“Excellent Hotel”

Ranked #52 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Somerset, New Jersey
“Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We stayed here for one day during our Austria trip. Beautiful building. Rooms are of high quality and with all modern amenities. This is a new building. On the bank of Danube. Great views from the room which has floor to ceiling windows. There is a restaurant on 57th floor and a bar on 58th. This I believe is the tallest one in all of Austria. Outstanding views. Service was absolutely great. Concierge ( I believe his name is Camille) was very helpful. A little away from city but very close to train station. Would want to go back there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Anand K,

Thank you for a great review on Tripadvisor. You are right, we are the tallest building in Austria. I have shared your review with the whole team and we appreciate it very much (especially Camille, the concierge).

We are looking forward to your next stay.

Guest Experience Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Stayed at the Melia Vienna for a conference recently. The hotel was ideally located for the conference which was at the Austria Center; maybe not the best location for the tourist because it is slightly away from the center. Great rooms with outstanding views; floor to ceiling windows all around. Very modern decor. Service was first rate - i was having difficulty finding the entrance (was driving) and the concierge came out to meet me!! Outstanding restaurant on 57th floor (tallest building by far in Vienna)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear FrequentFlyerCalgary,
Thank you so much for this great comment on Tripadvisor. The team appreciated your nice words very much! Our goal is to provide a service that goes beyond that of a regular hotel. It is nice to read that you experienced this.

Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back very soon!

Spring
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Here for a conference. Hotel is far from anything to do. Not many restaurants to choose from. Subway is nearby, which was the only nice attribute. Last but not least, I left my favorite scarf in the hotel restaurant/bar on the 57th floor on a Saturday night, when I realized it the next morning I went to front desk to let them know what happened, they said they would check with the restaurant and lost and found. When I came back to check on it that evening they said they couldn't help me and acted like this was the first time they had heard the story and I would have to wait another 2 days. Evidently the restaurant/bar closes on sun/mon.
And on top of it all, we had gone to the 57th floor bar to see the view and have a cocktail.... Service was so bad we left.... We are only here because of a conference nearby, I would not stay here again!

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Denicarey,

Thank you for your feedback. This is definitely not the level of service we wish to provide to our guests. I have informed the department heads about your issue and we will discuss them thoroughly with our employees. I sincerely hope you will give us another chance so we can show you that this is not our standard! I am truly sorry.

If you require any assistance do not hesitate to contact me.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed on one of the higher floors of the hotel and the view from the room was stunning. The Bar on the top floor of the hotel was one of the best places you can have a drink due to view over Vienna. With regards to location I would give this 4/5 only because it is a little way from the city centre yet there is a train stop 5 minutes away so we had no problems getting around Vienna. The room was stunning finished to a high standard. Overall, loved this hotel and would return if I was to stay in Vienna again.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear HeatherJoanne,

Thank you for your wonderful review on Tripadvisor. I have shared it with the team and we highly appreciate it.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed at the Melia hotel in Vienna on the 31st of May and the 1St of June 2014. I was there for the life ball party and booked a junior suite for me and my friend!

Before the actual stay I emailed them with a question concerning airport transfers and the advertised private check in and check out, as well as a question concerning early check in. I sent said email on the 29th of April. Upon not getting a reply I emailed them again on the 8th of May. I then got a reply very quickly so I'm guessing they just missed the email by accident (it happens toe everyone). Please note that the private check in/Check out is on their website by mistake and is not available yet!

We arrived at the hotel around 10AM and our room was already available and we even got an upgrade. However the beds in that room were twin beds, which we noticed once we got upstairs. So as soon as they brought our luggage up to the room we asked to be changed into a room with a normal 2 person bed which was no problem at all. They even moved all our stuff for us, and even were so thoughtful to plug my phone which was charging in the first room into an outlet in the new room on the 11th floor!

The room was very big and spacious, and had loads of natural light! There's black out shutters so you won't have any problems with the sun rising! The bathroom had both a tub as a shower, and comes with a mirror with decent backlighting! Which as a make up artist who had to get ready for life ball was a blessing!

We ordered some cocktails and food while we were getting ready. Which were all great, and were quickly delivered to the room!

I will probably stay here again on my next trip to Vienna and had a great time!

Please note that a lot of taxi drivers don't know how to reach the hotel, that is because it's pretty new!

Room Tip: Junior suites are spacious and very good value!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank KennethBE
Dear KennethBE

Thank you for the great review! I have shared your comments with the team and we are sorry for the inconveniences you had prior to your stay. It makes me very happy that you enjoyed the hotel so much and we are looking forward to your next stay.

