they have a fitness center, and when you ask about it, the desk clerk will say, "Go do push-ups in your room." Amenities as well as integrity go into my hotel choice, which means I won't stay at a Star Inn Hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank RomanHans1
Dieter L, Manager at Star Inn Hotel Wien Schonbrunn, by Comfort, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Guest,
at the beginning of May, in Vienna the daily maximum temperatures 25 degrees and at night 15 degrees Celsius.
Sincerely
Dieter Lugstein
Vice President Operations
Star Inn Hotels, Austria & Hungary
Rome
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was looking (as usual) for a good quality hotel not too expensive and conveniently located. After some research, I chose the Star Inn and I was not wrong. Let's start with the building. It seems relatively new or renovated, quite big and easily accessible, plus you have a small supermarket in the same building at ground level so if you need to buy food it's literally round the corner. Let's continue with the rooms. These are actually very good considering the hotel is a 3 star (or 3 and half, don't remember). I was seriously very well impressed. Bathroom small but you really had everything you need with a convenient shower box. Room not so small in the end, comfortable and very quiet. Breakfast was quite good, with a lot of choices. And lastly probably the most important plus of the hotel. The location. Just in front of the
Längenfeldgasse U Bahn station where you have two lines (U4 and U6) to reach any other area of the city very quickly. "In front" means you literally walk out of the hotel, then go left or right, cross the road and you are at the station, 2 minutes or so.
Moreover Schonbrunn is very close on subway, just a few stations away.
So, a very good choice and value for a few days in Vienna.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,
thank you for choosing our hotel.
We are happy that you were very satisfied with our hotel and location and that you
had a good holiday in Vienna.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon in our Hotel.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

As a solo budget traveller I always look for certain features in my hotels: location with easy access to the main sights (but typically outside the core area), a safety deposit box, and a solid Trip Advisor rating. Star Inn Hotel Hotel Wien Schonbrunn had all these boxes checked; so I booked 3 nights here in mid-April.

Getting here from Wien Miedling train station couldn't be easier. It's only 2 stations away on the same subway line to Langenfeldenstrasse station. The hotel is directly across the street from the subway station. Just look across the underpass (a small flow of water from possibly a diverted river or former castle moat?) for the bright neon Star Inn sign.

This subway station is a hub connecting to 2 major subway lines. You are only 4 stops away from Karlsplatz station (i.e. the Vienna Opera house). From Karlsplatz you can either walk <10 minutes to St. Stephen's Cathedral (the city centre), or transfer subway lines and go 1 more station. In the opposite direction, you are only 2 stops away from Schonbrunn Palace - don't waste time walking there. I highly recommend buying an unlimited metro pass.

Check-in was exceptionally good. I arrived at the hotel at about 7:30pm on a Friday. Ceci checked me in within minutes and gave me some valuable tips. For dinner, she suggested Erni's next door or just to head downtown since the subways run 24/7 on Friday-Saturday. BTW, you are charged EUR 1.50 per night for room tax, which I paid in cash before I could get my room keycard. Ceci was very friendly - she greeted me by name each time I entered or exited the hotel.

The whole hotel has a modern, German-design feel with sleek lines and bright colours. The lobby is a great place to wait for your taxi or tour bus to arrive. There is a 24/7 bar/lounge area. The elevators and breakfast room have a cool design as well.

One thing that many reviewers have marked is the "new car" smell of the hallways. It is very strong and offensive. It's hard to describe the smell, but I'd call it "synthetic" like a freshly manufactured rubber or vinyl product. It's a real problem that the management should address with air fresheners or better ventilation. The lobby and breakfast floors do not have this odour; so clearly there is a way to solve this problem.

The bedroom itself is sleek and quite spacious with nice amenities: a double bed with firm mattress, 2 night tables; a desk unit with chair, a huge wall-mounted TV, a vinyl club chair and ottoman, a large wardrobe. There is plenty of room to store luggage. The curtains are entirely synthetic which I appreciate (better for people with allergies). The floor is a woodgrain laminate, even in the bathroom.

The bathroom is quite large with a plexiglass stand-up shower, large vanity with an interesting sink. Water temperature and pressure were good. I wasn't crazy about the liquid soap that the hotel provides ("Tricky Ricky" is also a strange brand name for such products.), but I had brought my own supplies anyway. The hotel provides 4 bath-size towels, but no smaller face towels or hand towels.

One criticism: I wasn't crazy about the shower stall design. Although it looks large, the protrusions of the shower door knobs and the water tap make it difficult to move in the shower without poking yourself, especially if you have to bend down. There is a soap dispenser in the shower, but no mounted soap dish or shelf. If you bring your own toiletries, you have to put them on the shower floor. I also found the shower a bit splashy. As soon as you open the shower doors, the water drips so fast from the plexiglass doors onto the bathroom floor that you waste multiple towels drying it up.

Ventilation and A/C are good, and street noise was not a problem (recall I was there on a weekend). There was some hallway noise from kids running around on occasion, but nothing late in the evening.

My room (#650) faced the street. I was there on a weekend; so there was no traffic, but I imagine it could get quite noisy during rush hour, as the road connects to the major highway. I would not say there was much of a view from my window.

The room serves its purpose: it's your base of operations as you explore the city, but it's not somewhere you want to spend the majority of your time. As for TV, the only English channel is CNN International, but there are a few music video channels and sports channels where language doesn't matter so much. I notice that most US shows are dubbed in German; sub-titles are rarely used.

As far as services go:

In addition to Ceci at the front desk, Silvia and Andreas were also very good. Everyone speaks perfect English. Silvia gave me a huge bag of ice from the bar (there are no ice machines for guests, nor fridges in the room). Andreas gave me some advice in planning my departure times.

Breakfast was not included in my room rate. It is a bit pricey at 12 Euros, but I did indulge on Sunday because many of the alternatives were closed. The buffet breakfast runs from 6:30-10:30am most days, until 11am on weekends. It is quite a nice breakfast room and buffet presentation, though. Each place setting comes with one huge plate. I only made one trip to the buffet (which was plenty) - I am not sure if multiple trips are allowed. The buffet has bread and rolls that can be toasted, a wide variety of small pastries and cakes, cold cuts, cheeses, smoked salmon, speck, salads, crudités, scrambled eggs, coffee/tea, juices, cereals, fresh fruit. I paid for the buffet in cash when I checked out.

There is a complimentary PC/business centre with free printing. Unlike most hotels, this PC is fast and uses Google Chrome. It's free internet access, but each customer has 60 minutes per session (which is very reasonable). I was able to print my pre-paid tickets to Schonbrunn Palace here, which was so convenient.

Although I prefer an in-room safe, Star Inn has the next-best thing: a dedicated room for individual safety-deposit boxes. I had no problems making multiple trips on the same day.

I would say housekeeping is only adequate. Wake-up calls were on time.

A few small items in the room that would be convenient if added: a small pad of paper and pen, face towels or hand towels, a clock (only the phone and TV display the time).

As far as local amenities go:

There is a Spar grocery store on the ground floor of the building. It is open 7:15am until about 6pm and as I recall, it is closed on Sundays (as many things are in Vienna). It is a great option for breakfast. They clearly cater to Star Inn guests: there are individual-sized fresh cut fruit, a great bakery, many beverages, a travel-sized toiletries section. I got a couple of fruit smoothies, a small strudel, and a portion of fresh pineapple for an economical breakfast. I also bought my souvenirs here: Mozartkugeln are available here in bigger sizes and at lower prices than the souvenir shops downtown. The staff is super-friendly and many have excellent English.

The nearby metro building (the exit further away from the hotel) has 2 meal options: 1) Strock bakery is open from 5:30am onward on weekdays (closed all weekend). They have nice coffees, breads, pastries, and sandwiches. 2) Turkis is a wonderful Turkish fast-food chain that serves tasty kebabs and noodle dishes. I especially loved the noodles with the chicken shawarma - a little salty and greasy (in a good way, especially late at night), but so tasty and burning-hot in temperature - a meal with soft drink is only 5 Euros.

Erni's is a little bistro next door. I went for dinner here one evening (see separate review). I'd say it's a safe bet if you are too tired to venture downtown, but it's not a destination.

Check-out was so easy. I left very early on Monday morning, emptied my safety-deposit box, paid for my one breakfast, and made my way to Wien Miedling Station to catch the airport bus to Vienna Airport.

All in all, this is a wonderful budget option. The terrifically low price justifies the extra 5-10 minutes travel time into downtown, and the service is terrific. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms face the street, which is noisier. Higher floors are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo