“Modern hotel with stunning view from the 58th floor”
Review of Melia Vienna

Melia Vienna
Ranked #53 of 361 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Located in the tallest building of Vienna till the15th floor, the quit new hotel offered a stylish, well equipped superior room with a great bathroom including floor heating.
All amnetities, as a Nespresso machine, mini bar, excellent wifi conncetion, bathrobe, slipper and so on where available.
Breakfast offer was great too.
The only tricky thing is the access to the resraturant and bar/lounge as there is no direct access from the guest elevators, but only by a separate reception desk at the groundfloor which is one level up from the hotel reception.
The price value ratio is excellent

Room Tip: Superior room at the 14th floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael S
Florian_FA, Manager at Melia Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Michael S,

Thank you for your fabulous review on Tripadvisor. I have shared your nice comments with the whole team. I hope I can welcome you back soon.

kInd regards,

There are newer reviews for Melia Vienna

Reviewed 20 May 2014

An excellent, clean and modern hotel with very good facilities. The room was very well kept, and the view was tremendous. Another strong point of the hotel is that the staff are very friendly and very helpful. It's very close to the station, and you can be in central vienna within 10 to 15 minutes.

Like other guests, I did find the entrance very difficult to find, and feel there could be clearer signs in the area.

The only other downside was the false fire alarm in the early hours of the morning during my stay I wasn't particularly happy about having to exit my room at 5am and walk down 14 flights of stairs. My one complaint is that I felt this wasn't handled very well, as I had no idea where to go once outside, and only discovered it wasn't an issue once I had asked someone at the front desk in the lobby.

Other than that, I can't complain. I was very happy with my stay, and would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Florian_FA, Manager at Melia Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 22 May 2014

Dear Gary 156,
Thank you for your great comment on Tripadvisor. We appreciate your nice words very much!

We are still working on optimizing our signage in the surrounding area.
I am also terribly sorry for the inconvenience caused by the false fire alarm early morning. We have taken this incident very seriously and already updated our protocol in case of an emergency. I can guarantee you that this was a one-time only event.
I am very much looking forward to having you here again and am happy to assist with any reservation requests.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

We recently returned from this hotel after a long weekend in Vienna. As other reviewers have noted it can be tricky to find the entrance. As in an business area atmosphere or even a café open for breakfast can be tricky. The room was pleasant and roomy with a fantastic view. The housekeeping needs further experience. The room's toiletries had not been checked before we arrived (bottles were not full and the grooming kit incomplete). On the second evening we were out of the nespresso capsules for the room's machine and nearly out of bathroom toiletries, rang down twice to reception after they were not stocked up by housekeeping - we were told things would be sorted - and then my husband had to go to reception to request the items (shortly after we received the capsules but not the toiletries). The following day we made it really obvious the toiletries needed stocked (turned upside the empty bottles in the sink and left open the grooming kit) - when we returned to our room everything was well stocked up. But yet again the capsules were not stocked, this time we e-mailed reception and things were quickly resolved. The Flow Bar and Restaurant, and its service, good but you could not eat there every night. Really on Sundays you have to go into Vienna to eat, as it is either the Flow Bar & Restaurant or nothing in that area. It was a pleasant stay in the hotel but it is still early days with a relatively young staff base. Most of the staff we came into contact with were pleasant, although we did bump into a manager who did not smile at any guests.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Claire M,

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor. I appreciate your nice words about our rooms and the beautiful view. The team of the Flow Bar & Restaurant thank you for the nice comment as well.

I take your complaint very seriously and have already discussed it with the departments involved. It does in no mean reflect the high standards we have in our hotel. I am very sorry that this caused you so much inconvenience and that you had to personally attend to reception to receive the amenities. My executive housekeeper has already revised our standards with the whole team.

I still hope we can welcome you back to Meliá Vienna and I would love to assist with any further reservation requests.

Reviewed 17 May 2014

I stayed here for one night recently. I travel to Vienna regularly and usually stay at the Marriott on Ringstrasse. As I regularly use Melia Hotels in Germany and am a member of Melia Rewards I decided to try this reasonably new hotel out. Overall I was disappointed - the hotel fell below my expectations and really disappointed me in two key areas.

- Woken by False Fire Alarm at 5.40am and subsequent poor communication
We were woken from a sound sleep at 5.40am by an emergency announcement, constantly repeating telling us to evacuate the building. This went on for a good 10 minutes. I phoned the reception, they told me it was "probably" a false alarm, they were investigating. People were evacuating. I phoned back, I was told it was a false alarm. No apology was proactively offered on check-out for this experience, so eventually I asked the receptionist about it. He gave a very long excuse about it being a commercial building and the issue arising from an office, but very little by way of apology. I got the impression this was a regular ocurance and clearly were not bothered by it anymore, why should the guests be? It was handled very badly - not good enough and not the standard I have come to expect from Melia.