Mae Rim, Thailand
Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 3 nights.
The rooms are modern but the bathroom is all in black and quite dark. The service in the restaurant was so so. Breakfast buffet was very nice. The view is great which makes the room look bigger.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Israthai
Dear Israthai,
Thank you for your nice comment on Tripadvisor. I am sorry you did not like the design of the bathroom. We are actually thinking about installing an extra light. Thank you for that tip!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Uppsala, Sweden
Reviewed 1 June 2014

This is a new hotel. As I remember from Melia communications (I'm their frequent quest) it was supposed to be another ME hotel, but then the brand was changed to Melia, don't know why. The hotel itself is really nice. It all looks like ME London or ME Madrid: modern, stylish and funky. Even a fridge/mini-bar was similar to that in ME Madrid. The design of the hotel's lobby, restaurant and public areas is really trendy and cool. There is also really nice bar 57 on the upper floor (though views are not amazing, it's far from the city centre). I liked that all a lot. Then I also liked wall-tall windows in a room. Again it's really cool and not common in Europe, you feel like staying somewhere in Manhattan or Hong Kong. The standard room was of proper size with nice modern design and very comfy bad. It's sad however that standard rooms are not equipped with even a chair (and not sofa for sure) and the desk is very small. So the only what you can do in your room: lay down on a bad. The breakfast was great, even a bit crowded.

Then I have to move to negative points. I have to say it's all about staffs. I really felt like they are absolutely not trained, don't know all the details about their property and don't make any effort to make a stay pleasant. They are so focused on themselves that it looks like gusts disturb them. It's the worst experience in terms of customer service in Melia I've ever had.

1. Check-in. There were a couple of staffs, talking by phone and doing their own staff when we arrived. No greetings. Ok, I waited. One finished phone call and disappeared. Ok, I waited. Finally the second one greeted me. As a Melia frequent guest I asked for a room upgrade (it's privilege for MeliaRewards status members upon availability), but the answer was: no-no, we're so sorry, we're fully booked, no Premium rooms available.
Ok, fine, if it's not available.

2. Room/phone.
While in the room I noticed it's with shower only. I decided to call reception and ask for replacement. I was calling-calling-calling-calling. Nobody picked up the phone. Ok. I went down. My first question was about the phone: I have been calling you for 10 minutes, but nobody answered. Maybe it's something wrong with the phone line in my room?
The same front dest clerk answered: No-no. I saw your call, but I was busy.
WHAT?! OMG! It's worse than 2* service.

3. Room upgrade.
Then I asked for a room changed I was told that all standard rooms are not equipped with bathtub. Only premium rooms are equipped with them and I could get that room for 60 eur extra. OMG2! The same women told me 15 minutes ago that they were fully booked and thus she could not give me upgrade to a Premium room. Now she was selling me Premium room for 60 eur. It's really cheap and I felt myself very bad about that. I asked her why she lied me 15 min ago, and she said that MeliaRewards status means nothing for her: People are paying a lot of money and we don't count any statuses.

I barely could believe that it was happening in reality. I asked to talk to a manager on duty, but he was "absent". Of course. I asked to call me back when he's available. Should I said that nobody called me?

4. Call/call/call
Once during my stay I called reception/concierge (wanted to ask them to book me a table). Should I say that nobody picked up phone?

5. Checking out
My room rate was prepaid and I needed to pay only 29 eur + taxes. How was I surprised when was asked to pay about 300 eur. Their system did not show prepayment and it took 10 minutes to fix this. Fortunately I was not in hurry. And again, besides being not very skilled (three staffs were involved in the process of solving the problem) they did not really care of being nice or providing proper service.

6. Level room - what is that?
I was not smart enough to book 2 stays in this hotel in May 14: one for myself and other one for a friend of mine. I booked for her Level room, that is 50-60% more expensive, but should be larger and with lounge access.
After checking in my friend called me and said that she had the room exactly like mine and asked if that was right. How do you think was that right? I sent her back to reception and they changed a room to real Level room without any excuses, just: oh yes, you booked Level room. Do you have a reservation to show me?

Don't you think it's absolutely crazy? You book a premium room, but they give standard one by default and even don't check what you paid for. It's absolutely unacceptable. You can pay for President suite and end up in standard room. Level rooms come with the Level lounge access. Nobody among staffs has ever heard about a Level lounge, so they did not provide an access to the lounge. Basically they were selling the product that they cannot offer.

OVERALL:
I recommend you to stay aaa from the hotel for the next 12 months while they train their staffs. For the moment both their skills and attitude are on the level of a hostel. You can pay, but they don't find the payment. You can pay for a Suite and end up in a standard room. You can pay for a service that the hotel cannot provide. And please: do not disturb staffs, they are too busy to pick up phones.

There are plenty of places to stay in Vienna where staffs have different attitude.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Cestovatel_W
Dear Cestovatel_W,

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. It’s nice to hear that you enjoyed the property.

We take your complaint very serious. We are in a constant process of training and educating our staff. I will take your comments directly to the responsible department heads. I am personally very shocked about your experiences. This is definitely not the service standard we have set ourselves. I will personally make sure that your case will remain unique.

We would really appreciate if you would return one day so we can show you that this is truly not the experience we want our guests to have!