“Swindlers - Do NOT Recommend”

Hotel Pension Corvinus
Ranked #186 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I booked our reservation six months in advance of our stay. While we were traveling around Europe, I got a message telling me there was a problem with our reservation (from a third-party booking agency). Because I didn't know who this agency was, I contacted the hotel directly about our reservation. I was told they indeed canceled our reservation-but they did have "one" room left (of course, that would have been MY room they just cancelled). I could, however, make a new reservation, but because congress was in-town and they were fully booked it was a significant increase in-cost. (That would have totally blew our budget!) It appears they "cancelled" our reservation, but when we called about it it - they wanted more money. They put us in a horrible position trying to find a hotel, at the last minute, in a city where all the hotel rooms were sold-out. This is why I booked six months in advance. We walked by this hotel during our stay and "checked it out' to see where we would have been staying. The entrance was in a scary alley-type/hall-way which was all under construction and the elevator was very tiny. Our friends stayed at a hotel next door and complained about the noise - so I can imagine this property was loud, too. Awful - I would not recommend!

Room Tip: To find a good room - choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 October 2012

With booking.com and my IPad an error was made and a reservation was made for a night I was already booked elsewhere. The gentleman called at midnight asking if I was coming and I told him a mistake had been made and I wanted the next two nights. The price went up 50 euro for the next two nights. He gave me no refund for the night the mistake was made. He tried to get us to pay cash but we raised a ruckus on that front. The rooms was incredibly small, the beds were funky, and the street noise both nights from late night partiers was terrible. I would NOT recommend this place.

Room Tip: Make sure you do your homework on reading reviews and check the room out before you give payment.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Just like in the other review I was taken aback when checking in because of the small elivator taking us to the 3rd floor and a locked door at the entrance to the Hotel. But my doubts were dispelled very quickly after an extremely friendly welcome by the owner of the Hotel. The room was pretty nice, very clean with a nice big and tidy bathroom. The bed and pillows are very comfortable. I slept away hardly waking up in the night. The only drawback (and it is not the Hotel's fault) is that it is increadibly noisy in the mornings startingt from around 6:30 am. There is a major renovation going on downstairs. Frankly speaking I don't know if the noise is made by them or people cleaning the steets. But be prepaired to lots of shouting and trucks unloading something really heavy. I can't say anything about the breakfast as I never used it.
The location of the Hotel is perfect to me. It has the U-bahn that will take you to most historical places. But actually you can reach them by walking if you are a fan of walks.
So, I recommend the Hotel if you don't mind early wake up ;)

Room Tip: I don't know if there are rooms facing the inner yard but if there are do ask for it because tho...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I had a great experience at Hotel Pension Corvinus. The family that owns the hotel was very friendly and welcoming, even making me breakfast on my last day when I had overslept and missed their breakfast time. The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and the hotel is really close to a major metro stop (and on a very tempting shopping street). I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 July 2012

My husband and I spent three nights at the Pension Corvinus. We were a bit taken aback at first when we checked in and were told to not put the air conditioning below 24 degrees Celsius and the owner was quite abrasive about this. There was a heat wave happening and we worried about being too hot. Also, we were asked to pay for the nights as soon as we checked in--we hadn't even seen the room yet. We told him we would pay for the first night only in advance and that went fine. The owner seemed to lighten up after staying there for a day.
The wifi worked well. Bathroom was small, but tidy; there was a water sensor that was a bit touchy on the sink. The desk was staffed late, but the door was often locked and we needed to ring a bell.
Breakfast was nice and the room was clean and comfortable. As other reviews have said, the location is very good with access to the subway, lots of shopping and restaurants, and even an English language movie theater.
There is nothing wrong with the hotel, just be prepared to refuse to pay for your whole stay upfront, get receipts when you pay, and bump up the AC if you need to.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Great location near the U-3 U-bahn line. Although the hotel is well-marked, it's a bit hard to find the entrance and elevator up to the reception area. The room was clean and comfortable, which helps make for an enjoyable stay. WiFi worked well. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. For example, we had an early morning train and the staff had coffee and snacks ready for us before the official breakfast hours. We would definitely stay here again when in Vienna.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2011

The Hotel Corvinus is an excellent family run small hotel-pension. Well located, can walk to all. Parking garage nearby. We found the staff to be particularly friendly and helpful. Owner noticed from my passport that it was my birthday and surprised me at breakfast with a gift- a nice bottle of champagne.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family