“Worst experience ever at a hotel”
Review of Pension Stadtpark

Pension Stadtpark
Ranked #298 of 360 Hotels in Vienna
Edmonton, Canada
“Worst experience ever at a hotel”
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We arrived at this hotel after a short walk from the central station. We were very tired after being on the train for 10 hours. My girlfriend checked in and got a room for 3 people (they have a chart on the wall with the prices for 1,2,3 and 4 person rooms). We explained that we would need a wake up call in a couple hours so we could go to the airport to pick up our friend that was flying in from Canada. She was very nice and said just to wait a few minutes so she could have the maid prepare the other bed / couch for the third guest. We slept for 2 hours and went to the airport to pick up our friend. when we returned and were walking to our room and a man started yelling at me in German and would not let us walk to our room. I showed him the room key and apologized for not speaking German. Then a different woman came to the front desk and started translating for us. Shockingly, this man was the hotel owner and there was no dispute that we had paid for a room for 3 people. After listening to them argue in German for few minutes, I asked if my friend could leave his bag in the room so we could go eat while they figured out whatever the problem was. The man said yes, but only if he walked to the room alone?! After going to eat, we returned to the hotel and were told we could not stay at the hotel unless we rented a separate room for our friend. I pointed out that this made no sense because we had already paid for a room for 3 people. Then she explained that the problem was that our friend was a guy!? I pointed out that nowhere on the price chart did it say rooms for 3 people can only be 2 girls and 1 guy. Now I was quite offended because they were implying that my girlfriend (who doesn't even wear make up and it the opposite of promiscuous) is some kind of hussy. Then she explained that the owner is very religious and 2 men can only sleep in the same room with a woman if they are related?! I had enough at this point and just asked for my money back. He refused, because he said we already used the room. I said fine, then divide the price of the room by 24 and charge me for 4 hours. He refused. We ended up getting less than half of our money back. I've spent years of my life traveling and would have to say this is worst experience I've ever had at a hotel!

Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Chris M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Located in the Third District, right at the Landstrasse U-Bahn and Wien Mitte S-Bahn stations, Pension Stadtpark provides economical, no-nonsense accommodation with easy access to the heart of Vienna. My single room was small but neat and clean. I must say that the bathroom was somewhat cramped and which I can only describe as a plastic pod that seemed to date from the 1970s. It may be worth staying there to experience this feature alone. I noticed that double rooms were larger and more comfortable. The hotel occupies two floors of an old apartment building (altbau) and guests ride a classical Viennese elevator, around which the building’s central core staircase winds. The staff were helpful and friendly and the breakfast was modest but fresh and good.

For guests at Pension Stadtpark and visitors to Vienna in general, I recommend a walk on Landstrasser Haupstrasse in the direction away from the First District. A few blocks away is the charming Rochusmarkt, which features a delightful variety of shops including a cosy vinotek and gourmet food shop (fein kost) called Arrigo and the Zuckergoscherl Café.

Pension Stadtpark is a worthwhile and economical alternative to the more expensive hotels near the First District of Vienna. The hotel is also located for extremely easy access to the S-Bahn (S7) or CAT trains to the airport.

Room Tip: Single rooms are quite small, but comfortable.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Paul G
Reviewed 1 May 2012

The location is great, the room is small by efficient, wifi works great, breakfast is rich and I really enjoy it. The only thing to me is the refrigerator doesn't work.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dublin
Reviewed 4 June 2011

Myself and girlfriend stayed here for 3 nights. Location is very good, right beside Landstrasse Station and only about 10mins walk to main centre square. Very easy access for getting to airport as well. Hotel is strange in that it only starts on level 2 of the building and is really a set of apartments. Some of the staff were most unfriendly and portrayed a "Dont distrub me attitude" whilst others were very nice. It is a dreary place. Room was a good size but everything in it is very old and not very clean. Old couch was cover with very old rug etc. No black out on window curtains. Sheets on beds were clean but duvets under the sheets were very old and badly worn. Bathroom was not the cleanest and sink had no drain plug, shower screen was dirty. We wouldnt stay again. Breakfast was basic, cold buffet only but ok. All in all not good value for money at €99 per night. Free wifi was a plus.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DubCoup

Travellers are raving about these Vienna hotels

Malaysia
Reviewed 1 April 2011

Pension Stadtpark is located just 3 minutes walk to the U-Bahn (U3 & U4) and the CAT (airport transfer). And if you take the U3, the 1st District is only 2 stops away. All train stations are connected via the U-Bahn. So, it's really convenient.

The hotel itself is okay. The place is quite dreary but if you just want a place to stay, it works.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Bratislava
Reviewed 6 January 2010

I`ve spent 2nights here on my business trip to vienna a year ago, and was fully satisfied with service of the hotel and liked the location as well- it`s straight by U4 metro station, and you can take a nice short walk to wiener stadtpark. Noices at night were the thing i counted with (it comes so if you choose to sleep in city center on a busy street), but were not so bad. Rooms are simple with old furniture, bathroom too small, but clean.
I loved the breakfast, i wasn`t there in a busy season and i woke up early so i had a place to sit, and i can clearly remember great linzer torte they served there:-)
not the best, not the worst place to stay.

• Stayed March 2008, travelled on business
chicago
Reviewed 25 October 2009

My husband and i stayed here for 6 nights (my mother in law came too, and had her own room). very clean and great location BUT our bed was 2 twins pushed together, which is ok however, the foundation looked like a full size box spring and then they had plywood on top of that and THEN our twins on top, so it made our beds very uncomfortable.

I wouldn't stay here again bc of the beds.

also, my mother in law stayed for a week last year, and we asked very nicely if they could serve us coffee an hour before breakfast started (very late, 730am) and they said they'd think about it. Now, my mother in law has spent a lot of money here since she has stayed twice now and got us to stay there on this trip. how hard is it to accommodate paying guests?

the church across the street is very loud when bells go off starting at 7a, we wore ear plugs. luckily it was cold out so we didn't open the windows at night, otherwise, the ear plugs would not have helped.

oh and the single towel bar in the bathroom was broken, so the cleaning person would put it back together but it'd still be broken!! why would they go through the trouble of assembling it without actually fixing it? one touch would send all the towels plus the metal bar crashing to the floor. kinda comical but annoying.

room was very clean but the other negatives outweigh staying here again unless there were no reasonably priced rooms to be had in vienna.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with family