- No restaurant open on Sunday Night - Lobby Bar or Room Service only. Even the staff in the lobby bar advised me to order room service if we wanted a proper meal. Nothing was open in vicinity of the hotel either. After a long journey - and only at 8.30pm, for a leading hotel this was not really what I expect.

Otherwise, the rooms are nicely designed and the breakfast service very good, but neither matter at all when the basics are not in place (having a good nights peaceful sleep and a restaurant serving dinner). Sadly a case of style over substance.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shamrock104

Dear Shamrock104

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor. We take your complaint very seriously.
I want to apologize for the inconveniences caused by the false fire alarm. We have taken this incident as an incentive to revisit our protocol for emergency situations and have already done intensive trainings with all members of staff. We have enforced the importance of handling these situations in the last weeks and I am sure that your situation will remain a one-time event only. I am also very sorry for not being offered a sincere apology from our staff. We have definitely not handled the situation in the best way possible. I can guarantee you one thing however, this was a one-time only occurrence.

I have also spoken to our Food and Beverage manager and we are sorry for the poor communication of our staff concerning our restaurant on Sunday night. We offer the full Flow Restaurant and Bar menu for guests on Sunday and Monday night. We will talk to each member of staff again to ensure that they are aware of what is offered when.

Thank you for pointing out our great breakfast and wonderful rooms.

Reviewed 14 May 2014

I had looked forward to staying at the Melia whilst on business at the VIC. Whilst the hotel itself, in particular the rooms, I couldn't help but notice some fundamental flaws with the experience I received.
Before my gripe I must say that the rooms were beautiful, the bedding comfortable, the bathrooms inviting and the whole place was very clean. It did tai me some time to find that there were blinds for the windows and spent my first two nights waking up to the light.
My gripe - There was a 5am emergency drill for which the hotel evacuated on my first night. I was not so much put out by the drill itself but the lack of hotel staff engagement with the guests. When we emerged from the fire escape outside into the morning cold there was no-body there to give instructions. Staff could be seen in the breakfast area setting up the tables - an obvious hint that this was no real emergency - but positively ignored us outside. Then when we got to reception and waited around for a while some guts asked in German if they could leave and swiftly got in a lift. This is not to say the staff were unpleasant - on the contrary, they were all nice. On this occasion, however, directions were poorly communicated to the rest of the guests.

Room Tip: Rooms flood with light in the morning but note that there are blinds you can draw down.
Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank BusinessTravellingLo

Dear BusinessTravellingLo,

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed the rooms and where happy with the positive attitude of our staff. I am sorry that you were not informed about the blinds, I will remind my colleagues from reception to not forget this information when checking in a guest.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

I stayed frm sunday to monday and was more than surprised to find out that all restaurants are closed on sundays. I was left with the choice of the snack menue at the bar or room service. I choose a club sandwich which was one of the worst i ever had. The bread was really dry and the chicken not tender. The highlight were the french fries. Rooms are ok but if you are going for black fittings, you just see the dust about everywhere. The whole room was dusty. To top it off, there was an emergency evacuation on monday at 0530. Fortunately an error but i just wonder how the staff would hv handled a real emergency since the didnt even handle the false emergency.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank RolandZug

Dear RolandZug,

Thank you for your comment on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry to hear that you were not happy with our Club sandwich. I have forwarded your complaint to our executive Chef and he promised to personally follow up on the problem. I am very disappointed to hear that you felt the room was too dusty. This is definitely not the standard we have here at the Meliá Vienna.

I also want to apologize for the inconveniences caused by the false fire alarm. We have taken this incident as an incentive to revisit our protocol for emergency situations and have already done intensive trainings with all members of staff. We have enforced the importance of handling these situations in the last weeks and I am sure that your situation will remain a one-time event only.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

A newly opened hotel which is superbly appointed with excellent staff

Stayed in a level room (919) with a dual aspect view

Similar to other melia hotels

small but perfectly adequate gym

some areas of the hotel are still to be completed which will make it even better

very convenient for the Vienna International conference centre - I had booked this hotel thinking my conference was being held there (but it was actually at another venue - at messe conference centre - easily acceptable by underground)

Ate twice in the bar area as the weather was terrible and meals were very good

I accidentally left my bag in the taxi that took me to the airport - so I'd like to thank marieke schubert - who managed to not only locate my bag but managed to get my bag back to me and I still managed to get my flight.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and bright
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Florian_FA, Manager at Melia Vienna, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear talataziz,
Thank you for this wonderful review. We are very honored to receive such a great comment. Also many thanks for mentioning the effort from my colleague. It is our number one priority to assist all guests, even if they have already left the hotel.
I hope we can welcome you back in the near future.