“Wary because of reviews but very pleasantly surprised!”

Hotel Pension Corvinus
Ranked #185 of 359 Hotels in Vienna
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I was staying here for a work trip and was travelling alone. I'd read reviews which had made me wary of the location, about paying in cash up front and about poor service. However, I loved this little hotel and felt very safe away from home.

The location is on one of the main strips in Vienna, I was a 5 minute walk from a large supermarket which was perfect. The entrance to the hotel looks a little run down, and I didn't use the lifts instead choosing the wide staircase every time.

The hotel owner was lovely, he asked if I would be paying up front, and I simply asked if I could pay on check out and he said this was no problem. From there they couldn't do enough for me, even bringing me cups of tea to my room whenever I wanted. (there was no kettle in the room but there was a well stocked mini bar)

I was in one of the rooms which I think is away from the main street so it was very quiet. The room was pretty small but I was very comfortable, and had space to do my work and with great wifi!

Breakfast was pretty good, lots of meats, cheese, eggs and bread and great coffee.

I was really happy here, and would definitely go back. The location alone is fantastic making it easy for shopping, and also for getting to the airport as you're only a short walk away from a subway stop.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 January 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for four nights while visiting Vienna. It is located in a convenient area only a block away from the Metro and from there only a couple of stops to the center of the city.

While we were there there was quite a bit of construction going on, so it was noisy in the morning since the workmen started early. Mariahifer Strasse is a busy street with many stores and there was quite a bit of street noise at night too. It was unusually hot when we were there, and getting the air conditioner to work correctly was a struggle. We had to ask the owner a couple of times for the remote control for the air conditioner; I think he thought it would be sufficient just to keep the windows open, but that didn't work because there wasn't much air in the room and there was a lot of noise from the street.

The room was modern and the bathroom crisp and updated. The breakfast in the morning was good, but got repetitive after a few days. The coffee was wonderful.

There is a beautiful church that we enjoyed visiting next door to the building where the hotel is located.

The Hotel Pension Corvinus was a convenient, reasonably priced, and nice place to stay during our trip to Vienna.

Room Tip: It would probably be better to get a room that faces the inner courtyard, not the noisy street.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Stayed here recently for two nights. My first impression was not good, The gentleman checking me n who i belive to be the owner barely spoke to me, he did have various conveersations with other staff and another guest (who he got up walked away from the desk to get the other guest a coffee leaving me waiting for my room) when he finnnally got around to checking me in he informedd me (at 3pm) my room was not ready and wait there a few minutes... eventually he brought me to the room and stood waiting for a tip I presume all that was missing was the hand out,
The room was lovely, very clean a real credit to housekepping and the bed was comfy. The hotel itself is in a brilliant location maybe 10 minutes from all the sights and there is plenty around the hotel to keep yourself occupied. also free wi fi in the hotel is a plus. Foe those first time travellers who would not be good with buses etc the hotel provide a transfer to the airport for around €30. mini bar in the room with €2.50per item is not too bad either.
on check out there was another gentleman there not friendly either. the owner went down to the room to check everything was ok he then came back up shouting that i had brroken something. he accused me of breaking a window in the room. a window that I did not use. he said if it was not me it was my guest... I travelled alone? he told me it would cost €100 to fix I think to appeal to my better nature to offer money needles to say I did not as I did not touch the window. he then proceded to explain my bill how much Bed and breakfast was, What? breakfast oh thank you very much for informing me that you serve breakfast when I am checking out!!!!

For the sake of the hotel they need a new front of house man. You are working in hospitality start acting like it!!!

Room Tip: Do not expect much on service from the owner. everything else is ok
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DavidMcGing
Reviewed 5 November 2012

This was our second stay here, and it felt like coming home. It is a small and comfortable hotel on the upper floors of a building on Vienna's busiest shopping street, bustling by day and quiet at night. It is beautifully located, a block from a subway station, just a couple of stops from St. Stephan's Platz one way and the Westbahnhof the other, and a comfortable walk from the Ringstrasse and Naschmarkt, very near the restaurants of the Spittalberg area. The host, Zoltan Esti, is very accomodating and helpful, arranged to have our laundry done and arranged for a ride to the airport. Comfortable beds, good breakfasts, and a computer in the lobby for our use.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 October 2012

I booked our reservation six months in advance of our stay. While we were traveling around Europe, I got a message telling me there was a problem with our reservation (from a third-party booking agency). Because I didn't know who this agency was, I contacted the hotel directly about our reservation. I was told they indeed canceled our reservation-but they did have "one" room left (of course, that would have been MY room they just cancelled). I could, however, make a new reservation, but because congress was in-town and they were fully booked it was a significant increase in-cost. (That would have totally blew our budget!) It appears they "cancelled" our reservation, but when we called about it it - they wanted more money. They put us in a horrible position trying to find a hotel, at the last minute, in a city where all the hotel rooms were sold-out. This is why I booked six months in advance. We walked by this hotel during our stay and "checked it out' to see where we would have been staying. The entrance was in a scary alley-type/hall-way which was all under construction and the elevator was very tiny. Our friends stayed at a hotel next door and complained about the noise - so I can imagine this property was loud, too. Awful - I would not recommend!

Room Tip: To find a good room - choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2012

With booking.com and my IPad an error was made and a reservation was made for a night I was already booked elsewhere. The gentleman called at midnight asking if I was coming and I told him a mistake had been made and I wanted the next two nights. The price went up 50 euro for the next two nights. He gave me no refund for the night the mistake was made. He tried to get us to pay cash but we raised a ruckus on that front. The rooms was incredibly small, the beds were funky, and the street noise both nights from late night partiers was terrible. I would NOT recommend this place.

Room Tip: Make sure you do your homework on reading reviews and check the room out before you give payment.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2012

Just like in the other review I was taken aback when checking in because of the small elivator taking us to the 3rd floor and a locked door at the entrance to the Hotel. But my doubts were dispelled very quickly after an extremely friendly welcome by the owner of the Hotel. The room was pretty nice, very clean with a nice big and tidy bathroom. The bed and pillows are very comfortable. I slept away hardly waking up in the night. The only drawback (and it is not the Hotel's fault) is that it is increadibly noisy in the mornings startingt from around 6:30 am. There is a major renovation going on downstairs. Frankly speaking I don't know if the noise is made by them or people cleaning the steets. But be prepaired to lots of shouting and trucks unloading something really heavy. I can't say anything about the breakfast as I never used it.
The location of the Hotel is perfect to me. It has the U-bahn that will take you to most historical places. But actually you can reach them by walking if you are a fan of walks.
So, I recommend the Hotel if you don't mind early wake up ;)

Room Tip: I don't know if there are rooms facing the inner yard but if there are do ask for it because tho...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple