“Convenient modern hotel very close to Vienna International Centre”
Review of Melia Vienna

Melia Vienna
Ranked #54 of 358 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 12 March 2014

The hotel has just opened. The reception lobby on lower ground floor is rather bare. Tour brochures were not prominently displayed but given by concierge. The staff seemed a little overwhelmed. Getting through to reception from the room was impossible. The phone extensions to housekeeping, concierge did not work and had to call reception. The room I got was very nice overlooking the Danube and office blocks, with floor to ceiling windows. You get a good view from the lifts as well. Unlike the city center, the area is rather quiet at night, but still safe to walk to the U station. Taxis were easily available next to the U station. Breakfast is very good. Service is usually good, but a few staff seemed inexperienced.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank zest55
Florian_FA, Manager at Melia Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Dear zest55,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. We are very happy to read that you had a good time. I am very sorry to hear that you had problems with your Telephone. We will look into it straight away!
We hope we can welcome you back in the future

Florian Augustin
Guest Experience Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,989)

Reviewed 9 March 2014

First of all I would like to say that we travel the world more than average traveler and this is first tome to stay at new hotel.
the location was great only 300 meters from U-Bhan
I was writing to the hotel prior to our arrival that we are celebrating our anniversary and ask for room at high floor at the Danube view, the hotel confirm our email but someone forgot to assign our room on high floor.
The hotel was open only two weeks before our stay and you can defiantly felt this.
Rooms was really big but the door didn’t close well at the beginning se they send a technetium to fix it.
The bath was really large and the rain shower was really nice.
Breakfast was really good with match variety to choose small cons we asked for a banana to our baby they said that they didn’t have one for us. I was expecting from hotel at 2014 to hold a banana at their fridge.
Service was quite slow and felt no so professional perhaps because of the lately opening of the hotel and will improve later.
All too all nice experience hopes that for next time they will improve their service.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank tp535
Florian_FA, Manager at Melia Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Dear User tp535,

Thank you very much for your nice comment on Tripadvisor. We appreciate the points mentionend in your post. I am also very sorry for not having the room you wished for ready at arrival. We usually have bananas available, I am very sorry that in your case there where none available.
We are very much looking forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 9 March 2014 via mobile

Very nice rooms
The worst costumer service. You can't reach the main office EVER. The only resturant there really smells bad maybe due to bad ventalation . Maybe because it is new but really very disappointing. Location is excellent if you are coming to Vienna Center.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank AAtari

Dear User aaa1123,

Thank you very much for your review. We are very sorry that you experienced problems with the telephone system. We have addressed the issue and have found a solution. Thank you for pointing out our great location, we are indeed only 7 minutes away from the city center by metro.

We would love to welcome you back.

Reviewed 8 March 2014

Plus: Spacious and modern rooms, close to the public transport, good breakfast, nice bar/restaurant, quiet, some friendly staff.
Minus: some arrogant staff, reception almost unreachable by phone, bar/restaurant closed two days a week, poor room service menu, room not totally clean and not ready ( coffee but no sugar, no hotel description, no room service menu ...)

A new hotel missing the right staff.

To be improved!!!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Audrey_BonvinDechoux

Dear User Olivier Audrey D,
Thank you very much for your comment on Tripadvisor.
We are taking all your points very seriously and have informed the concerned departments. We have had the chance to improve on the mentioned points a lot in the last week and sincerely hope you will visit us again. We are also sorry that the “57 Restaurant & Lounge” is closed on Sundays and Monday, we offer as an alternative our Flow Bar and Restaurant (open from Monday to Sunday from 06:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.).
Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I was keen to be able to book this hotel, as the opening was postponed several times, but fortunately at this trip to Vienna I could stay here and check by myself the "tallest Melia hotel".
Unfortunatelly the photos and the publicity is a bit misleading. The hotel occupies just the first 15 floors of the 57 in total. Normally the hotels would go for the top floors....but this is not the case.
It is difficult to find if you do not know the building. No signs around and only when in front of the bar (the main entry is from the lower street level), there is a small sign Melia....and then you have to walk throug the bar to the lower level for the reception.
I checked in after 1300h, as I advised but my room was not ready. Why on earth would they assign that room in an empty hotel? I was told it would be ready in 10 mins, but was not. After more than half an hour I was given the key card and escorted to my room on the 9th floor. I asked for the view and the highest floor possible and did not get any of those, but the room was 5*. Perfect and super large king bed, the lighting and design was top class. The barthroom was black and perfect, also the walk in shower, but felt the shower head did not provide enough water.
The TV was big enough to be able to watch it from the sofa, but the choice of tv channels was poor. Lots of german (repeated) channels and only 1 in spanish (CUBAN!!! TV) Being in a Melia hotel chain, I would expect at least 3 local TV options. No sports whatsoever.

The hotel is working at half gas only. The business centre nor the spa are open, The Level lounge is under construction and will not be ready for at least 5 months!!!? So my expectations of enjoying this nice and super new hotel vanished from the moment I found out about it!
The check in was slow and rather impersonal. All the staff there were lost, not proactive, slow and not delivering the service that one would expect from that kind of property. No information given about the hotel, nor the famous 57th floor which I discovered by chance.
Breakfast was served on the mezzanine and was very good. Beautifully prepared and presented, however the schrambled eggs were horrible. The staff again, a little confused and did not greet not checked the guests´ needs. Nobody asked me if I wanted a coffee or if I needed anything else.

The 57th floor is a chapter apart. It is a bar/restaurant open from 1600 and you have to access it through a special entry and take a direct elevator. The access is controlled and it seems all the locals and other tourist want to see the city from the top. When checking out, a huge queue and lot of fuss going on at the entrance. Maybe they would need to limit the access to non-hotel guests and charge the entry fee. Besides I believe they should open a different door for the non-residents.

The check out was a mess, slow, errors on billings, no receipt, no credit card copy...It seems the staff is confused and do not know how the system works. But I was promissed the bill would be send by email.

Being a Platinum Melia member, I was not recognised a little extra and could not enjoy the hotel facilities as I would have if all the departmens had opened on time.

Room Tip: Wait at least 5 months to book, when everything is working!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Ludwig70

Dear Ludwig70,

Thank you very much for your great feedback.
We have already addressed the issue of poor signage and hope we have found a good solution.
We are also very sorry for not having your room ready upon arrival. We do hope the room made up for it.
I have also addressed the shower issue to our maintenance department. Also the TV channel menu is in the process of being changed and will offer a more international selection of channels.
We have now already opened our fitness centre and business Centre.
We are doing ongoing trainings with our front office staff. Thank you for pointing this out.

We do hope we can welcome you back to our beautiful hotel. We appreciate your comments very much and will act accordingly.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

Last week I had to fly to Vienna for business trip and I stayed at Melia Vienna. I found a very interesting offer because of the openning and I took the risk once again.
IT DESERVES IT!!! I love it.
It is the tallest tower in the city and from my room, on the 10th floor, I can enjoy one of the best sunrise I've ever seen. Vienna was just under my feet!!
Comfortable room, with all technical gaps, good shower and incredible views from 57th floor where I had breakfast. Just unbelievable!!
The hotel just opened, so there are always space to improve, but I have a great experience and I will return soon
Fully recomend it!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank CVB-D

Dear CVB-D,

Thank you very much for your great comments!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

We've spent there 3 days and we were not only impressed by the looks and design of the hotel and rooms but also the service was very nice and warm. The room was really beautiful and modernly decorated and the views were astonishing.
Its really worth the experience!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BEAISI

Dear BEAISI,

Thank you very much for kind comments. We appreciate your review very much.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.